Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1297655 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:24 am »

Some things I'd like to see in the next few updates are more NPCS and shop owners in NPC citys.

Word.  This is a longer-term goal; before I make NPCs a bigger part of the game, I have to make sure their behavior is up to snuff.  Right now they're... a little prone to error spam, crashes, and stupid behavior.

How about you Could get sickness from butchering dead zombies?
Also there could be a raider or gang-like factions that fight with eachother.

Zombies + Gang wars = TEH WINZ

Among my sources of inspiration are Mad Max / The Road Warrior, The Warriors, and Fallout.  Post-apocalyptic gangs are near and dear to my heart!

Question: Did you intend for things to randomly spawn and despawn in basements? If not then we may have a bit of an issue as I went to sleep in an empty basement, woke up to a wolf running around passively and with a message telling me that I 'woke up to lights' despite waking up at 3 in the morning with no lights on in the basement!

Just a heads up for you Whales.

Edit: Also, I recommend toning down the recoil effect, it's a little silly to build up so much bad recoil by firing a small little USP. Or maybe be able to adopt a stance that will significantly reduce recoil but requires you to stand still.

Heh, interesting basement stuff indeed.  The wolf thing is symptomatic of a bigger problem with my monster-generating system, but the light thing I can take of easily.  Thanks for the bug report!

Regarding recoil, what's your strength?  Higher strength makes controlling recoil easier.  Recoil represents how a single shot temporarily throws your aim slightly off alignment; this can be present in even a .22 handgun.  If you ignore recoil, you can fire handguns pretty quickly; recoil limits you to 2 or 3 shots per turn, followed by a pause or movement to reduce it.

This game is cruel. I took illiteracy and I spawned in a house surrounded by libraries filled to the brim with useful reading material.
But those books make such good fire materials!

Acording to alfie the reason the windows version crash is when generating the overmap.

Hmm.  It could be a file input/output issue.  The overmap is just the first thing that tries to open a file (when you generate an overmap it first tries to load an existing one).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2011, 12:46:04 am »

What are those blinking red asterisk dots on the overhead map?

Also, is there a way to play on the server but save your character locally? 
EDIT: After reading my second question, this actually makes no sense, because of the persistent world deal and everything.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2011, 12:49:33 am »

Also, is there a way to play on the server but save your character locally? 
EDIT: After reading my second question, this actually makes no sense, because of the persistent world deal and everything.

One of the biggest barriers for any kind of long term play is the lack of reliable saving. I COULD build up a base and stockpile food and equipment... but the minute I turn the game off it's all gone and I start from scratch.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2011, 12:51:44 am »

Stuff

Actually without a overmap the game will cause a SEGFAULT in make_shopkeeper() at line 580
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2011, 12:55:36 am »

Yeah I had a save slot then it disappeared after I saved and quit a second time.  I've been loading other people's save files and some of them look like they aren't even playing anymore.  Is it really that expensive to pay for a server to host a world and more save files?  I think that this limitation on saving is bad for the game's publicity, as it's a huge turn off as you've said Vorbicon. 

With that said, I'm glad that there are people passionate enough to create great games essentially for free.  I will definitely donate some money once a Windows version comes out.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2011, 01:02:17 am »

Combining my exe with alfies overmap enables you to play tho ranged weapons might not work. or not show bullets.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3676056/Cata_win32.rar

Edit: Alot of stuff will crash you,tutorial,ingame manual
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:13:16 am by head »

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2011, 01:28:49 am »

I have 11 for str, dex, int and 10 for per.

Is it possible to boost your attributes over time as well? If not may be taken into consideration.

As for the wolf in the basement problem, it definitely is a bug. I went upstairs after killing the wolf for a split second, didn't even leave the room the stairs were in and when I went back downstairs three zombies were there, which was bizarre.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2011, 01:36:41 am »

Yeah I had a save slot then it disappeared after I saved and quit a second time.  I've been loading other people's save files and some of them look like they aren't even playing anymore.  Is it really that expensive to pay for a server to host a world and more save files?  I think that this limitation on saving is bad for the game's publicity, as it's a huge turn off as you've said Vorbicon. 

With that said, I'm glad that there are people passionate enough to create great games essentially for free.  I will definitely donate some money once a Windows version comes out.

I believe it was stared earlier that it was simply a software limitation planned to be changed ASAP, as that many people and the online play was not expected.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2011, 02:26:21 am »

Sheesh, really should be getting to bed but I thought I'd add this bug (or hilarious feature) to be checked out.

