Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300190 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2505 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58:15 pm »

I like the idea as well.

I can already see spider eggs in random locations...

Hmm... Why not put baddies in basements? Basements give AWESOME goodies, why not make that come with a risk?

No reward without risk ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: July 21, 2011, 11:10:06 pm »

I love it. Both the spiders-in-basements and the trapdoor spiders outside. Basement spiders could easily become one of those swarm enemies if we want to go with small ones too!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:54 pm »

Aye, I say spider queen like triffid, maybe a mobile spider spawner ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:35 pm »

The spider queen giving birth should cause vomiting!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: July 21, 2011, 11:23:55 pm »

It said I was addicted to opiate, I have no idea what that means

Opiates are a class of painkillers which includes tramadol, codeine, oxycodone, opium, and heroin.

I think it would be cool to have zombie animals. If a human can become a zombie animals can too right?

Not really; see labs for backstory.

WHAT?! SOMEONE ON BAY12 WHO ISN'T A PYRO?!
MADNESS!

Does it make it any better if I just prefer to set fire to things that can move?  :P

Also, mutiezombies = Super Mutants/ghouls?  And then I guess bionic zombies would be... well, robozombies I guess.  Or cyberzombies?

Maybe the muties could form communities, too?  Suddenly cavern/sewer village would be awesome.  And then, they could either think of themselves as "the next step in human evolution", or they could not be crazy.  That's always a fun angle right?

Well, zombies aren't sentient.  But yes, mutation-obsessed factions (and anti-mutant factions) are planned.

Since people are throwing zombie ideas around, I guess I'll throw my idea into the ring.

You know whats more fun then stepping on a landmine? Falling into a trapdoor spider's pit. A giant trapdoor spider's pit. It would hide in a mound of dirt, and when you approach go all "RAWR" and try to eat you. Maybe additionally have some sort of webbing ability that turns ground tiles into "web", which would slow you down like slime. Could also have a poisonous bite, for more funz. Maybe it could be paralysis poison instead, which slows you down even more? Seriously, you shouldn't have gone near that mound of dirt. Nothing good ever comes of approaching suspicious mounds of dirt.  :P

Duuuude yes.  I've been planning spiders for a bit, but wasn't sure of a fun and innovative way to implement them.  Trapdoor spider dens are a great idea--it could be a literal fall down a Z-level, into a nest with one (or several!) spiders to fight before you find the slope that leads out (or perhaps an adjacent subway tunnel to escape into).

Cool mutation ideas are really welcome, as I feel like I've only got a small handful.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: July 21, 2011, 11:29:23 pm »

Here are a few mutation ideas (Some of these may already be ingame, as I've never gotten a mutation myself)
Stone skin-Take less damage
Fragile bones- Limbs are easily damaged
Coldblooded- You have to stay extra warm
Ravenous- You have to have much more food than normal
Blackouts- You occasionally fall unconscious for 1-2 hours. Some drugs may help prevent this.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:59 pm »

I know the movie with the river walking zombie, whom also learned to fire a gun. It was George Romeros Land Of the Dead, correct? Im surprised no body knew.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: July 21, 2011, 11:40:36 pm »

Chitinous Armour is sort of like Stone Skin, at least it has the same effect but lowers dex by 3. Perhaps Stone Skin could reduce speed?

Ravenous is already in as like overactive metabolism or something. Perhaps Ravenous could allow you to eat tainted meat for hunger reprieve. But reduces moral.

Only mutation I can think of is photosynthetic skin, which reduces your hunger level if you stay outside, sort of like solar panels.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Sir Moops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: July 21, 2011, 11:42:19 pm »

Also, I just had an idea: What if there was a kind of zombie that had bionics? Or maybe even the kind of mutations you can get?

Heh!  I like it.  Randomly-mutated zombies or bionic-using zombies sounds like fun.  It'd require a bunch of code (can't just reuse existing player-centric mutation/bionic code), but would be worth it.  TODO'd

If you have bionic using zombies maybe you could make their bionics stored in their bodies harvest-able if you have the proper tools and a pretty high electronics/first aid/mechanics ability.

Mutation idea: You have a disturbingly long tongue with which you have a chance to ensnare enemies when you attack however people are frightened of your appearance.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:55:54 pm by Sir Moops »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: July 21, 2011, 11:49:32 pm »

Here's a suggestion for either implementation or moddiing.
Have the meat obtained from butchered corpses be specific to the corpse type, as well as having a morale penalty and possible vomiting being induced by eating human meat. This could be negated by a cannibal perk.
(I plan on doing this myself whenever I'm bothered to, so I'm just tossing out the idea.)
*Hugs*

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: July 21, 2011, 11:51:53 pm »

Mutation Idea: Stinger. Gives you a chance to poison enemies.

Bionic Idea: Chainsaw hand.  8)

EDIT: Is there already a chainsaw hand bionic available?

EDIT2: What version are we up to?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:55:06 pm by Gamerlord »

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: July 21, 2011, 11:53:41 pm »

Yeah I thought some of those were already in. I came up with some more mutations too.

Acid absorption- Slowly regain health when in acidic rain
Tongueless- Eating causes a severe morale penalty (When NPCs are put back in this can also drop social skills
Deaf- Cannot hear sound. This renders objects that create sound useless (such as MP3 players)
Insane- Extreme intelligence penalty

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:39 pm »

Chainsaw hand=A new character, Ash :3 

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: July 21, 2011, 11:58:19 pm »

Hmm, how about a trait that makes your stats rise and fall randomly? I don't know what it could be called, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: July 22, 2011, 12:00:11 am »

@siraaron: Maybe bi-polar?
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 777