Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295575 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7545 on: November 01, 2011, 10:45:15 pm »

Issues of awesomeness.  Unless, of course, there's a bunch of griefers.  It would suck to go out to find a kidnapped NPC, then triumphantly lead them back to their town, only to find that someone had suicide-bombed it.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: November 01, 2011, 11:52:06 pm »

Wat?

If you even implement the sheer possibility of such a thing, I'll donate $10 more to your game just for that. :P

:D
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: November 02, 2011, 01:59:07 am »

That exists already.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: November 02, 2011, 02:38:18 am »

Issues of awesomeness.  Unless, of course, there's a bunch of griefers.  It would suck to go out to find a kidnapped NPC, then triumphantly lead them back to their town, only to find that someone had suicide-bombed it.

It would be disappointing, but it would be the awesome, thematically-relevant, narrative-enriching kind of disappointment, therefore I approve.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:12 am »

I was in a bind because I started in a small town that was getting progressively overrun by fungaloids. So I decided to abandon my shit and make a run for it through the sewers. I was pretty sure my character was going to die in the dark, but I finally emerged in a new city. We'll see how it turns....
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: November 02, 2011, 11:30:40 am »

It would be disappointing, but it would be the awesome, thematically-relevant, narrative-enriching kind of disappointment, therefore I approve.

Well, only awesome so far as players acted rationally and accepted the consequences of their actions.  Finding a town had been burned down by a player because they were paid by an opposing faction to do so?  Arguably awesome.  Finding it burned down because someone just got bored and wanted to see what would happen?  Less awesome.
Sadly, given the nature of the internet, there's bound to be 1 or 2 people belonging to the latter camp...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: November 02, 2011, 11:50:09 am »

Have the NPC have dialog if their house has been burned down, and maybe an option to tell him to follow you as an ally?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: November 02, 2011, 12:27:57 pm »

Have the NPC have dialog if their house has been burned down, and maybe an option to tell him to follow you as an ally?
Want to hear something disturbing?
What?
I burned down your house, took all your drugs, and ate your children.
That *is* disturbing! What can I do?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: November 02, 2011, 02:58:40 pm »

Well, only awesome so far as players acted rationally and accepted the consequences of their actions.  Finding a town had been burned down by a player because they were paid by an opposing faction to do so?  Arguably awesome.  Finding it burned down because someone just got bored and wanted to see what would happen?  Less awesome.
Sadly, given the nature of the internet, there's bound to be 1 or 2 people belonging to the latter camp...

What?

it's the apocalypse. Civilization has just been fairly thoroughly ended. You don't think it's thematically appropriate to have a small number of people who just flip out and run around burning shit down, blowing things up, and killing anyone they see just for the hell of it and damn the consequences?

Edit: speaking of which, (simple) flamethrowers are still broken :(
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: November 02, 2011, 03:48:58 pm »

Hmmm, imo the homemade gauss rifle is kind of sucky at the moment. Requires somewhat high electronic skill levels to make (quite high, if you don't have an UPS), uses both nails, which are not that common, AND energy, and deals sucky damage. There's not much of a motivation to pursue that avenue...

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: November 02, 2011, 03:52:04 pm »

Edit: speaking of which, (simple) flamethrowers are still broken :(

Fixed :)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: November 02, 2011, 04:05:22 pm »

...what do I need to make flamethrowers, again? It's the second time I see people mention them, and I always forget to ask

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: November 02, 2011, 04:23:50 pm »

Firearms and mechanics skill, I don't remember what levels but fairly high... the guy who I made one on died (he totally would have survived if it worked :p) so I can't check.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: November 02, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »

Small suggestion: you should be able to add attachments to your gun with either 1 in the generic "firearms" skill or 1 in the respective gun's skill.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: November 02, 2011, 04:39:27 pm »

Hmmm, imo the homemade gauss rifle is kind of sucky at the moment. Requires somewhat high electronic skill levels to make (quite high, if you don't have an UPS), uses both nails, which are not that common, AND energy, and deals sucky damage. There's not much of a motivation to pursue that avenue...

You mean the coilgun? Yeah, that one was a bit hard to figure out. On one hand, there was the issue that you're still shooting nails, which aren't that that strong in the first place, on the other hand, it is a lot of work for an admittedly low-quality weapon.

Still, I'd argue that ammo isn't that rare at all. Unless you tend to build a lot, you'll have tons of excess nails, and you can get around 1000 batteries per electronics store if you're lucky.

It does make a good weapon late-game, when you've depleted all conventional ammo available. Still, perhaps it could use a small damage boost.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 777