Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1297596 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2011, 01:26:11 am »

Wasps are bad too, two wasps killed me in the middle of Town once. They were scary fast :O
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2011, 01:26:37 am »

Dem crashes, man.  :'(
This so much. Fix the constant crashing and buggy NPC's, and you can pretty much put the game up in 'Beta' status. After that all it needs is factions, cars, fleshed out mechanics/electronics, and occasional hotfixes.

Furthermore, we need meth-labs. And the chance that making meth causes a random explosion or fire. O.o

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2011, 01:36:48 am »

So you guys do not hole up in any of those "special" tiles?  From what I can discern on the map, it looks like there are abandoned missile silos, research labs, and little barricaded complexes.

@quinnr
I didn't *pass* the tutorial, I just picked up all the stuff and then went downstairs to a huge fire till I got tired of trying to navigate around it.  Does the tutorial city differ in anyway from a city that you play in if you play with a custom character?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2011, 01:39:54 am »

Wasps are bad too, two wasps killed me in the middle of Town once. They were scary fast :O
You should totally invite the creator of this game to make an account on B12 and post in this thread!

Also yes to meth labs.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2011, 02:35:39 am »

So I asked Whales and you can also get into the Sewer via the manholes with a crowbar.

And if you want to have a little fun, type 'Z', then '/mininuke' then enter. Use it like a grenade.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2011, 03:06:55 am »

Hey guys, Whales here, creator of cataclysm.  Thanks to all of you for giving it a try!

First off: no, there is no Windows version yet.  I'd *love* to have a Windows version, but I don't own a copy of Windows, and I don't know anything about compiling for it.
A friend of mine has put some work into getting cataclysm to compile on Windows, and I believe that right now it *will* compile, but it will then proceed to crash after the main menu.
If any of you are interested in helping me port, and know a bit about compiling C++ under Windows, I'd really, REALLY appreciate help in this area.

That said, I am very actively developing cataclysm, and generally there's a new version every few days.  Yes, my blog is dead, but it was boring and I never had anything to say.  If you're compiling cataclysm yourself, I strongly suggest looking into using git.  Once you clone my git repository, you can simply do "git pull" to update yourself to the latest version.

If you are compiling your own version of cataclysm, I'd also really appreciate it if you ran cataclysm inside gdb.  Install gdb first ("sudo apt-get install gdb" should work in Ubuntu), then instead of running "./cataclysm" run "gdb ./cataclysm", then enter "r" at the prompt it gives you.  This way, if the game crashes you can enter "bt" and it'll give you what's called a backtrace--a way to pinpoint exactly what caused the bug.  If you email the text of the backtrace to me, you will earn my everlasting thanks and will be canonized in NAMES_(FE)MALE :P

RIght now I'm focusing on making NPCs less buggy/crashy and more effective in combat.  I'm also introducing a mission system into the game, which will make it a bit more than just a big old sandbox.

Meth labs will be rolled into my next update, thanks for the idea :P

Hitting enter while on the map screen to "quick travel" is, in fact, cheating!  It's meant as a debug tool to help you playtest those missile silos more easily.  Use it if you like, just be aware that it's not meant as part of the game.

The game's still very young, and needs a lot of balancing.  I really welcome criticism, questions, suggestions, etc., either here or by email.  And again, thanks for playing!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2011, 03:09:58 am »

Hey there, just want to say you have an awesome game here. Anyways I would like to ask, how are factions going to act in the game? I heard somewhere that they were going to all be randomly generated, with random motives, goals, and mindsets. And a follow up, whats the progress on factions?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2011, 03:18:22 am »

Hey there, just want to say you have an awesome game here. Anyways I would like to ask, how are factions going to act in the game? I heard somewhere that they were going to all be randomly generated, with random motives, goals, and mindsets. And a follow up, whats the progress on factions?

Hey, thanks for saying so.  Factions are going to be what populates those "forts" you see sometimes, the little villages surrounded by walls.  They are, in fact, already generated--just not saved!  If you're running cataclysm locally, try deleting all save files ("rm save/*") and starting a new game.  Hit '#' and a list of the world's factions will appear.  Each one has a random goal, one or two sources of income (farming, raiding, protection rackets, manufacture of goods, etc), and one or two random attributes which affect how they'll interact with you.  Their name is then generated based on these values.
As soon as I have NPCs working well, they'll mostly belong to factions--and many will be able to assign you missions which will improve your standing with that faction.  Factions will also occupy territory, and compete with each other for resources.  This is all "you might see it in a year" stuff, so don't get too excited.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2011, 03:21:46 am »

Just chiming in as well, you have another faithful follower here thanks to Bay12 members. A couple questions though; I notice that you automatically use up 100 units of inhaler just for an asthma attack, either that or is it bugged to disappear after usage?

Is there any way to turn off debug mode? I sort of lost a really awesome guy complete with katana and H&K .45 cal sub machine gun among other such things.

I would advise slowing down the need for food and drink, it's just a few clicks too fast for comfort.

