Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1296289 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7110 on: October 19, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »

Did you try turning debug messages on and seeing what it spat at you?

That I did not, because I wasn't thinking about it.  First I was messing around, then just trying to get away, and now the save is screwed.

Oh wait, after three tries, now the save does load from the last autosave.  I'll see what happens.

Crap, how do you turn on debug mode again?  Control-Z gives you the cheat menu, and it's not there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:08:44 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: October 19, 2011, 07:07:47 pm »

Ah well, I'll go lurk around some dead scientists until a necromancer shows up and see if something happens.
*Hugs*

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: October 19, 2011, 07:19:10 pm »

Welp, saved my save, I guess.  I don't know what I did, but the Necromancer just disappeared, and the tile itself wasn't the problem.

Clothing is layered in the order you put it on.  I want to change this (if you find a new t shirt and put it on, it should automatically go under anything you're already wearing), but I'm not sure the best course of action, so it'll remain as such for now.

I can confirm this is not working as intended.  I put on a raincoat, then put on a poncho, so the poncho is ordered lower on the list.  I get hit in the torso (badly), and the raincoat is damaged while the poncho is not.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: October 19, 2011, 08:46:48 pm »

There's a possibility for lower-worn articles to absorb the damage that passes by upper-worn articles.  This is as intended but may change in the future.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: October 19, 2011, 09:35:51 pm »

Is it actually possible to smash reinforced glass? It says smashable, but I got trapped in a lab by acid rain and didn't have the skill to hack the computer in the biotics lab (and didn't have the equipment/skill to explore the lower levels) so I smashed it for a few hours to pass the time and it never seemed to break.

Also a bug - it somehow seemed to acid rain INSIDE the lab or something... I was not injured by rain, but a glob of acid appeared on one of the piles of biotics and dissolved it. It was strange because it was not appearing anywhere else, just one glob on top of the counter to melt all those biotics then nothing.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: October 19, 2011, 09:43:12 pm »

I've seen necromancers  reviving dead rats and other nonzombie things in the past.

Maybe there's a bug with reviving scientists?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:17 pm »

And yeah, encumbrance was my first instinct but obviously doesn't necessarily work.  I might just end up adding an extra variable to clothing items to decide which layer they're on... but that isn't very expandable (if t-shirt is layer 1 and sweatshirt is layer 2, what happens when I add a button-down shirt, intended to be worn between the two?  I'd have to rewrite layer values all over).

Instead of discrete layers, you could just have "precedence" values, and sort all worn items from min to max. So a t-shirt could be 1 (minimum value or close to it), a dress shirt could be a little higher, a kevlar vest probably a little higher than that, jackets near the top, etc.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: October 19, 2011, 10:35:10 pm »

Right, the issue is with what happens when I have adjacent values and I want to put one in between them.  Making the values less discrete (e.g. 10, 20) is a solution, though it just pushes back the problem rather than truly fixing it.  Still pondering in the back of my mind, though it's not the most important issue.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: October 19, 2011, 10:42:26 pm »

Right, the issue is with what happens when I have adjacent values and I want to put one in between them.  Making the values less discrete (e.g. 10, 20) is a solution, though it just pushes back the problem rather than truly fixing it.  Still pondering in the back of my mind, though it's not the most important issue.

You could make it a float instead of an integer. If the number itself is invisible to the player, it shouldn't matter.

Also: If you use high-enough-precision numbers, even integers, the worst you'll have to do is recalibrate the values (on the order of "double everything" or "multiply everything by ten") in a fairly trivial way that won't affect anything.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: October 19, 2011, 10:49:11 pm »

Either way it's sloppy code that leads to a lot of more-or-less meaningless values in the item definitions that could leave future developers (or myself) scratching their head.  The kind of thing I like to try to avoid when I can see it happening.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: October 19, 2011, 11:05:00 pm »

The values are arbitrary, sure, but only because their meaning is relative to each other. I really can't think of a better way to do it. If there's some better way that's more conceptually solid instead of just all items being relative to each other, I agree that would be preferable. I'm not sure how that would be doable, though.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:58 pm »

By the way, if there are any writers here, I'd like for you to share your stories, songs, poetry, etc. in the thread I just made in the Creative Projects forum :) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95062.msg2695563#msg2695563
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: October 19, 2011, 11:23:26 pm »

Ok, Metabolic Interchange is my new BFF. It practically guarantees I'll never run out of energy from small drains like Air Filter and Enhanced Memory Banks. Also small blob boxing still works lol. I'm currently training up my dodge out of my 10k XP pool. Only down side is they have a fairly slow attack speed.

Edit: Also worms are the single greatest source of raw meat I've found. After weathering 2 straight days to get rid of my opiate addiction, I go outside to see dozens of corpses of worms that suicide rammed the building foundation :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:05:40 am by S.K. Ren »
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: October 20, 2011, 12:05:49 am »

Small blobs, huh? That's an idea I didn't have. Thanks ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7124 on: October 20, 2011, 12:50:29 am »

Why do the worms kill themselves anyway? Seems kinda silly, and trivializes them as a threat.

They'd be much more interesting if they just moved around the edges of the foundation until you left the building. They could just path to the closest point to whatever noise they're detecting, then go at you when you leave the house. Right now all they are is room service. Hungry? Just fire a shot and wait at your door for delivery.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 777