Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1272900 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1725 on: July 16, 2011, 01:51:31 am »

Crafting in general is a lot more useful iffin' yeh've got an integrated toolset. It completely removes the non-component aspect of the recipes -- including stuff that would normally take a charge, like hotplates. It makes relying on some things, say, butchering for food, a lot more reliable and less inventory space intensive. Even better, it doesn't use power, at all, even for replacing stuff that'd normally take batteries. I've honestly start-scummed to get th'toolset before.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: July 16, 2011, 01:52:30 am »

There are a lot of hints in this thread but it's difficult to track everything at this point since it started over 100 pages ago. I start from now if I can. Meanwhile I gathered some informations, mainly from whales' posts, on frequently asked questions or game mechanics. The wiki could be improved.

Spoiler: FAQs (wikify this!) (click to show/hide)

Has someone survived until summer?
I'm a little surprised so many people can't live for a few days. Must be my ego. Anyway, I'll type up a guide. This guide is assuming you have a few games under your belt and you understand basic game play. Probably moderately spoily.

Spoiler: Guide (click to show/hide)

Wow that took a long time. I hope its useful.

Wow.  Major kudos and thanks to both of you.  I couldn't have written these better myself; and I'm really happy to see that players have caught on some gameplay strategies that I consider important!
I'm also thankful for any tips on min/maxing, as it's something I obviously want to avoid.  I will be making Schizo worse in the near future, and reducing the points you get from Asthma and HP Ignorant.

I'm also very interested in ideas for mutations and bionics.  As some of you noted, there are unimplemented bionics; I'm interested into turning it into more of a "spellcasting" mechanic, and one that requires a degree of specialization (a skill or two will probably be required for some of them).  Mutation I am considering turning into a "tree" with several categories of mutation, such as fish-like, lizard-like, pollution-oriented, etc.

Crafting will receive an overhaul, and will allow for partially-completed crafts, using any resources found up to a few tiles away, using fire instead of hotplates, etc.

I am considering setting up a rudimentary forum for cataclysm, since the interest seems to be there.  If anyone can suggestion a free forum hosting option, please let me know via email.

P.s. yes the paper wasps suck, but they have a strong chance of holding several "rare" items.  See mapitemsdef.cpp ('mi_rare') for specifics.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: July 16, 2011, 01:58:13 am »

A minorish suggestion. Using scissors on rope should net you a decent number of 3' lengths of string.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: July 16, 2011, 02:02:13 am »

we need to be able to make fires that don't kill us or go out right away, and fires need to give off light allowing us to read at night. this should ward off wolves and the like, while attracting zombies. also, maybe a tent item would be good for traveling long distances where you'll get acid rain.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: July 16, 2011, 02:13:17 am »

If we're getting a crafting rewrite, I'll throw my wishlist into the ring. From what you've done and said, I assume you're planning most of this already, but I figured I'd give it a go:

Salvaging stuff for metal and tubes and pipes. Large broken down items you can find around (cars and stuff) that can be broken down for raw materials with a wrench and hacksaw, or even destroying your own guns to get pieces of scrap metal. You should be able to use hatchets on trees to knock them down quicker, and screwdrivers and wood saws and hammers to take apart furniture for nails and wood. Rope should become a lot of string. String should reload sewing kits. Bigger strings should become smaller strings.

Part and parcel of the above - Variable return based on item used for destroying and building stuff - scissors should give the most rags, but it should still be possible to cut something up with a knife or even with your bare hands if you need a quick rag to make a bandage with. Maybe a time bonus too, making things take really long to salvage or build if you've got crappy equipment for the job.

And obviously, more recipes. ^_^

Construction of doorway and gate objects that can be set, or installed with hammer/nails.

Screws- like nails, take a little longer but better chance of retrieval when the object was destroyed if built with screws. That might be impossible to track with this system though, so maybe just make them interchangeable for most things (but required in place of nails for mechanical stuff)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: July 16, 2011, 02:15:59 am »

also: walls, and bikes. or some other form of fast transport like maybe a horse.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: July 16, 2011, 02:27:19 am »

also: walls, and bikes. or some other form of fast transport like maybe a horse.
I like this idea, specially the horse part. Tie your horse up outside your safe house, morning comes, you mount it, and bam, zombie horse eating your stomach.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: July 16, 2011, 02:41:07 am »

I'm confused. With that progression, the horse would have to bend its neck 180 degrees backwards.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: July 16, 2011, 02:43:26 am »

I'm confused. With that progression, the horse would have to bend its neck 180 degrees backwards.
Its a zombie man! It could dislocate its neck and bite you!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: July 16, 2011, 02:46:07 am »

it says that i can mix ammonia and bleach makes toxic gas, but how do i do this?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: July 16, 2011, 02:47:08 am »

it says that i can mix ammonia and bleach makes toxic gas, but how do i do this?
You get ammonia and bleach and the other needed materials, then you hit enter.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: July 16, 2011, 03:34:19 am »

oh, it's a crafting recipe? I've been dropping onto the ground together.  :-[

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: July 16, 2011, 04:04:30 am »

Yep, it makes teargas, but you'll need a fairly high skill level to even attempt it. Molotovs are pretty much the same in terms of effectiveness; not to mention much easier to make and get ingredients for. I'd save bleach and ammonia to make purifiers, which can increase your attributes.

What I'm really hoping for in the next build is the ability to well... build. Currently, being outside a city during rain is a death sentence, acid rain being even more so. So we're generally stuck in the city and the occasional science lab we run into.

Also, anyone know how much trapping skill it'll take to disarm a blade trap? I tried it and ended up with a blade in the gut for my trouble, my trapping skill is level 6.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:09:59 am by Blaze »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: July 16, 2011, 04:26:10 am »

According to the source, the blades seem to have a 99 difficulty, which basically means impossible to disarm.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: July 16, 2011, 04:43:49 am »

Found a slime pit. I'm surprised at how easy they are to kill with a .22 though; I thought they were like FF's Flans and were nearly immune to physical damage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 777