Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294231 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6225 on: September 18, 2011, 10:32:29 pm »

FIRST POST! :D :D :D :D
This is so awesome. Thanks for doing all this for free!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: September 18, 2011, 10:39:22 pm »

FIRST POST! :D :D :D :D
This is so awesome. Thanks for doing all this for free!

It's my pleasure!  Of course, donations CAN make it a little more worth-while... Paypal button at whalesdev.com  :P
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: September 18, 2011, 10:47:04 pm »

Well, It's a good thing I wasn't planning on going to college today anyway :P
*Hugs*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: September 18, 2011, 11:29:04 pm »

The construction update is out, and aposos is working on a Windows port.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: September 18, 2011, 11:47:35 pm »

First, woot.
Second, waiting on that windows port that someone will inevitably do.
Next, I'll be focusing on tweaks and feature requests, along with bug reports and the like, that I haven't been able to address due to working on the big features listed here.

Redo every weight and volume value to be based on the smallest object in the game, and to have item stacks calculate weight/volume appropriately based on the number of objects in that stack... If they are not already doing that. In pre-construction, you could actually have "Bandages (1)" and "Bandages (2)" but their weight/volume would add up to 2/2 even if both stacks were originally "Bandages (3)", or even if you reduced the (2) stack by 1. (the weight/volume should be 1/1 or less)

Following that premise of making inventory make sense, maybe also redo/fix the values and math behind wearing multiple clothing layers. Maybe just increase the granularity; it's really strange: I can wear a baseball cap and then put on a baseball helmet, and get 4 head encumberment... But then if i try it reversed by wearing a helmet first and then put on the cap, i get nothing.

Oh, and a volume indicator. Yourself and your environment. Maybe implement hearing protection so you don't go deaf from all those grenades detonating just a few tiles away, and shooting bursts from high-powered automatics.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:50 am »

First, woot.

Read my post, or the linked thread? Aposos is already working on it.

Redo every weight and volume value to be based on the smallest object in the game, and to have item stacks calculate weight/volume appropriately based on the number of objects in that stack... If they are not already doing that. In pre-construction, you could actually have "Bandages (1)" and "Bandages (2)" but their weight/volume would add up to 2/2 even if both stacks were originally "Bandages (3)", or even if you reduced the (2) stack by 1. (the weight/volume should be 1/1 or less)

I concur with this. Increasing the granularity of volume/weight shouldn't be problematic, and refactoring it such that everything has positive weight/volume and stacks are calculated properly (if they aren't already) is a good idea.

Following that premise of making inventory make sense, maybe also redo/fix the values and math behind wearing multiple clothing layers. Maybe just increase the granularity; it's really strange: I can wear a baseball cap and then put on a baseball helmet, and get 4 head encumberment... But then if i try it reversed by wearing a helmet first and then put on the cap, i get nothing.

Accessories could use some work, too. There's one type of holster that's basically useless at this point, since it goes on your leg, meaning it layers with pants, meaning you might as well just wear a pair of pants instead. Also, fanny packs being infinitely layered on your person is kind of amusing but silly.

Oh, and a volume indicator. Yourself and your environment. Maybe implement hearing protection so you don't go deaf from all those grenades detonating just a few tiles away, and shooting bursts from high-powered automatics.

Speaking of indicators, I'd love an indicator for how long it's taking you to perform actions, sort of like the one you get in DC:SS with real turns turned on. This way, it would be more clear how long it's taking to perform certain actions, or even walk.

For that matter, while the topic is random suggestions, I'd like to see the detailed stat descriptions from the chargen screen in the regular character screen as well, and max HP to be properly updated if your base strength goes up/down in game (mutations, purifier).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:04:32 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:23 am »

First, woot.
Next, I'll be focusing on tweaks and feature requests, along with bug reports and the like, that I haven't been able to address due to working on the big features listed here.

Those aren't "stacked" bandages; they're bandages with a number of charges remaining.  The roll of bandages comes in a rigid dispenser/container.  Actual stacks do calculate weight/volume correctly.

The baseball hat/helmet thing is peculiar because of the way that encumbrances caps how much you can wear on your head, and nowhere else.  The order in which you put things on shouldn't matter elsewhere, and I'll make it not matter for the head.

Deafening noise isn't a high priority for me, or something desireable I think; it seems like just another chore for the player.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: September 19, 2011, 01:01:18 am »

Awesome!

Did you remember to allow to construct enclosed/ceiling areas? Since protection from acid rain is probably the primary reason for construction.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: September 19, 2011, 01:04:37 am »

Awesome!

Did you remember to allow to construct enclosed/ceiling areas? Since protection from acid rain is probably the primary reason for construction.

I sure did!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: September 19, 2011, 01:06:47 am »

I love how we can just deconstruct an entire house with a wood saw now :P
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: September 19, 2011, 01:09:18 am »

I love how we can just deconstruct an entire house with a wood saw now :P

Heh, that's a good point, I should make a sledge hammer or something required to make door frames.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: September 19, 2011, 01:12:44 am »

Yep. My first thought when I saw that you could cut door frames was "DESTROY EVERYTHING!!"

Also, I totally didn't go into construction.cpp and change all the material and tool requirements to NULL. Nope >.> <.<
*Hugs*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: September 19, 2011, 01:24:27 am »

Awesome!

I sure did!

Cover based on adjacent tree growth would be reasonable as well (and would explain why some wolves and deer are still around). I remember someone suggesting that on IRC, and myself commenting that increased protection based on how many trees are surrounding you would make sense.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: September 19, 2011, 05:02:13 am »

Finally, this is awesome. Too bad it's the beginning of my work week :(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: September 19, 2011, 05:25:52 am »

It's great to see this game getting improved. I didn't have much time to play games. Summer is over, I travelled for 10 hours in a bus and it made my ass more flat than a piece of paper, I had to catch up with friends, school, bla bla bla. But I'm back in the game now. Or more like "back playing the game".

Waiting for a Windows port. I noticed Whales merged Deon's mod. I was going to suggest that earlier. Maybe I did say something like "You guys should work together" some hundred pages earlier.

You guys are going great. Deon and Aposos are kicking ass and Whales is creating the ass that they kick.

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 777