Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1272240 times)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1695 on: July 15, 2011, 02:30:44 pm »

head, would it be possible for you to include jaydg's windows backspace fix in with the windows port?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: July 15, 2011, 02:36:20 pm »

How does one get some sleep undisturbed without a safehouse?
I've honestly never made a safehouse. The key is to keep moving, sleep regularly so you don't have to sleep for long, stay out of site of windows (make sure you can't see outside before going to sleep) and make sure you're in a room with a closed door and windows so you can hear if something breaks in.

Aninimouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: July 15, 2011, 02:38:43 pm »

So, this is officially the best game ever. Here's why.

I just created a character with 11 Str 7 dex 7 int and 8 per, Quick Deft, Heavy Sleeper, Illiterate, and two in dodge, melee, bashing weps., firearms, mechanics, and first aid.

His name, of course, is Burt Gummer, the crazy conspiracy nut from Tremors.

Here's the best part. I start him up, grab the useful stuff upstairs, and head into the basement.

What I find is two shelves packed full of weapons and ammo. So very hilariously appropriate. How did the game know!?

Haha, that's a bit weird because just the other day I made a Burt Gummer character as well, and also started out in a house with a weapon/ammo filled basement.

I think it's possible to make pits? You could probably make a huge moat outside a house and have one entryway that involves moving diagonally, and the A.I. seems to have some issues moving diagonally on its own. But the game will cheat and just spawn them inside your house.

I created a bit of a fortress using 4 buildings and wide pits, completely surrounding a group of buildings along a road and creating paths between them so I could walk to each one without worrying about zombies ripping me limb from limb. After a little while it did start spawning zombies inside my main safehouse, but then after I set up a couple of traps in the room they usually spawned in they stopped spawning inside the house entirely. I'm not sure if that was coincidence, or the traps kept them from spawning in that small area.

(But then of course it wasn't long before I accidentally burned the entire "fortress" to the ground with a molotov and had to hide in the basement of my main safehouse until the fire settled down, and hordes of zombies swarmed around the ruins and killed me as I attempted to protect my huge supply cache in the basement of my safehouse... I love this game!)
He'd killed a man before one time, with his bare hands, and he could do it again, if he put something in his bare hands like a knife or a gun or something that he could kill somebody with.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: July 15, 2011, 08:16:46 pm »

how the hell do you make deep pits? this is really stumping my safehouse construction.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1699 on: July 15, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »

I don't think you can. You can make normal pits by "a"ctivating a shovel, but that's all I know of.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: July 15, 2011, 08:30:06 pm »

You can dig a pit multiple times to make it deeper.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 15, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »

You can dig a pit multiple times to make it deeper.
Wow! Just like in real life!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 15, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »

Actually, it doesn't make it any deeper.
*Hugs*

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: July 15, 2011, 09:08:51 pm »

I remember making one once, but then the latest time I tried I dug twenty times in the same square and nothing happened.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:03 pm »

Maybe it depends on strength or something.

I'll do some science now
*Hugs*

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:49 pm »

Perhaps it's only a chance, like with prying open doors?  Except, you know, smaller.

*hasn't found a shovel yet*

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 15, 2011, 09:22:24 pm »

Under iuse.cpp there is no code to specify multiple digs.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 15, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »

I'm a little surprised so many people can't live for a few days. Must be my ego. Anyway, I'll type up a guide. This guide is assuming you have a few games under your belt and you understand basic game play. Probably moderately spoily.

Spoiler: Guide (click to show/hide)

Wow that took a long time. I hope its useful.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 15, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »

Schizophrenic is a whopping 5 points, but can't be healed by purifier, as far as I know. Nevertheless, the hallucinations are easy to spot, and generally enemies created by the hallucinations are easy to pick out from the crowd. Enemies such as ones going through walls, or giant ants appearing next to you, are not about to kill you.

Until they are, of course. My last character died to enemies I thought were just illusions and didn't run from. Damn monsters spawning like 5 feet from me.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:54 pm »

Perhaps it's only a chance, like with prying open doors?  Except, you know, smaller.

*hasn't found a shovel yet*
What's a shovel?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 777