Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1298217 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #915 on: July 03, 2011, 04:29:52 pm »

I've got another teensy suggestion. (I do tend to suggest a lot, don't I?)

Bunker Gear, AKA The thing firefighters wear.
A heavy suit of fire-resistant materials. Would quickly encumber you, thus making fighting a bit clumsy, but would make you pretty much invulnerable against fires.
The suit could also efficiently protect against weaker attacks, but then again, at the cost of speed.

The suit would be perfect for those who tend to play with fire. Lighters and molotov cocktails are all fair game once you're the Fire God.

Obviously found at the local Fire Station, unless you prefer not to have too many different buildings. I guess a Police Station could hold some too that way.

Not a bad idea, I'm into opening up the fire parts of the game.  Total invulnerability is something I'd steer away from though, since half the fun of fire is how dangerous it can be if you're not careful.

Alright, so I tried a Schizophrenic round.

Nope, that's a very, very rare natural occurence.

I think a fire station could be cool. If anything so we could get fire axes. Hehe.

Well, there's wood axes, which are essentially the same thing, just a little bigger.  Fire stations could be a good source for oxygen masks, I guess?
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 03, 2011, 04:30:37 pm »

I tried the game a little, seems fun!
But I don't understand why the map view is so tiny, there is so much empty space on the screen.

I found a bug in the tutorial. If i set afire the gasoline, the pump explodes and the fire spreads everywhere. Then the player dies, but if I run the tutorial again, the status of the tutorial room is the same, so the tutorial itself starts with you caught in a hell of flames. I solved deleting all the files in the 'save' directory.

Anyway, good job!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 03, 2011, 04:45:51 pm »

Whales, do you plan on expanding the current "overheating" system, maybe at least providing us with some more indicators? I've never got any idea how hot I am until its too late (maybe I'm missing something).

Will we eventually have to deal with frosts and cold spells and frostbite (a la Unreal World)?
Extreme heat waves (though it seems like thats always the state we're in now considering how little clothes are needed to quickly get overheated)?
If not, maybe extremely hot/cold area? (sections of science labs, maybe? Cryo rooms... even freezers in a butchers or restaurant. Nice strong doors, keeps out all the zombies, but super cold inside?)

This could easily tie into firefighter gear - it will protect you from overheating when near fire for a while (note that normal firefighter gear is NOT fireproof, merely fire retardant. It will not burn, but will not protect you from actually standing in fire. It does work really well against ambient heat and steam, though. You could give it actual fire protection, but make it degrade quickly?). You'd need a proximity suit for actual flame resistance (which would probably require a science lab or military base), and even that would degrade steadily while standing in flame, if not as fast as a normal fire suit, giving only temporary immunity. (This is the kind of thing lava researchers wear)

If nothing else, you could have a constant "temperature" based on some starting region - Do you start in the tropics? The temperate regions? Somewhere subarctic, like Canada?

Of course, that would eventually be a lot of work, since right now fire doesn't even generate light, forget heat. It seems to act more like... acid, I guess? Burns on contact, but no issues from proximity.

And finally:
Yes, please give us the option to put things on spaces next to us, or maybe even throw liquids without throwing the container! (Scoop up the zombie acid and use it as a weapon, mwahahah!)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:47:41 pm by GlyphGryph »

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 03, 2011, 04:46:53 pm »

I downloaded the source, but...how do I play it? Didn't get it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 03, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »

You compile the source if you want to play, or you download one of Heads executables (a couple pages earlier).

Someone should really put a link to Head's stuff on RogueBasin or otherwise update that article. I'd do it, but wiki's terrify me.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 03, 2011, 04:57:17 pm »

Since DNS hates me I've temporarily moved the wiki to http://whoopshop.com/catawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 03, 2011, 05:48:02 pm »

Fire should spread only through flammable surfaces... I died from the wildfire that resulted from me throwing a molotov at a turret underground in a lab. Or do the Science Labs have wooden floors? :\

This was my first character to explore a Science Lab.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 03, 2011, 05:48:20 pm »

A few suggestions for weapons:

- Throwing weapons like throwing knives, darts, tomahawks, ninja stars, ect.
- Flare guns which can be used as weapons, to ignite things from afar, and could be (a)pplied to shoot a flare in the air which would stop zombies for a few seconds (like in Land of the Dead).
- Holographic and Laser sights which would maybe increase accurateness by a tiny bit and have no negatives?
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 03, 2011, 05:51:10 pm »

So, I was following this http://whoopshop.com/catawiki/index.php/Download, and I got stuck here:

10. In the terminal type "cd path/to/dir"

When i type it, it says: no such file or directory.
Am i doing something wrong, or what?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 03, 2011, 05:53:04 pm »

Are you literally typing "path/to/dir"?

Because it means, type the path to your directory. Not actually "path"/"to"/"dir"

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 03, 2011, 05:55:42 pm »

Ah, i thought that, but the // confused me... Thanks!

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 03, 2011, 05:57:39 pm »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 03, 2011, 06:13:34 pm »

Someone should really put a link to Head's stuff on RogueBasin or otherwise update that article. I'd do it, but wiki's terrify me.
Made some changes.

If anyone wants something added or changed and is ... terrified ... of wikis, lemme know.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 03, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 03, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »

Okay since I'm totally new to this... I currently have virtual box running (Posting from it even) and I compiled myself a copy of the game. Yet it doesn't actually run. The terminal just kinda stays there doing nothing. I'm curious as a newbie to this, what did I do wrong here?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 777