Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294691 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8055 on: November 19, 2011, 05:29:08 pm »

I think that's exactly the point he's making, is that having a bunch of mere greens doesn't deter you much.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: November 19, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »

Megastores are amazing.

My starting character, unskilled but well-armed with a revolver, 9mm smg and rifle, had no problems clearing a 9-tile metastore on the first day. I was less than impressed. [sorry whales - you might want to tweak this]

Zombies are pushovers, always have been. Wait til you get swarmed by wolves, giant bees, mutated monstrocities, and robots or manhacks.

Me, I have no guns. I rarely get guns and when I do, I stick to something as close to silent as possible, add a silencer, and use it only as a last resort.

I'll stick to my trusty machete, my friends.

In other news, its 3 PM - Day 1 and I'm still alive. Though I've been playing for months, that's a new record. :P I never go for continuity; I go for fast-and-hard flaming death. I think I'll stick around this time, now that the new build is up.

...So many bugs, though... >_<
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: November 19, 2011, 05:38:41 pm »

Megastores are amazing.

My starting character, unskilled but well-armed with a revolver, 9mm smg and rifle, had no problems clearing a 9-tile metastore on the first day. I was less than impressed. [sorry whales - you might want to tweak this]

It's not meant to pose a challenge.  Just to avoid it being free megaloot.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: November 19, 2011, 06:37:19 pm »

It's not like they have tons of stuff, anyway. They're nice and all, but you'd get the same results raiding a couple of smaller, equivalent shops
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: November 19, 2011, 07:16:22 pm »

Yeah. Right.

I ran around my town killing and dodging zombies and I finally decided to take my first trip into the subway system. I was swarmed by CHUDs (Cannibals) and murdered. Even guns didn't do much against them.

Damn it, what a shitty end to a good run. I almost got to the second day too, I died against 7 CHUDs  and a Sewer Rat at 7:08 PM, Day 1. :)
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: November 19, 2011, 08:00:15 pm »

Sewing kits are bugged beyond use in the latest Windows version.

I tried restarting, dying, dropping, picking up singles and multiples, used it with all the confirmed repairable items, and every single time it says "You don't own this item"

Damn it.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: November 19, 2011, 08:36:43 pm »

Yeah. Right.

I ran around my town killing and dodging zombies and I finally decided to take my first trip into the subway system. I was swarmed by CHUDs (Cannibals) and murdered. Even guns didn't do much against them.

Damn it, what a shitty end to a good run. I almost got to the second day too, I died against 7 CHUDs  and a Sewer Rat at 7:08 PM, Day 1. :)

Very strange... has this changed? They seemed kind of squishy to me, before.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: November 19, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »

Is there any working Windows version with megastores?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: November 19, 2011, 11:00:48 pm »

SCHUDs are weaky. They're stronger than surface greenies, but I'd consider a Fast Zombie more dangerous.

Speaking of which, is it just me or are young fungaloids pretty hard punchers? I had to get past one and lost quite a bit of life in just two blows. (the problem being when rather than one fungaloid, you are somewhere surrounded by DOZENS. A couple of hits, pain sets in, and you can't outrun them anymore)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: November 19, 2011, 11:03:25 pm »

I died to one, critical shots with .22CB and Mosquito dealing 6-9 damage, where green criticals were 30+, and then ALL of my melee failed to hit, as the young fungaloid was standing in a broken window.  Confusing...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: November 19, 2011, 11:21:09 pm »

critical shots with .22CB and Mosquito dealing 6-9 damage

There's your problem. .22 is very weak, you can't expect to kill anything better than a green/fast/wolf very fast. Meaning that if you have to use that, you have to kite the monsters, and be prepared to having to reload.

Although TBH, given that it's underground, I think the best way to go would be to shoot the Chuds with a 9mm or larger. Even unsilenced.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: November 19, 2011, 11:24:22 pm »

Right, but against greens I was scoring 30+ damage, 45+ on headshots.  I could even score good hits on necros and brutes!  But something about that one young fungaloid...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: November 19, 2011, 11:26:21 pm »

oh, you meant fungaloids. I thought you meant schuds.

Fungaloids have another problem: They don't have a head. Hence you don't get the kind of criticals you can get with stuff that does have one. :p

BTW: In my recent experiences a marlin rifle is much better than any .22 handgun. +3 damage :)

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8068 on: November 19, 2011, 11:59:17 pm »

Damn, I'm going to go suicide one of my best, longest lived, and fav guys yet so I can update and use the new megastors.
please, tell me I can live in one and never leave?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: November 20, 2011, 12:02:17 am »

SCHUDs are weaky. They're stronger than surface greenies, but I'd consider a Fast Zombie more dangerous.

Speaking of which, is it just me or are young fungaloids pretty hard punchers? I had to get past one and lost quite a bit of life in just two blows. (the problem being when rather than one fungaloid, you are somewhere surrounded by DOZENS. A couple of hits, pain sets in, and you can't outrun them anymore)

2 Machete hits, max 3, always took out a fastie for me without issue.

I guess I was just unlucky.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 777