Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295171 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7770 on: November 10, 2011, 12:49:08 am »

Just click on this to download the latest (as of typing this) version, windows-compatible.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: November 10, 2011, 12:53:28 am »

I went there Aaron, I have absolutely no idea how to handle the source code that you just showed me, and the "how to compile" part of the forums was even more confusing.

Duel, that's a lot more useful, why couldn't I find anything like that somewhere else? :/

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: November 10, 2011, 01:01:15 am »

I went there Aaron, I have absolutely no idea how to handle the source code that you just showed me, and the "how to compile" part of the forums was even more confusing.

Duel, that's a lot more useful, why couldn't I find anything like that somewhere else? :/

There's a big "Downloads" button in the middle of the github page that takes you to where you get the .exe files...
Compiling is not necessary to play Cataclysm, unless you are on Linux, in which case compiling is about as easy as downloading the .exe.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: November 10, 2011, 01:02:41 am »

There's a button that says Downloads on the same tab strip thing that says Files. When you go there, basically just click the top one as it's usually the newest.
and ninja'd by the whale
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: November 10, 2011, 01:05:39 am »

Admittedly, that button IS nearly invisible. Same background as page (white on white), and then medium-grey text, saying "downloads" (multiple interpretations, might be some sort of stat... certainly not immediately obvious its what we're looking for)

I KNOW what I'm looking for and it still often takes me several seconds to find it. It is clearly now the primary focus of Github. ;)
I'm not surprised people have trouble finding it, to be honest.

Never quite understood why people just don't link to this page:
https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm/downloads

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: November 10, 2011, 01:26:21 am »

Because it's not in the OP? At least that's why I didn't. I was too lazy to actually go to the page and find it so that was my fault.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: November 10, 2011, 01:27:52 am »

Ah, now wait, see.  I would go to the github and click the "download" page, and then the big "download" link, which is a bunch of source files.  I had no idea to click the list of files under the big button.  Silly me for thinking "download means get the file"!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: November 10, 2011, 02:18:13 am »

I found a link in roguebasin to a list of compiled binaries for linux. Then again, given that compiling it has nearly no prerreqs, there's not much point..
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: November 10, 2011, 02:26:32 am »

Never quite understood why people just don't link to this page:
https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm/downloads

I have, several times, I even did it in giant letters once.
*Hugs*

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: November 10, 2011, 02:49:16 am »

I keep running into situations where I have to use a gun/molotov/whatever and instantly get swarmed by 30 or so zombies... running away works most of the time, but you know, still...

Also doing it like me and throwing randrom stuff (bad DF adv. mode habit) at enemys tends to also draw way to much attention if its glass. These zombies freaking hate people that litter

*throw bottle in zombies face - the moment the glass shards touch the ground, 20 angry-undead-environmentalists try to claw my face off to return me to mother nature.*

Haha, dear god...

>Raid sporting goods
>Sweet longbow + wood arrows
>Come at me bro
>You are not strong enough to draw the bow
>Throw it (9 dmg)
>Throw arrows >kills fast zombie
>who needs a bow anyway ~flexes and snorts coke
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:38:22 am by ThtblovesDF »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: November 10, 2011, 03:52:20 am »

Throw arrows, glorious...

I know morale and by extension XP are important, but how exactly?  I don't really see them doing anything, unless I'm misunderstanding the system?

Also where to hide?  I keep getting gangbanged everywhere and there's like a dozen of me dead in the streets.  Plus one time I just "stopped breathing" but I think that's because I popped a half dozen codeine, some caffeine, and whatever else happened to be behind the counter.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: November 10, 2011, 04:04:00 am »

You use EXP to level up skills as you use them, same as in every thing ever. Having higher morale means you gain more EXP.

And check the wiki, there's plenty of survival stuff on it.
*Hugs*

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: November 10, 2011, 05:20:50 am »

Skills don't appear on your status screen until they reach level 1.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: November 10, 2011, 05:45:18 am »

A single eyebot just droped 3 batterys and 7 other items (Attenna, electrostuff - the other eyebot that died droped.-- nothing.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: November 10, 2011, 05:55:03 am »

I don't find noise to be that much of a problem. You just have to keep moving.

(It's also better to try to keep it at "BANG!" at most. Blam and Kerblam do draw a lot of attention, but you can still avoid it if you move swiftly. Most of them will be green, which not only are slow and lost easily, but will stand in the way of faster and more dangerous zombies (like shockies, or acids)

I find fast zombies to be a threat in the early game, I tend to reserve bullets for them.

Also, on bows: ignore longbows but keep the arrows. Once you find a compound bow, train  till you get archery one (to make more arrows). I think it's important to keep a modicum of archery skill in order to be able to kill fungies safely and cost-effectively.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 777