Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294444 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6330 on: September 21, 2011, 07:06:58 pm »

Hurry! FIRE UP THE SUGGESTION MINI-GUN!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:29 pm »

It's cool that it's turning into a minecraft based roguelike but what's the point on building an entire house on the city where you find houses everywhere? (Of course, the MAIN survival idea is reinforcing the building you find, but i'm asking about building houses from scrap) and Does finishing a building makes it appear in the WorldMap?

People wanting to live out of town for example. And allowing people to build always allows for fun sightings (you rock, Whales!)
Anyway saying it's turning Minecraft is a bit harsh...considering we are in Bay12 forums...
Don't get me wrong, I am a big MC fan, but allowing to build over the world is nothing Minecraft invented you know.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: September 21, 2011, 07:36:14 pm »

The ability to make basic and slightly advanced items out of stuff you find in the wild would be awesome. I would like to play a game where I bugger off the instant I spawn and start building a log cabin instead of wandering around for a bit then getting eaten due to the insane amount of zombies that I seem to hit everywhere I go.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: September 21, 2011, 10:01:08 pm »

It's cool that it's turning into a minecraft based roguelike but what's the point on building an entire house on the city where you find houses everywhere? (Of course, the MAIN survival idea is reinforcing the building you find, but i'm asking about building houses from scrap) and Does finishing a building makes it appear in the WorldMap?

People wanting to live out of town for example. And allowing people to build always allows for fun sightings (you rock, Whales!)
Anyway saying it's turning Minecraft is a bit harsh...considering we are in Bay12 forums...
Don't get me wrong, I am a big MC fan, but allowing to build over the world is nothing Minecraft invented you know.

There's also the fact that buildings can get destroyed by various methods. Prior to the construction update, it always bugged me that if a queen triffid wrecked my safehouse, I wouldn't be able to put new walls back up, for example.

Being able to modify the existing city structure is neat, too. Making above-ground airtight (for smell purposes) tunnels between important places in town would be fun, for example, as would reinforcing existing structures.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: September 21, 2011, 10:22:04 pm »

The current construction costs in vanilla Cataclysm make city spanning halls nigh impossible, but plywood/flimsy walls would be perfect for something like that.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: September 21, 2011, 10:26:49 pm »

Quick newbie question:

How do you put on clothing that has more volume than you can carry?  My starting random character can hold 4 total volume of items...but a cargo pants has 6 volume!  I can't even put on pants even if I'm standing on top of the item.  There has to be something simple I'm missing here, and I've gone over the ingame help already.

Nevermind, it goes into the empty weapon slot regardless of volume.  Makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:28:48 pm by enigma74 »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: September 21, 2011, 10:49:30 pm »

The current construction costs in vanilla Cataclysm make city spanning halls nigh impossible, but plywood/flimsy walls would be perfect for something like that.

I'm thinking somewhat long-term, yeah. For instance, we could also eventually have masonry, although bricks and mortar would probably be difficult to work with (but probably pretty secure too).

Also, you can take advantage of existing structures for cross-town paths. To get from point A to point B, you don't need a tunnel the whole length, because you can use houses and buildings along the way, securing those as well, or at least taking advantage of the existing wall structure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: September 22, 2011, 12:18:11 am »

Okay, another newbie question: Do I need a hot plate to actually cook raw meat and veggies?  I have a frying pan.  Assuming I can start a fire somehow (with my lighter?) will the fire do just fine?

Another question: What does XP actually do?  Does XP increase the rate at which I learn skills or something? Nevermind searched the thread.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:37:46 am by enigma74 »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: September 22, 2011, 12:41:30 am »

You need a hotplate. The fire would probably completely nuke your stuff.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: September 22, 2011, 02:48:30 am »

Plus, enough people here clamored for construction, and I trust you guys :)

Well we are fortress builders, kinda expect construction in games.

That said I actually think holing up makes the game less fun. It was already very easy to build safe houses where you can't be touched (especially in basement having houses) and in fact other than the one time lightning managed to set fire to my house so I woke up in a burning, smoky inferno having half my goodies melted and needing to run, I've found the whole moving around the world without building to be much more enjoyable.

I'm not saying that addition of construction is at all a negative thing, and I've love to have more because it's always nice to have wilderness forts to play with, but just that it's more fun to generally not bother with it.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: September 22, 2011, 03:49:38 am »

Plus, enough people here clamored for construction, and I trust you guys :)

Well we are fortress builders, kinda expect construction in games.

