Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1298089 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #750 on: July 01, 2011, 10:15:49 pm »

In the windows version, I opened up the status screen and froze, closed and reloaded, next time I opened it up I crashed and lost my saved game.  I think I'm done with this game until it's more stable, I really liked that character.
Shoes...

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 01, 2011, 10:25:44 pm »

In the windows version, I opened up the status screen and froze, closed and reloaded, next time I opened it up I crashed and lost my saved game.  I think I'm done with this game until it's more stable, I really liked that character.
You could always virtual a Linux version. It's what I'll be doing soon.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 01, 2011, 10:26:07 pm »

Is there any way to turn off the debug messages? That is really the only thing killing the game for me at this point.

I second the idea that you should remove save game deletion until it gets more stable.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 01, 2011, 10:28:38 pm »

Hit the ~ key.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 01, 2011, 10:35:38 pm »

I found a house next to mine, with a stairs going down, that leads to the exact same basement than my house, down to the exact content of the shelves.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 01, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »

Whales, are you planning on ever adding full-scale construction? Digging underground, building forts, chopping down forests, connecting all the houses with tunnels ...
Unless you ARE planning and you already told us so, in that case, disregard me.
I'm pretty sure he is planning it, the only question is WHEN.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 01, 2011, 10:47:05 pm »

Right now, I'd like for the various racks to be smashable and movable. It gets tricky trying to dodge spitters inside of stores, though maybe that is the point.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 01, 2011, 10:58:04 pm »

I side with that. Plus that would mean say... Being able to smash dressers for wood. So you can board up doors instead of the door FRAMES.

Has anyone made a guide about how to virtual the linux version though? I'm enjoying this enough that I kinda wanna totally eliminate the crashyness.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 01, 2011, 11:07:21 pm »

Alright, Here's my guide
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 01, 2011, 11:24:06 pm »

I side with that. Plus that would mean say... Being able to smash dressers for wood. So you can board up doors instead of the door FRAMES.

Has anyone made a guide about how to virtual the linux version though? I'm enjoying this enough that I kinda wanna totally eliminate the crashyness.

You already can smash dressers for wood.
Totally eliminate the crashyness?  Ahahaha IMPOSSIBLE

Is there any way to turn off the debug messages? That is really the only thing killing the game for me at this point.

I second the idea that you should remove save game deletion until it gets more stable.

Again, the game is in alpha development mode--until it's in beta, things will be configured to make further development easier, rather than to make the player's experience easier.  But yes, ~ will turn off debug messages.
Save game deletion has been moved to character death for some time--and there's autosave every half hour.

Really sorry the Windows version is so unstable.  I wish I could do something about that, but it's not my department.

I found a house next to mine, with a stairs going down, that leads to the exact same basement than my house, down to the exact content of the shelves.

It's an obnoxious bug.  When you go down a set of stairs, the game searches for the closest up-stair--which occasionally leads to weird collisions like this.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 01, 2011, 11:28:45 pm »

Another +1 on the movable objects so we can shove them in doorways to seal it up. The fact that you can move it will basically means it will just slow the zombies down rather than really stop them.
Ability to cut widows out of frame to bring back to "your" place to reair windows would be good as well. It would be big and bulky and delicate so not example combat worthy.

Is the SDL supposed to have such tiny text/overall size. the non sdl version is easier for me to read and see stuff in general. Is there some way to resize it?
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 01, 2011, 11:30:43 pm »

Is the regular version more stable?  Maybe I'll playing it on a virtual box
Shoes...

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 01, 2011, 11:34:05 pm »

Is the regular version more stable?  Maybe I'll playing it on a virtual box
In my experience, using virtualbox to run it is far less crashy than playing it via SSH/the windows version.

Zebulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 02, 2011, 12:17:09 am »

First up, I just wanted to thank Whales and Head for this game. I spent the last couple of days with free time and limited Internet access and Cataclysm provided tons of fun during that.

Second, bugs (from the windows Windows versions, 1.3.2 and 1.3.3); I had been playing on my crappy laptop with Vista on it, and the game worked beautifully. Then when I brought the game over to my desktop (which is XP), I occasionally would have the game just suddenly terminate. It seems whenever I check the @ screen, the game crashes after a few turns. If I try to access another menu after that, it, well, looks like this and crashes after a few seconds.

Looking back over the thread, it seems to be similar to what was happening here, so I'm guessing the issue is somehow related to the fact I'm running XP on the desktop. If I recall correctly, the non-SDL version was working fairly well on this machine (with only rare crashes from the @ screen).

Also, the bug Blaze mentioned about the config file. His fix seems to work until I have to run the .exe again, then it starts happening again. Basically I have to delete config every time.

-

And more widely addressed, as regards difficulty; I'd love to see more points at character creation (and/or the ability to buy traits and at least a few stat-ups via XP). I loves me some options (especially if they're roleplaying fodder!), but the current number of points seems to be somewhere between 'lacking' and 'barely adequate'. I think a couple more points would do it (or just 'difficulty settings' for it); after all this is a very finicky thing and subject to taste. I also like all the minor, 1 point advantages and would like to see more of those rather than more super strong ones.

Also, I haven't read every post in the thread, but I haven't seen fast travel mentioned at all. For those who don't know, if you use the map (m by default), scroll over to a place, and hit the Enter key you immediately teleport there. No random encounters, no time passes, nothing. I do love the fact that it keeps me from having to 'manually' trudge across the city every time I want to go somewhere, but as it stands it makes things somewhat absurdly easy.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to beg that it not be taken out as I find walking down the street over and over very boring. I would, however, love to see encounters occurring and time passing during it.

-

Lastly, and I'm sure this has come up time and time again, but I can't wait to have NPCs working properly. I've spoilered a few anecdotes here (mostly for length) where I had really interesting interactions with NPCs (which were cut tragically short by, well, you know.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 02, 2011, 12:22:56 am »

Zombie range REALLY needs to be reduced for the specials. I was just walking out from my safe house, a grocery store, and a shocker zombie became visible from a side where there was nothing but fields and immediately shot me the second he turned visible. No chance to move away.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 777