Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1297958 times)

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #540 on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:52 pm »

[Take drugs to move faster.  Run into a house and close the door behind you; it will take a zombie a while to break the door down.
[/quote]

I have tried ( except for the drugs) but the zombie follow me, i have run out the house cut the corner, and the zombie inside the house follow me and exit from windows and is don't see me.....

traverse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 30, 2011, 12:17:18 pm »

wow wow wow

I logged 4 hours of this game last night IN BEAD! My wife was about to kill me.

My first RogueLike (unless you count DF).

My setup: Compiled it on a spare linux box at work, then setup SSHD through an obscure port on our firewall. SSH in from my mac air. Play from anywhere-anytime #win!

I tried using the 4 SSH apps for my ipad on the apps store, 2 of them there was no way to extend the window past 24 rows. Why the 25 row requirement? Isn't 24 the standard for terminal windows? 1 row does not seem like that big of a deal. I did get one term (iSSH) would work if I tilted the ipad horizontal and then back. However the onscreen keyboard was not very "cataclysm" friendly. Ultimately, the Ipad was a no-go.

I'd really like to see this using some graphical tiles, but then that breaks the play anytime anywhere of playing through SSH. Still though, would be cool to check out.

Going to check out the SDL Windows version tonight.

Anyway, thanks for the great game Whales! Keep up the awesome work!

party for your right to fight

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 30, 2011, 12:25:17 pm »

Yes, you can kill shrieker zombies before they make any noise if you are quick about it (use a gun).

Glad you're enjoying, traverse!  Yes, the ssh+remote setup is a very nice combination, it means I can play cataclysm on my Droid phone :)
I require 25 rows because the player can see 12 tiles in any direction.  12 tiles north + 12 tiles south + the row the player is on = 25 rows.  Sorry for this issue!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:15 pm »

I actually had a bit of trouble getting it compiled at first too, well more specifically getting it out of the repository. Stupid repo requiring a git:// in front instead of the normal https://

For linux users:
You'll need four things to compile on linux, and your distro probably comes with them
Those are git and g++
If you DON'T have those, you can type
sudo apt-get install g++ (then enter your admin password)
sudo apt-get install git
sudo apt-get install libncurses5
sudo apt-get install libncursesw5
But you honestly probably will not have to.

Now, for the game itself... go to the directory you want it in and go:
git clone git://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm

then:
make ("make clean" if updating to a new version)

and you should be good to go:
./cataclysm

to play. You may need to resize your screen to something larger, since the default on most systems is too small.
You shouldn't need to sudo at any point for the actual game installation.

Final note
I notice all you people complaining about errors, not one of your are posting your backtraces or otherwise helping! How is he supposed to figure out what's causing it? Especially you windows users, since he can't test it on your OS. Not that I have any idea of how to get it to run on windows or find backtraces or anything, but I'm sure there's a way.

Linux uses, remember to run it with gdb ("gdb ./cataclysm"->"r", "bt" if it crashes or "r" to reload) if you're experiencing crash problems, since that will allow him to figure them out much quicker.

traverse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 30, 2011, 12:57:13 pm »

Yes, the ssh+remote setup is a very nice combination, it means I can play cataclysm on my Droid phone :)

Which SSH client do you use on your Droid?
party for your right to fight

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 30, 2011, 01:07:25 pm »

I use ConnectBot.

UPDATE:  Banks are now in the game.  They're not particularly exciting, especially as the computer system hasn't been implemented yet, so there's no practical way of entering the vault.  You must "make clean" before compiling, as this update introduces a new item or two.
EDIT: Oh, and delete your save files ;)

Now that I mention it, the fact that cataclysm is being very rapidly developed means that distributing a compiled version is not very practical.  Letting users compile it themselves means that new changes can be folded in easily, with little effort on my part or the player's.  Just "git pull; make clean; make"!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:10:03 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 30, 2011, 01:22:40 pm »

EDIT: a experimental sdl version of Cataclysm.

http://www.mediafire.com/?11omttc94k54c2n

Seems way more stable by the way.
Ooooohhh, let me try it. I'll start with the usual @ screen crash.

The new font is a little... smooth, for hard-core ASCII veterans. :P But it doesn't matter. Another minor problem is that the Cataclysm window is named "PDCurses".

Wow, the @ screen DOES NOT CRASH. Yay. Though you did remove the V quicksave which was slightly worrying. Hopefully the game doesn't crash too often.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 30, 2011, 01:27:06 pm »

Wow, fire and smoke inhalation is brutal. There I was running through a narrow corridor in a police station looking for a gun to blast away the horde of zombies that busted in behind me. No such luck. I do have a molotov and a lighter, though. I was just far enough away from the nearest zombie to be just outside the initial blast radius. The fire quickly spread to entomb me in one of the small storage rooms of the station.

What do you mean, "Cataclysm doesn't include many YASDs"?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 30, 2011, 01:28:39 pm »

Whales, I just want to say you are doing an amazing job. Your development speed is blistering, your game is great, and screw those complaining about a lack of cross-OS versions when you are doling out like an update a day.

I love your game, and can't wait to see what it turns into!

Also...
I still have no idea what a YASD is.
Edit: It's "Yet another stupid death", but I thought that was for situations where the game put the player into a situation where the players decision making skill had no impact on the terrible outcome.

The police station situation above seems like the result of poor player action, but not any particular brutality on the part of the game...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 30, 2011, 01:34:43 pm »

Also...
I still have no idea what a YASD is.
Edit: It's "Yet another stupid death", but I thought that was for situations where the game put the player into a situation where the players decision making skill had no impact on the terrible outcome.

The police station situation above seems like the result of poor player action, but not any particular brutality on the part of the game...

Someone mentioned drinking bleach as a YASD. It's more like when the player does something avoidable (and sometimes stupid) that leads to their death. Throwing molotovs between yourself and the exit of a building qualifies, I think.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 30, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »

Wow, the @ screen DOES NOT CRASH. Yay. Though you did remove the V quicksave which was slightly worrying. Hopefully the game doesn't crash too often.
And the @ screen just crashed, of course. Just when I'd gotten a backpack.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 30, 2011, 01:39:55 pm »

wow wow wow

I logged 4 hours of this game last night IN BED! My wife was about to kill me.

Haha, my wife is about to kill me for it too! It's like that time when I've played ADOM the night after our wedding :P.

Sooo.... I've played this game half of THIS night, just before my dissertation defence, and I've got an EXCELLENT mark for my diploma!

So dudes, if you want to graduate from the university, play the Cataclysm in the night!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 30, 2011, 01:52:08 pm »

Yes, you can kill shrieker zombies before they make any noise if you are quick about it (use a gun).

Glad you're enjoying, traverse!  Yes, the ssh+remote setup is a very nice combination, it means I can play cataclysm on my Droid phone :)
I require 25 rows because the player can see 12 tiles in any direction.  12 tiles north + 12 tiles south + the row the player is on = 25 rows.  Sorry for this issue!

Added a cron script to check for updates every hour

the tarballs end up here http://whoopshop.com/cataclysm/

(LINUX ONLY bins)
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 30, 2011, 01:58:17 pm »

Bank generation seems to be a little wonky. I've run into two so far with a room like this.

Some rooms in the communal housing area in the compounds are similar.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:15:50 pm by Mephisto »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 30, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »

New version of cataclysm windows

No banks included ;P
But fixes hp monitor and hopefully the status screen crash.
and readds quicksave

https://github.com/downloads/headswe/Cataclysm/Cataclysm_win_SDL_1.3.zip
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 777