Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295641 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9825 on: June 12, 2012, 12:09:42 pm »

...try to activate it?

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: June 12, 2012, 12:14:33 pm »

I have take it from npc and is armed... But if i "a"ctive it, don't work....

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: June 12, 2012, 12:19:12 pm »

If it's C4(active) it's ticking down. I suggest you throw it.

If the C4 was activated by an NPC you should toss it anyway. NPC's using C4 is bugged I think, all other explosives have set timers, where C4 allows one to input a timer. So if an NPC activates C4 it's probably set to some NAN integer, effectively rendering it useless.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: June 12, 2012, 12:19:30 pm »

NPC items (and NPC in general) are bugged.  Abandon ship.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: June 12, 2012, 12:20:21 pm »

:0(

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:30 pm »

Meh. I'm still sticking with the x-mas version.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: June 12, 2012, 04:51:45 pm »

Anybody have any tips for moving through towns without getting mobbed?  Or general survival tips?  I feel like Cataclysm should be a really fun game, but I keep accidentally downloading Run For Fifteen Minutes and then Die:  The Official Game of the Movie
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: June 12, 2012, 04:55:14 pm »

Some basic guidelines:

1: Fire. Get small burnables like rags and extra clothes and what not. Move through buildings, and before exiting and entering light a small fire. This messes up the ability of zombies to smell you.

2: Avoid smashing down doors and windows when possible - it makes noise. However, if you move quick and do the fire thing, by the time the zombies get there you can easily be gone.

3: Try to stay behind houses and in alleyways, and to leave buildings from the opposite side you came in from since zombies might be tracking your sent. This directly contradicts rule 2, yes, but is still valid.

4. Carry a silent weapon and a heavy weapon. The silent weapon will be for taking out lone enemies (try to slow them down with window frames or fences first) or small groups in an area that aren't done looting. This should be a sign to get out SOON, though. The heavy weapon is for taking out brutes and hulks - immediately afterwards, book it - house dive with the fire trick as best you can.

Other hints:
Crowbars let you open locked doors without making noise.
Keep some painkiller and stimulant on you at all times. Be ready to use the stimulant at the first sign of real trouble, and the painkiller as soon as you are hurt.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:58:13 pm by GlyphGryph »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: June 12, 2012, 05:54:32 pm »

NPCs aren't buggy (most of the time ;) ), but they do occasionally hand off a useless item like already-active C4.  Just drop it, you're fine.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »

Your single greatest goal in the game is to keep your pain level below Moderate.  Minor pain is meh.  Moderate pain you should be popping aspirin.  You can take tons of aspirin with slow-acting painkiller and no addiction.  If you're on aspirin and you're still moderate, start with codeine or tramadol.

Drugs are life.  Tramadol, oxycodone, and adderall are your all-powerful lifesavers.  If you're not on an opiate addition, you're likely dead.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: June 12, 2012, 07:46:40 pm »

Thanks for the make fire tips to cover the scent, will be helpfull.

A question about surviving, once my character got seen/scented by a zombie, usually at this point, whatever direction i'm going to run, there will be zombies (or worse) coming to my character, even in places i moved through and were empty before probably due to some spawning thing going

And usually it happens rather early in the game while i'm looking for items convenientely :)

So is it possible to actually escape those spawning hordes, so they "lose" your scent/track/whatever guide them to your location, or are they going to follow you to the end of the world ?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: June 12, 2012, 07:52:48 pm »

PTW because I need to play this again.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: June 12, 2012, 07:55:07 pm »

You can lose zombies by outrunning them, covering your scent, ducking through buildings, etc.

However, as long as you're in a zombie-infested area, they'll continue to spawn on occasion.  It's possible to exterminate all zombies from an area, but it takes a looong time.

And for the record, it's very possible to survive and thrive without the use of any drugs at all.  Drugs do make the game much easier, but they're by no means required.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: June 12, 2012, 07:58:21 pm »

One of the most important things to learn is how to loot while being chased, then losing them once you're done. It only works in the early game when fast zombies and brutes and such aren't spawning. Cut through buildings with two exits to slow them down, popping adderall or caffeine pills like a madman, starting fires and using counters and fences. Taking Quick, Fast Runner, and Parkour Expert help. Taking meth if you have it can help in an extreme emergency, but you have to lose them before you crash or you're dead.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: June 12, 2012, 08:03:30 pm »

Great, i was worried that once they were on your track, it was until they were all (or more likely your character) dead. Will have to avoid cities too as from what i have read in the last pages of this thread, that's infested zone.

Thanks for the tips guys, will be very helpfull.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 777