Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294709 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9180 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:49 am »

I'd go with whalesdev.com since the first post hasn't updated since Feburary and the last version was april 7.
Nom nom nom

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:06 pm »

Day 11 and my latest is still alive... I have no idea how this is happening, but I'm having so much fun, and I'm going to be soooooo bummed when he eventually trips over a situation he can't handle. :) It will happen... but it hasn't yet.

This is the first character I've had where I'm actually over the whole initial stage of just needing to desperately scavenge supplies and run from everything I see; he's actually gathered enough good clothing, supplies, equipment and skillpoints, that now I'm looking for a secluded place to build my own little cabin and fortify it with traps and pits and all manner of funky toys. :D

I started off crafting spears and learning to throw. Best choice I ever made, IMO. With 4-5 skillpoints in throwing, a metal spear can headshot and kill all manner of zombies in 1-2 throws. And for backup (and meat butchering), a combat knife thrown last has always finished the job (so far, anyway).

I figured out the whole "Oh god they're faster than me" problem, too: Adderall and Cocaine. The latter is for emergencies, though. Both combined can get me up to 140~ish speed, enough to outrun every mob type I've encountered so far, including Fast Z's, Triffids and those weird floating eyeball things that shoot lasers...

Being primarily ranged, I let my char be 7 Torso encumbered with a kevlar vest and backpack. Even without the vest, the backpack alone brings it up to 4 encumberance, and that alone is enough to fully negate my Melee/Dodge skills. So, what the hell- I'm reasonably sure I don't end up with minus skillpoints, so why not wear both and have the awesome protection from the kevlar that has seen me brush off so many hits to the chest as easily as if I were being pelted with bits of cheese?

Nyte Winterfall has a terrible name, but so far, he is a spear-and-bat-weilding badass.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: April 10, 2012, 02:56:13 am »

I desire the pyromaniac trait greatly. Get moral by starting fires~

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9183 on: April 10, 2012, 01:03:24 pm »

Can we chop trees for wood? There are wood axes, and recipes for making 2x4s from sticks... seems logical, but I'm not sure how to do it, if it's even possible.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: April 10, 2012, 01:27:04 pm »

You can if you download the mod linked in my signature :P
*Hugs*

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: April 10, 2012, 02:02:53 pm »

Will I have to start a new game?

I was looking at that mod earlier today, but wasn't sure I liked the sound of the crafting changes ("modified, rebalanced and generally just made different"). The rest sounds excellent, though.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: April 10, 2012, 02:15:37 pm »

Yeah, saves are waay incompatible.

The construction stuff was mostly made to work with his lumberjacking stuff.
*Hugs*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: April 10, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »

IIRC you can still just punch saplings for heavy sticks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: April 10, 2012, 03:58:17 pm »

I'll install it after this character dies. Day 1? (the second digit is cut off, but it's probably Day 13 or 14) (Edit: I figured out that actually, the day ticks back to 1 when a new season starts. So I'm actually on "Summer, Day 2" now) and still going strong. Throwing is up to 7 now, not even Brutes are giving me much trouble anymore. :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:40:24 pm by Moogie »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:17 pm »

One tip about myriad stuff mod. wooden walls are not indestructible, combine them with trap pits and other stuff.

also, find a truck and ram it through the back wall of the bank, it doesn't set off the alarm and if you do it right you can tap the vault door hard enough to open it.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:08 pm »

Jackhammers and some explosives can break through walls. If you have it, the sonic resonator CBM will also do the trick.

I've never found anything useful in banks though; Just the occasional purifier and worthless gold bars. It's better to just set off the alarm and kill the copbots.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:33 pm »

Holy shit, do I have a story to tell. WITH PICTURES!

tl;dr: My character is invincible.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:33:46 am by Moogie »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: April 10, 2012, 11:36:33 pm »

Wonderful escape, there! Enjoyable read, love that stuff.

Hey, Whales, any word on that web interface? Obviously not a priority, but you seemed pretty confident you'd be able to essentially just throw it up, via one of the sites I linked I think, so I figured I'd ask.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: April 11, 2012, 12:32:34 am »

i.e. you did better than I ever could (the most I've had a character survive is one night.

I hate wolves.

I love them. They are my primary source of food, since everything in the world has long since rotten. Wolves are great because I don't have to chase them down like the deer.

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: April 11, 2012, 02:21:47 am »

Well, I just posted a little update for The Darkling Wolf's mod, I've got downloads for both sources and Windows binaries!
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=727.msg18220#msg18220
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 777