That said I actually think holing up makes the game less fun. It was already very easy to build safe houses where you can't be touched (especially in basement having houses) and in fact other than the one time lightning managed to set fire to my house so I woke up in a burning, smoky inferno having half my goodies melted and needing to run, I've found the whole moving around the world without building to be much more enjoyable.

I'm not saying that addition of construction is at all a negative thing, and I've love to have more because it's always nice to have wilderness forts to play with, but just that it's more fun to generally not bother with it.

The fun comes when you have to travel out for more food. Eventually you'll run out.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: September 22, 2011, 04:05:38 am »

Since the construction update has started, I suppose a few questions are in order, as well as some suggestions.

What are the walls currently made out of? When smashed with a jackhammer, you get 2x4's and rock. Does that mean stone, brick, sheetrock, or plaster and lathe?

Are there any plans for differences between interior and exterior walls? A typical interior wall could be dismantled with a hammer, a crowbar, and some wirecutters to yield maybe 3-5 2x4's, depending on how much a square represents. It would be smashable, but sturdier then a door. Exterior walls would be harder, perhaps impossible to smash if they are cinderblock or brick, though building such would be a pain.

Perhaps you should take a page out of Space Station 13. Pretty much the entire station can be torn down and rebuilt given the right tools and materials. I'm not saying it should be easy, but perhaps for dismantling walls it could take between x through x+y minutes, with x being a minimum and y getting lower based on skill in carpentry, for a couple of steps, such as "Hammer through sheetrock", "cut wiring", "Crowbar 2x4".
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: September 22, 2011, 06:38:58 am »

Well... I don't see the player being able to do anything very significant with no goods or tools whatsoever.  I mean, I guess making twine might be a possibility, if I added in vines or something to the forests.  But I don't see collection of a few items from the city as a major obstacle to wilderness living; the idea is to require the player to enter dangerous territory, at elast once in a while!

Well I understand what you're getting at; you'd think that the wilderness is safer than cities, but when it comes right down to it, wilderness mobs greatly overpower zombies BY LEAGUES.

Triffids have natural armor and are impossible to headshot. Fungaloids are similar but multiply and are almost impossible to melee unscathed due to their spore attack. Wolves move as fast (if not faster) than fast zombies, get multiple attacks per turn, and also come in packs. Wilderness mobs drop nothing useful that can't be found elsewhere (fur is only useful for fur clothing, which has no effect since temperature was disabled). Compare to cities where even the weakest zombie has a chance of dropping bullets.

Sure we have the ability to build; provided you aren't driven away by wilderness mobs, melted by acid rain, and actually have the nails to make the walls away from the city, but then what? Queen triffids will tear down your walls by walking into them, and fungaloids can spawn infinitely while you're sleeping inside, forcing you to choose between starvation and being ripped apart. Not to mention you'll still need food and water (Which is limited to rivers and the randomly spawned flood event) that'll force you to leave your (relatively) safehouse.

To top it off, there is NOTHING worthwhile in the wilderness. Bee/Wasp stings are now nerfed, royal jelly is the only cure for spores - which ONLY come from fungaloids which don't appear in cities - entering a slime pit without guns is suicidal with the dodge nerf (Not to mention they offer almost nothing worthwhile), Radio towers are useless, nukes are FUN but otherwise useless, by the time you're stong enough to face ants nearly all their food will have spoiled, and the list goes on. When faced by mobs in the wilderness you have two viable options for ranged weaponry, throwing (Which will be nerfed) and crossbows (Which require a rubber hose to make unless you take one from a trap field event). You also have NO way to heal yourself since bandages require superglue, which needs a hotplate even if you're fortunate enough to find ant eggs. God forbid when it's night and you can't see at all.

So the wilderness is nearly impossible to traverse, gives nothing worthwhile, and takes up 95% of the map.

I'm sure you have plans for the wilderness, but this is how it is now.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:40:49 am by Blaze »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: September 22, 2011, 06:50:43 am »

The wilderness gives a few things worthwhile. A path to other cities, a challenge and a big, BIG spoiler.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: September 22, 2011, 07:00:27 am »

I consider roads as part of the cities, highways(?) connect cities together; and seeing as a "city" tends to take up several map screens there isn't really much of a point of long-distance travel.

As for challenge, shouldn't the challenge be in surviving instead of going out and looking for trouble? If I wanted a real challenge I could always try a "No-Melee" run or some other hare-brained self-limit.

Yes there is THAT, but THAT can always be found by traveling along the roads.

There are also THOSE, but THOSE aren't complete and are just free stuff for the taking.
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 777