Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1297814 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2011, 07:12:53 pm »

I just thought of something, why not add duct tape to the game so you can tape up windows to smash them silently? And it's duct tape, it could have so many other possibilities!

Ignore me if duct tape and the ability to use it on windows is in the game already.

Yeah, duct tape needs to be in there.  It's the classic MacGuyver tool!

My character feels sorry for killing their mother. Is this part of the hallucinations?

Stay away from her and ignore her, she will eventually disappear without any penalties (note: this advice is not meant to be applied to real life)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2011, 07:45:11 pm »

Do the worlds generate differently each time or does it do it once and after that all of your characters are slapped in a random area within in it? I keep finding myself spawning in the same neighborhood, with stuff littered/looted from my old, dead characters.

EDIT: This is locally through Virtual Box by the way.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2011, 07:57:51 pm »

Do the worlds generate differently each time or does it do it once and after that all of your characters are slapped in a random area within in it? I keep finding myself spawning in the same neighborhood, with stuff littered/looted from my old, dead characters.

EDIT: This is locally through Virtual Box by the way.

Each time you start, about a square mile of the world is generated.  All new characters are placed inside this area.  In the future, I'm planning to make new characters get generated outside of this beginning area, so that resources are more available to new characters.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2011, 08:04:16 pm »

I see the wood spear got nerfed pretty badly. Kinda stinks as a starting weapon now.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 28, 2011, 08:06:04 pm »

Certain preset classes should get something to start with. For ex., a student gets a backpack

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 28, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »

In fact, if I didn't know better weapon damage seems to be much lower in general? I'm having a much harder time killing stuff now than I was before. Kinda liked it the way it was.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 28, 2011, 08:17:22 pm »

I see the wood spear got nerfed pretty badly. Kinda stinks as a starting weapon now.

Yes, spears and stabbing weapons are their own thing now.  Since they just pierce zombies, the damage is not that great, unless you get a critical, in which case it's pretty much a one-hit kill.  It's also quite possible for a spear to be pulled from your hand after stabbing it into a zombie; if this occurs, that zombie will be slowed greatly, but you won't get your spear back until you kill them.

And yes, melee in general has been nerfed.  It's slower, especially with torso encumberance, and cutting weapons have a good chance of being lodged in your enemy.  This was a completely necessary change--before, it was too easy to grab a machete and just go Rambo, plowing through zombies.  This is not a Rambo game; fleeing should be your tactic a good percentage of the time.

Certain preset classes should get something to start with. For ex., a student gets a backpack

I am planning to scrap the Skills tab of character creation, and replace it with a Class tab, which will determine a few starting skills and equipment.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 28, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »

Yes, spears and stabbing weapons are their own thing now.  Since they just pierce zombies, the damage is not that great, unless you get a critical, in which case it's pretty much a one-hit kill.  It's also quite possible for a spear to be pulled from your hand after stabbing it into a zombie; if this occurs, that zombie will be slowed greatly, but you won't get your spear back until you kill them.

And yes, melee in general has been nerfed.  It's slower, especially with torso encumberance, and cutting weapons have a good chance of being lodged in your enemy.  This was a completely necessary change--before, it was too easy to grab a machete and just go Rambo, plowing through zombies.  This is not a Rambo game; fleeing should be your tactic a good percentage of the time.

I am planning to scrap the Skills tab of character creation, and replace it with a Class tab, which will determine a few starting skills and equipment.

But fleeing isn't easy. Zombies don't move a great deal slower than your character, and a lot of stuff moves as fast as you do, and sometimes faster. Will there be an actual run command that increases speed, or will monsters be slowed in general to compensate for melee being less useful?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 28, 2011, 08:40:41 pm »

Does meleeing zombies with a spear create any noise at all ingame?

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 28, 2011, 08:54:50 pm »

Either I was really unlucky or some trivially essential tools are too rare. Specifically the screwdriver, wrench and hacksaw. I fully looted a small town complete with a hardware store and there were none of the above.

Ability to make makeshift tools may be great along the [planned] ability to use nearby fire as a hotplate with penalties. (By the way, where could I go looking for a hotplate? Secret military base or something?). Most knives are passable screwdrivers themselves.