As for supplies, do you plan on having new random things respawn from time to time in buildings or is it a case of once you use/find it, it's gone forever, thus having a need to conserve and hoard your things?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2011, 03:25:03 am »

Ah, guess I just haven't discovered any factions yet.

Also a few suggestions. There should be a chance in world generation that military inhabit a part of an area. The Military will be hostile NPC's that are heavily armed, and patrol/guard a certain area. It would be hard to kill them, but the reward could be all the military grade weapons and supplies.

I would also like to suggest in the future once factions are all done, that a player can create his own faction. This would probally be something along the lines of get atleast 10ish people in a group and attempt to have them agree to make a faction with you.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2011, 03:32:32 am »

Just chiming in as well, you have another faithful follower here thanks to Bay12 members. A couple questions though; I notice that you automatically use up 100 units of inhaler just for an asthma attack, either that or is it bugged to disappear after usage?

Is there any way to turn off debug mode? I sort of lost a really awesome guy complete with katana and H&K .45 cal sub machine gun among other such things.

I would advise slowing down the need for food and drink, it's just a few clicks too fast for comfort.

As for supplies, do you plan on having new random things respawn from time to time in buildings or is it a case of once you use/find it, it's gone forever, thus having a need to conserve and hoard your things?

Hmm, the asthma thing must be a recent bug, I'll fix it, thanks.

Debug mode can be toggled with ~.  Right now, NPCs aren't saved, so if one is bothering you, just save your game, and then load it up and the NPC will have magically disappeared!

Thanks for the input on food & drink, I'll consider slowing it.  It's hard to get a sense of what's too fast/hard; I have no problem maintaning my food/water supply, but then I'm clearly more well-trained than the average player :P

Items do not respawn, and never will.  This means that you must carefully manage resources if you are going to stay still--or adopt a nomadic lifestyle, moving from town to town.  Since the world is infinite, you'll never run out of supplies if you keep moving down the road.

Ah, guess I just haven't discovered any factions yet.

Also a few suggestions. There should be a chance in world generation that military inhabit a part of an area. The Military will be hostile NPC's that are heavily armed, and patrol/guard a certain area. It would be hard to kill them, but the reward could be all the military grade weapons and supplies.

I would also like to suggest in the future once factions are all done, that a player can create his own faction. This would probally be something along the lines of get atleast 10ish people in a group and attempt to have them agree to make a faction with you.

Oh, I should've mentioned, the military is a faction that exists in every game.  They mostly uphold pre-apocalypse laws, but won't bother the player unless you're really causing trouble.

Creating a faction is a very cool idea, and I like the idea of taking the game in a DF-like direction; take that faction and construct your own little outpost, see how long you can make it last.  Of course, this is all dreaming for now.  The first step is reasonable NPCs and basic faction mechanics!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2011, 03:36:17 am »

One of the things I like about this game is that there is no wiki for it, or any clear way to easily find all of the info about the game (to my knowledge.). Its fun to discover something in the game you had no idea existed, I was suprised when I met my first boomer, then my first spitter, zombie necromancer, shock zombie, GIANT BEE's, and alot of other things. I just want to say Kudos for making an actual zombie survival game.
Welcome to Reality.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2011, 04:03:23 am »

Yeah, I'm primarily speaking from inexperience when I talk about the food and water problem but in my experience playing other roguelikes that depend on food and water like nethack, dungeon crawl, and rogue survivor, it IS perhaps just a LITTLE fast. I would probably try and gather a survey of sorts to see what other people think about it before tweaking it.

A great idea just popped into mind since you mentioned infinitely generating landscape. Some kind of transportable carrying thing to stow spare items and the like, giving you a bit of flexibility and altering how you enter town since big moving objects would attract attention of potential friend and foe alike. If you plan on introducing vehicles, an RV or a big rig could fit this bill VERY nicely, although having it go offroad would be impossible.

I think perhaps being able to dig holes in the ground to stow away items would be viable, especially if you're living in a forest type area and you don't want random wanderers from finding and picking up your stash.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2011, 05:30:30 am »

Played for a bit until I got a crash after picking up some Dayquil, still feeling a bit sick so I didn't play for long. Enjoyable so far though! Keep up the good work.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2011, 05:57:45 am »

Yeah, I'm primarily speaking from inexperience when I talk about the food and water problem but in my experience playing other roguelikes that depend on food and water like nethack, dungeon crawl, and rogue survivor, it IS perhaps just a LITTLE fast. I would probably try and gather a survey of sorts to see what other people think about it before tweaking it.

A great idea just popped into mind since you mentioned infinitely generating landscape. Some kind of transportable carrying thing to stow spare items and the like, giving you a bit of flexibility and altering how you enter town since big moving objects would attract attention of potential friend and foe alike. If you plan on introducing vehicles, an RV or a big rig could fit this bill VERY nicely, although having it go offroad would be impossible.

I think perhaps being able to dig holes in the ground to stow away items would be viable, especially if you're living in a forest type area and you don't want random wanderers from finding and picking up your stash.
all terrain vehicle with 4x4 steering with a trunk would do nicely aka a hummer.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 777