Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1298045 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #675 on: July 01, 2011, 09:23:03 am »

First off, you have about a half-hour to find yourself a decent weapon. I generally stick with blunt weapons such as pipes and two by fours. Keep An eye on the accuracy of the weapon, as a pipe can be better than a two by four simply by virtue of hitting the head more often. Also, if you'd really like to start with a dependable weapon, just start of by getting 6 skill in unarmed. You need some disadvantages for that, but you practically start off as a natural Muay Thai master.

Thanks for the time tip.  I once again say that half an hour is way too quick to start being mobbed, since it can take that long to search the house you start in, since it's guaranteed to have a basement.  Anyway, speaking of improvised weapons, I've found the steel chain to beat out everything else, if you'll pardon the pun.  Even with no skill and average strength, every other attack can do like 30+ damage a swing and knock a zombie off its feet.

And on guns... Right now, i'm considering testing a theory I have about shotgun use, but for the moment, it seems rifles are the best ranged weapon. Pistols are meant to be used less than 3 paces, and need reloading, so I don't quite recommend their use unless you really need to shoot.

If your theory is "shotguns are loud enough to attract enemies faster than you can kill them" I can vouch for that theory.  They also don't do group damage, like you might expect from videogame shotguns, or at least very little.

I find pistols, at least heavy ones like the M1911, to be quite useful against most zombies and animals (within three paces) as long as you're not really mobbed.  Instead of shooting everything dead though, I'll land one hit, then finish off in melee (preferably not pistol-whipping, but it works), since it does enough damage.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 01, 2011, 09:32:06 am »

Vodka and tequila are the poor man's raincoat

Yeah.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 01, 2011, 09:34:04 am »

Why does burning alcohol  (as a method of getting energy for implants) makes you drunk? Will there be ever cars? If yes, will they be able to carry only 52 items? Can spitters shoot through not broken windows? I'm pretty sure that all the wiindows in the home I was in were intact but acid got through anyway. And why are nails so rare when there is a lot of hammers :P
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 01, 2011, 09:47:23 am »

I keep starting out next to my old corpse... creepy.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 01, 2011, 10:02:19 am »

Why does burning alcohol (as a method of getting energy for implants) makes you drunk?
Seems logical to me. Imperfect oxidation would evaporate some of the alcohol, making you drunk through inhalation.
EDIT:(Should mention that I don't really have a clue what you're talking about, since I haven't got really far in the game.)

Also, this game is awesome. Died in Tutoral by pumping a fuckload of gas and lighting it on fire. Didn't think it would be so ... explosive.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:06:38 am by FunctionZero »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 01, 2011, 10:18:56 am »

Posting this information again.

Linux source : https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Linux bins : http://whoopshop.com/cataclysm
Windows Source:https://github.com/headswe/Cataclysm
Windows Bins: ^ (Press download)
Wiki : http://cataclysm.whoopshop.com (If you can't view it it means the DNS haven't updated for you yet
(Click to see if it has updated for you )
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:25:00 am by head »
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 01, 2011, 10:19:23 am »

Wow... I just got unarmed up to a ridicullously high level, and I'm decapitating them...

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 01, 2011, 10:27:08 am »

Rain is a bit too depressing. I've gone suicidal due to it. :o
Perhaps the perk Seattlite, which makes you used to rain. :P It's all we get 'round here...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:29:44 am by Geen »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 01, 2011, 10:28:49 am »

I always go with quick + fleet footed. It makes getting high melee REALLY easy. No zombie can attack me the turn it moves to a neighbouring tile. It means I can hit and move back any common zombie and level my melee combat really fast. I usually get it to level 4-5 in my first day.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 01, 2011, 10:44:35 am »

I could be doing something stupid, but...

On head's SDL Windows version 1.3.2, the title menu is extremely slow to respond to arrow key presses, and often doesn't respond at all.  Memory/CPU usage is normal- it's just unresponsive.  Any suggestions/more info needed from me?

Using Putty into Eronarn's server is no problem.

I figured it out.  It's an issue with my setup and how SDL handles keypresses.  It's the difference between (I think- I'm reverse translating from libtcod, which is my SDL experience) wait_for_keypress and check_for_keypress.  You're using check- I had to use wait for my personal setup.  It's not something you should fix just for me, but at least I know what it is now.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:55:53 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 01, 2011, 10:54:44 am »

A bug/exploit. If you continually unload and reload a gun, you get skill in that weapon type. So you can sit somewhere and quickly get a few levels of a various weapon, regardless of whether or not there are zombies nearby.