Also can you actually die directly from thirst/hunger as opposed to accumulating huge (>100% :) ) penalties to speed?

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:33 pm »

Each time you start, about a square mile of the world is generated.  All new characters are placed inside this area.  In the future, I'm planning to make new characters get generated outside of this beginning area, so that resources are more available to new characters.
I see. Is there a way I can delete that world save to generate a new square mile of the world? I've gone in and the likely place for it being the Save folder seems to be locked and I can't delete it or anything in it, if not I'll make due and explore outward.

But fleeing isn't easy. Zombies don't move a great deal slower than your character, and a lot of stuff moves as fast as you do, and sometimes faster. Will there be an actual run command that increases speed, or will monsters be slowed in general to compensate for melee being less useful?
It all depends honestly, make sure your paying attention to what you're wearing and on what part since even if your not over encumbered you still may receive small penalties to different things. However, I can't comment all that much since my usual character is a Fleet Footed/Inconspicuous/Light Step build.

There is one thing that even I can't escape though, Wolves. It's the only thing that ever kills me, so it just goes to show that no matter how sneaky or quick you are there's always something sneakier and faster.

Either I was really unlucky or some trivially essential tools are too rare. Specifically the screwdriver, wrench and hacksaw. I fully looted a small town complete with a hardware store and there were none of the above.

Ability to make makeshift tools may be great along the [planned] ability to use nearby fire as a hotplate with penalties. (By the way, where could I go looking for a hotplate? Secret military base or something?). Most knives are passable screwdrivers themselves.

Also can you actually die directly from thirst/hunger as opposed to accumulating huge (>100% :) ) penalties to speed?
Just very unlucky, I've ran into a wrench once and I've found dozens of screw drivers in a single hardware store, and I've walked into a houses kitchen and found piles of hotplates.

Also, I vote butter knives be use able as a makeshift screwdriver, heh.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 28, 2011, 09:14:34 pm »

Press M
That just shows the map, YOU KNOW NOTHING.

Kicior your clearance level is not high enough for any information relating to that.

This information is clearance level ULTRAVIOLET, friend citizen!  Are you not aware that possessing information outside of your clearance is a traitorous act?
But yeah, sometimes stairs do that to you.  Sorry.  Working on it.

Put the data folder in the same folder as the game.
So I take out the contents in the data folder into the main folder? OK.

Didn't work.

No, leave them in the data folder.  But I think I might know what's wrong.  When cataclysm looks for the data/ and save/ directories, it looks for them in the CURRENT directory.  This means that if you launch the game with a symlink, launcher, from a menu item, etc., the current directory is probably your home directory, and the data/ and save/ directories aren't there!  Copy those to your home directory, or actually open a terminal and "cd downloads/cataclysm; ./cataclysm".
...Ahhh, that makes a whole lot of sense now. I'll try it, thanks

EDIT: Hmm... I can't copy directly to the /home/ directory, I guess I'll put it in /justin/.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:26:14 pm by justinlee999 »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 28, 2011, 09:23:49 pm »

What have you got planned, Whales, for the next few updates in terms of content? Any description on banks and mines?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 28, 2011, 09:32:11 pm »

Man, throwing rocks at things is the best. I've been killing tons of zombies that way, and even some wolves.

It's still dangerous, don't get me wrong, and darkness and stuff is scary as hell, but a bagful of rocks and a good throwing arm make having a fast build and no armor/barely any clothing beyond sneakers/pants/backpack and a playing mp3 player to keep my spirits up a pretty fun build.

I'm sure I'll die soon enough though, it takes several hits to take a single zombie down, and I'll only need to be cornered once to lose it all...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:34:51 pm by GlyphGryph »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #374 on: June 28, 2011, 09:33:39 pm »

Just found out about the game today, and couldn't believe the stories I read here! Played a couple of runs of it, and it's been great :D

Just one thing that keeps making the game annoying to play: whenever you spot a zombie and are running, a warning message will appear about how you are running and have spotted a monster. The only way to get rid of it is to press ! twice. Once the zombie goes off and on screen again, the same thing happens. It makes it super annoying trying to run from monsters. Any way to turn this off?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 777