Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1297227 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6675 on: October 08, 2011, 02:22:23 pm »

While silencers do quite guns down, they're mostly meant to just differentiate the sound from that of an actually fired gun. That way they can be fired in public and nobody knows that the alley is a war zone :P Gun shots are one of the most recognizable sounds in the world this day and age due to the high amount of guns in media and entertainment, yet few people have actually heard what a silenced gun sounds like when fired.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:24:48 pm by jc6036 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: October 08, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »

While silencers do quite guns down, they're mostly meant to just differentiate the sound from that of an actually fired gun. That way they can be fired in public and nobody knows that the alley is a war zone :P Gun shots are one of the most recognizable sounds in the world this day and age due to the high amount of guns in media and entertainment, yet few people have actually heard what a silenced gun sounds like when fired.

But hasn't one of the biggest issues with firearms in entertainment media been that they've been portrayed as being much louder than they actually are? One would assume that this is why there are so many quotes and reports from people who normally aren't around guns (particularly handguns) saying that they didn't know what it was, that is sounded like fireworks. I'd agree that people who live/work in areas where gunfire is fairly common would be able to recognize weapons by their reports, but in those environments changing the sound of the gunfire wouldn't really be a priority. I guess this is why the whole linguistics issue has sprung up about it being factually incorrect to call them 'silencers', rather than 'suppressors'.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: October 08, 2011, 03:39:40 pm »

Many Guns are portrayed more loudly in media as well. Silencers rarely change the volume level of a gun very much, just change the sound. As for that scoped rifle, it may have been pretty high powered. I'm pretty sure that anyone watching you fire it would have heard a much different sound than what you, the firer, hears. Also, this game is very cinematic, so I think that literal silencers are good for it.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: October 08, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »

Perhaps differentiate from basic silencers and military-grade ones? The military silencer designed for the MP5 is so effective, the sound of the gun's mechanical operation is louder than the actual gunshot. It's a very popular weapon with special forces.

There are also modifications to make guns that would normally shoot supersonic rounds fire at subsonic speeds, so the silencer really is silent. The RSS Vintorez is an example, firing an assault rifle bullet, but slowing it to subsonic so it's nearly silent.
Nothing important here, move along.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: October 08, 2011, 04:02:45 pm »

^completly agree. Really high quality silencers actually do have a pretty good effect on volume level. But your garden variety (relativitaly) cheap silencers just change sound.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: October 08, 2011, 05:14:55 pm »

Yeah, the silencers would probably be more accurately called suppressors, but I figured "silencer" would be more instantly recognizable as a gun modification.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: October 08, 2011, 05:48:55 pm »

But but Whales.  I've heard "surpressor" and "silencer" before, and know that they mean the same thing - a thing you stick on the end of your gun to make it less loud.  In contrast, I am not familiar with the myriad of different ammo types and gun designations in game.  ".22 LR?  I guess I could stick that in my pistol... wait, no I can't.  Oh, a Remington!  I can finally use all these shotgun shells I- wait, this is a rifle."

...I would be cool with seeing "surpressors" buildable, and having a more effective "silencer" findable-only.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: October 08, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »

If you've ever been on a firing range, then you should know the difference between at least a few forms of ammunition.

If you don't, the guns tell you what form of ammo they take, and the ammo tells you what type it is. Be happy he didn't include even more obscure forms of ammo than he already did. Or multiple gauges of shotgun.
Nothing important here, move along.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: October 08, 2011, 06:08:53 pm »

If you've ever been on a firing range, then you should know the difference between at least a few forms of ammunition.

If you don't, the guns tell you what form of ammo they take, and the ammo tells you what type it is. Be happy he didn't include even more obscure forms of ammo than he already did. Or multiple gauges of shotgun.
And it appears in bright green if you can use it in one of your weapons.
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: October 08, 2011, 06:14:13 pm »

I take clarity where I can get it.  I could make ammo vastly more simple, but I like having several calibers I think there's a good balance there.  The name of the silencer is an easy change that doesn't impact gameplay, but hopefully makes things a bit more obvious.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: October 08, 2011, 06:20:45 pm »

A couple of quick notes, from a topic I am somewhat knowledgeable in and have extensive personal experience. A suppressor with normal ammunition will reduce the sound by about 20db and might make it difficult for anyone in the area to figure out exactly where the shot came from. With subsonic ammo you can expect about another 20db reduction and this time, the actual action of the firing mechanism will actually be louder than the shot to anyone near the firing location. People away from the shooter usually react to the sound but are not immediately convinced it was a shot. It often sounds like a car backfiring, or a wood pallet being dropped on something hard, etc.

Benefit of a suppressor:
Mask shooter location
create doubt that a shot had or had not been fired
wonderful reduction in recoil, giving very nice, reliable accuracy
suppresses flash and environmental giveaways(shooting creates a flash at the barrel and/or a puff of dust from the ground and escaping expansion gasses from the barrel)
adds some reliability to automatic round feeding in many guns due to reliable back pressure.

In real life a cheap and mildly effective suppressor can be made with aluminum chips and two pipes of different diameters. A professional grade one can be made with 2 pipes, and a variety of washers and baffles arranged for proper series of expansion chambers which would delay and redirect the expansion of gasses away from the barrel. In cataclysm unless the character was skilled in engineering and machining he would only be able to create a somewhat mildly effective silencer. I LIKE THE VERSION WHALES IS USING A suppressed gunshot will still draw attention to the area, just not you directly necessarily.

Also, the best rounds for suppressed firing are the .22 as noted previously and the .40sw. These rounds are great due to lower velocity even before using subsonic rounds. A silenced .40sw carbine is an excellent urban weapon.

Again, I like the system Whales is using. He's simplifying it to keep it fun.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: October 08, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »

I'd still like to know what I'm supposed to do about Hrecks.  I haven't lived through two days in the new version yet before being slaughtered by a pack of them, the Hunters especially.  They're immune to bullets, and way faster and better fighters than a PC can be by day 2.  And don't just say "well don't attract their attention", because that's damn well not a solution.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6687 on: October 08, 2011, 06:54:43 pm »

Those monsters are so rare, the only times I've seen them is when cheating.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: October 08, 2011, 06:58:15 pm »

Do you have to activate the Resonance Casade to get those Hrecks?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6689 on: October 08, 2011, 07:15:26 pm »

That's one way. You can also find them around the portal map extras, which are also super rare.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 777