If you ask nearly any NPC to heal you, they will almost always immediately consume all of the drugs/food items in their inventory. Since the AI loves to stockpile any drugs they can find, it's sort of like a "kill this NPC" button. For instance, while back in the thread I posted about this, and the NPC in question had on him around 50 or so units of cocaine. I ask him to heal me, he snorts all of it in a few seconds, takes a few steps and keels over from a massive heart attack. Very lulzy.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2011, 02:59:20 am »

Code: [Select]
Disconnected: No supported authetication methods available.What to do with that?
EDIT: Never mind.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:02:54 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2011, 03:12:26 am »

It's your current mission goal.  Since missions just get in the way, this has been removed from newer versions of the game (Eronarn is running an old one).

I believe it was stared earlier that it was simply a software limitation planned to be changed ASAP, as that many people and the online play was not expected.

Yes, I now see how much of a problem this is.  I'm going to try to update it within the day, and see if I can get Eronarn to do a much-needed update.

Not to beat a dead horse, but sadly right now I am dirt poor.  I've tried to keep a lid on the game, since it's in a very flawed state right now, but of course leaks happen ;)  And they tend to be good motivation for fixing the game!

I have 11 for str, dex, int and 10 for per.

Is it possible to boost your attributes over time as well? If not may be taken into consideration.

Yes, it's possible to boost your attributes, but unlike nethack or crawl, these increases will not happen on their own.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheesh, really should be getting to bed but I thought I'd add this bug (or hilarious feature) to be checked out.

If you ask nearly any NPC to heal you, they will almost always immediately consume all of the drugs/food items in their inventory. Since the AI loves to stockpile any drugs they can find, it's sort of like a "kill this NPC" button. For instance, while back in the thread I posted about this, and the NPC in question had on him around 50 or so units of cocaine. I ask him to heal me, he snorts all of it in a few seconds, takes a few steps and keels over from a massive heart attack. Very lulzy.

Heh, fun!  NPCs with no sense of self-control.  NPCs will use "escape items" if they feel the need to evade trouble quickly.  This includes items that help them to move faster, like cocaine.  Clearly I need to put some kind of self-imposed cap on drug doses.  I'm also not sure why asking for healing causes an NPC to decide it needs to use an escape item, but I'll look into it.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2011, 03:45:28 am »

I've downloaded Puppy Linux, and have almost finished downloading virtual box. I have used Ubuntu and Fedora before so I know my way around Linux some, but I have never used git before. I'm reading through the git manual right now but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around git-clone etc.

If it's not too much Whales (or anyone else, for that matter), could you please write up a quick tutorial on getting git and copying your git repository and pulling from the git? Many many thanks!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:47:04 am by dbfuru »

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2011, 03:53:32 am »

There are so many bodies around tutorial room, it makes me a bit nervous :P Someone started a fire in the basement lol
Can items get damaged? I just found a scratched bike helmet.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:58:01 am by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2011, 04:10:48 am »

I've downloaded Puppy Linux, and have almost finished downloading virtual box. I have used Ubuntu and Fedora before so I know my way around Linux some, but I have never used git before. I'm reading through the git manual right now but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around git-clone etc.

If it's not too much Whales (or anyone else, for that matter), could you please write up a quick tutorial on getting git and copying your git repository and pulling from the git? Many many thanks!

1)  Install git (this depends on your distro)
2)  cd to the directory where you want Cataclysm to be installed (e.g. '~/code')
3)  Run "git clone git://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm.git".  This will probably take a little while.
4)  You're done!  Type "make" to compile as usual.  To pull the latest updates, type "git pull".

EDIT: Depending on your version of git, the commands might be "git clone" and "git pull" with spaces, or "git-clone" and "git-pull".  It's the two-word versions for me, try with the dashes if that doesn't work for you.

There are so many bodies around tutorial room, it makes me a bit nervous :P Someone started a fire in the basement lol
Can items get damaged? I just found a scratched bike helmet.

Those are probably just people who 'Q'uit the tutorial.  I really need to make it so the tutorial room is reset for each player!
And yes, items get damaged.  Armor sustains damage when monsters hit you, acid damages some items, wood items can be burned, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:16:56 am by Whales »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2011, 04:41:53 am »

I have some space / bw on my vps.

also did you see my /windows/ error report while im guessing generateing the overmap

condensed ver: Segfault npc.cpp line 580

EDIT: I seem to have almost fully working windows version now.

I had to comment out the timespec/nanosleep() in ranged.cpp but everything else in there seems work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT2:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3676056/Cata_win32.rar

Download link. I'm sure everything everything will work. Be nice if someone could test ranged weapons
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:01:16 am by head »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 777