Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295960 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9645 on: June 05, 2012, 04:35:50 pm »

Is there a rough idea of like, how far away certain features are? After vehicles, I'd really like to see NPCs fleshed out a little :D
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: June 05, 2012, 04:43:20 pm »

Well, vehicles are "in" now - I wouldn't mind learning what's next on the list as well, though!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: June 05, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »

The next version is progressing rapidly.  Real life continues to get in the way--I have relatives visiting me this week--but I just got NPCs to successfully save.  I'll be adding in a few randomized wandering NPCs, and then releasing.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: June 05, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »

What's the difference between a wheel and a large wheel in vehicle construction?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: June 05, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »

The next version is progressing rapidly.  Real life continues to get in the way--I have relatives visiting me this week--but I just got NPCs to successfully save.  I'll be adding in a few randomized wandering NPCs, and then releasing.

Excellent! :) Also, playing this while rewatching the Walking Dead is glorious.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Argwm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: June 05, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »

Hehehe... Turns out, Schizophrenia might be a source for infinite food, I had hallucinations from teleporting, And I had a fake zombie walk into a dissector, And it threw out chunks of meat.

Mmmm, I love non existing foods.

Large wheels appear to be much better, After replacing each wheel with a large wheel, I gained an extra 8 top safe speed per replacement.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: June 05, 2012, 07:08:26 pm »

Sort of annoyed at how two-stage constructions require you to have the mats for the first stage in your inventory in order to build the second stage, even though the first stage is already built.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: June 05, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »

Excellent! :) Also, playing this while rewatching the Walking Dead is glorious.

Playing after hours of rereading the Walking Dead comics is even better.

Argwm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: June 05, 2012, 07:39:11 pm »

Sort of annoyed at how two-stage constructions require you to have the mats for the first stage in your inventory in order to build the second stage, even though the first stage is already built.

Indeed, I do remember this not always being the case, It must have been a semi-recent change.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: June 06, 2012, 04:31:52 am »

I not sure what happen to my guy......Out for no were a large amount for animals came and just killed me :'((Is this a bug or did i get a lot for bad luck?)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: June 06, 2012, 06:20:06 am »

The problem with the old spawning mechanic is that it made it too easy. Run a block down, and then run back and all the zombies are gone. That was because the 'window' in which entities were tracked was much smaller.

However, WHERE zombies spawn could use some work, but I'm not sure how one would go about improving it.

Tie a character's general use of an area [how long they've been there, maybe tracking zombie kills as well] to a number that decreases spawn chances in a region area by x depending on how long they've been there.

Like, if you're using one building for months and killing 300 zombies a day within a square block, that area should be considered 'clean' by Armageddon standards. Instead of now, where if you do that and wake up on day 181, you've still got 300 zombies to kill within a square mile. It's a bit obnoxious and kinda gets rid of the point of even trying to kill them in the first place.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: June 06, 2012, 06:57:04 am »

I recall Whales saying earlier in the thread at some point (no, I'm not going to find it) that it already works similarly to that. As in it has a population of zombies that you reduce by killing them, and when it reaches 0 they stop spawning. I don't know if it also reduces the numbers spawning gradually until you get to 0, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Of course, just because you kill all the zombies in an area doesn't mean they won't migrate in from the surrounding areas...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: June 06, 2012, 07:04:39 am »

I recall Whales saying earlier in the thread at some point (no, I'm not going to find it) that it already works similarly to that. As in it has a population of zombies that you reduce by killing them, and when it reaches 0 they stop spawning. I don't know if it also reduces the numbers spawning gradually until you get to 0, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Of course, just because you kill all the zombies in an area doesn't mean they won't migrate in from the surrounding areas...

When I've killed thousands of zombies in a town that has >100 buildings, there's something wrong. Unless someone's shipping in new zombies every morning I don't see how that'd be.

I've literally never seen a place where Zombies won't spawn since the new spawn mechanics. Even after months of killing zombies in seperate games, especially in my Rambo-Longbow games, where a year in zombies are still spawning directly outside my forge/base. It's ridiculous.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: June 06, 2012, 07:14:19 am »

That's why I always make my base in those sewer treatment plants, no zombies ever spawn there and you can drink the green sewer stuff. It actually turns into water if you put it in a bottle so I suppose that is a bug.

Now I just need to not die when I get out of the plants...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:34:08 am by Dutchling »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: June 06, 2012, 08:33:21 am »

Building a base in the forest works well too. I found a house in the middle of a forest that worked well... Until that plant queens started spawning from every directions and eventually destroyed my house. I destroyed their base and that heart beating sound stopped but I guess that doesn't stop them from spawning.
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 777