It's meant to only take you up to level 1, I'll examine the code.

Small suggestion, make it so dropping items works like picking them up, checking them off to be dropped instead of instantly dropping each item individually. This'll slow down dropping one item a little bit but I often find it annoying when I have to clear out a lot of items and keep inventory of my inventory between drops, which tends to happen when you reach the item limit.

Also, if items wont be stackable for awhile yet maybe have it so items of the same type are ordered together instead of ordered in the sequence that they were picked up.

Multidrop is a planned feature.

Whales, problem: gyroscopic stabilizers decrease accuracy by 3 instead of increasing it.

Are you sure about this?  Pretty sure it doesn't.

I hear you guys complaining about the rapid spawns.  I will increase the "breather" effect--basically turning spawns off after you face a lot of enemies.  I will also try to include more options for getting yourself unfucked :)
As it is, yes, even if you're silent monsters will still spawn, just more slowly.
If that's the case, then the clock is definitely too damn short, especially for the very start of the game.

I guess that's kinda the point I want to make.  For a game about "survive the zombies", it shouldn't be impossible to survive one day as a non-combat or running optimized character with good firearms.  Kinda makes it pointless to be anything but.  I know roguelikes are supposed to be as much about luck as skill, but it seems like
having any chance at living more than an hour or so is totally arbitrary.

I disagree--I think that roguelikes are much LESS about luck than most games.  And cataclysm is no exception.  Survival is not totally arbitrary, and even given a crappy character with no applicable skills, I rarely survive for less than a couple days--and that is without leaving cities.  Most other players rarely if ever die in the first few hours.  If you know how to survive, you will, regardless of luck.

The character this happened with is dead, so I can't check his traits. I had a random character where every time a peaceful woodland critter was in view, said critter made a beeline to my character and stood right next to him. He may or may not have had animal empathy, but the text only says peaceful critters won't run away, not that they will approach.

Ah, yes. Latest version, Linux.

Yes, that's animal empathy and it's buggy.  It's on my todo list.

Why does burning alcohol  (as a method of getting energy for implants) makes you drunk? Will there be ever cars? If yes, will they be able to carry only 52 items? Can spitters shoot through not broken windows? I'm pretty sure that all the wiindows in the home I was in were intact but acid got through anyway. And why are nails so rare when there is a lot of hammers :P

It's the Bender of Futurama implant.  You still process the alcohol through your liver or something.  I dunno, invent your own pseudo-scientific explanation!
There might be cars one day but that's ages from now.
Spitters can shoot through transparent but solid tiles, it's a noted bug.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 01, 2011, 11:12:27 am »

@head: The wiki opens normally, and I can browse it and stuff, but I get a "the website cannot be found error" whenever I try to edit anything. Not sure if that's the DNS not updated yet or if it's something with how mediawiki is set up.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 01, 2011, 11:12:45 am »

Aqizzar, I reccomend, to get away from zombies early on...

Carry as little as possible. Avoid backpacks at first, they slow you down quite a bit, and travel light until you get someplace safe.

Get some rocks - even as a non-combat character, ammo is everywhere for throwing them and hurting a zombie slows it down a bit. They also make halfway decent melee weapons.

Find a chokepoint and a better melee weapon, preferably a house with a room that has a single window and door and a nice blunt weapon. You can get 2x4s from knocking down doors, too! Mark this house on your map with a convenient note, and set up a knew one every other block or so. Lead the zombies through the window, and then wail on them as they climb through. Flee through the door if things get to hot. Since you climbed in through the window, that's where your scent trail will go, so the zombies will highly prioritize heading in the same way. When they are all dead, butcher their corpses for practice and to avoid necromantic death next time you need to retreat back. ^_^

That sort of strategy should see you through the first couple days, and hopefully by then you'll have gained some more options.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 01, 2011, 11:14:30 am »

Something wierd just happened. Also, Windows SDL 1.3.2

So, this NPC basically first shouted at me at afar to wait up. After I found her, she wanted to rob me, and I complied by dropping my knife.
Once she got to me and started taking my stuff, I took back my knife and attacked her.
Above occured afterwards. Srsly, what?

(Also, what's with the gazillion DEBUG messages with the NPCs?)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 01, 2011, 11:27:59 am »

Thats what happens when the NPCs go into a crazy loop. Better than crashing your game, right!?

NPCs are still kind of buggy ;)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 777