Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1272909 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1575 on: July 13, 2011, 06:57:49 pm »

Started a new world.  Took hoarder and schizo.  Two pharmacies near my house.  None have anything but Prozac.

DAMN YOU GAAAAAME.  I'm gonna have to drop this utility vest and other stuff if I want XP, aren't I?

On a better note, though, I started with a H&K G3 and 20 .308 in my basement, and just across the street was a gun store with two more boxes of ammo, a silencer and an enhanced grip.  AND I've got hydraulic muscles, so I can the zeds in the face pretty good too.

Also, I started hallucinating on some stairs, and I think the stair tile overwrites your @ unless you're moving.  Minor annoyance, and possibly makes sense.  Also, is there a way to see my max HP when I'm healing?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:02:00 pm by Farce »

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »

do YOU know your exact max 'hp' in real life?

well it's whole different story tho  :D

I always take HP ignorant. that way you get more points, and no need to worry a lot about health.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 13, 2011, 09:40:04 pm »

I generally assume I'm at full health when I don't hurt and all the skin is back.  I ask because with multiple little injuries, I want to know which one is only damaged one point, and which is at the cusp of the next color down.

Also oh God I just vomited up a mushroom.  I haven't even seen any fungaloids, how do I heal this?

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 13, 2011, 09:43:06 pm »

Hey guys? I can't live past like one day. Advice would be appreciated.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 13, 2011, 09:46:44 pm »

I generally assume I'm at full health when I don't hurt and all the skin is back.  I ask because with multiple little injuries, I want to know which one is only damaged one point, and which is at the cusp of the next color down.

Also oh God I just vomited up a mushroom.  I haven't even seen any fungaloids, how do I heal this?

Royal jelly. well if you're a real unlucky bastard, then royal jelly won't work. but most of the time it works like a charm.
try using bandages. those heal wounds with 1 or 2 damages pretty well.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 13, 2011, 09:50:39 pm »

I have to attack a beehive?!  Oh God, I'm going to die aren't I.  My arms are already broken due to mushrooms and it's 1 in the morning.  I'm at Strength 0 and speed 19...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:52:54 pm by Farce »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 13, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »

The numbers in the box that pops up are what you WILL be healed to. If they are dark green, then its at max, otherwise, lightgreen still isn't maxed out.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 13, 2011, 10:16:10 pm »

I have to attack a beehive?!  Oh God, I'm going to die aren't I.  My arms are already broken due to mushrooms and it's 1 in the morning.  I'm at Strength 0 and speed 19...
Most likely. I have seen royal jelly appear in the lower levels of science labs, but turrets are far worse than bees/wasps.

On the subject of turrets, has anyone else tried the directional EMP bionic? Does it have a range longer than 1 square and/or pass through walls/doors? It seems useless since most robots explode on death, causing damage. Not to mention you'll just be shredded before you get in range.

Also, has anyone found anything in bank vaults? I've broken into 5 via jackhammer and they were all empty.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 13, 2011, 10:38:31 pm »

I made a drunken master character, raided the liquor store and started killing zombies in two punches.  Eventually I found a plentiful supply of coke and weed, and proceeded to do both while simultaneously drinking 4 different types of booze.  Dozens of zombies died with no problem.  Eventually the weather changed to sunny so it was easy to set zombie corpses on fire.  I proceeded to raid every house for drugs and burn them down after I was done.  I went to the gas station, poured some on the ground, lit it up and walked through the fireball, then I went to the liquor store, drank everything I could, grabbed what I could carry, and burned down the rest.  I had a backpack full of controlled substances and my guy was a bit wounded and as elated as possible.

I could have kept going except I got an asthma attack and instead of reaching for the inhaler, I reached for the marijuana a half dozen times and died.

This game is awesome, maybe I should check out the online part of it.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 13, 2011, 10:51:01 pm »

Should I take a melee weapon or a gun?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:17 pm »

Both, really. Though, bashing zombies with the butt of a rifle is fairly effective. Crossbows are lovely weapons if you can find one or a few.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 13, 2011, 11:01:57 pm »

I normally take a melee weapon. No ammo, so you can simply wield it in your hands and it doesn't affect your volume. Its also pretty much silent, -almost- unlimited uses(I remember reading about weapons breaking, hasn't happened yet to me though, and I usually last half a dozen days), and generally is more versatile than a firearm.

However, firearms are good when you just want to attract and kill a bunch of zombies while grinding skills(I mean who doesn't from time to time?), and generally work to get you out of immanent danger. Of course, the latter only works if you actually run after firing, otherwise you'll just attract more zombies. Also, firearms are a god send when you raid science labs unless you're wearing a Kevlar vest, and even then it still might be useful to carry a firearm, due to your now high torso encumberance.

Normally you should just have both a firearm and a melee weapon, but I was mostly thinking early game.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 13, 2011, 11:06:47 pm »

People last more than two days? Hell, my longest-lasting character got mutated with the herbivore flaw and my entire last day of life revolved around finding food. My best character got beaten down by three wasps after successfully installing four biotics. God damn those bloody flying bastards.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: July 13, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »

For future reference, if you really don't want to try dealing with the massive swarms of bees in th'depths of a hive, you can make royal jelly out of honeycombs and, I think, bleach. They're craftable, in any case. So you can nab some honey and book before the whole hive comes down on you.

That character's definitely going to die, though :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 13, 2011, 11:18:54 pm »

People last more than two days? Hell, my longest-lasting character got mutated with the herbivore flaw and my entire last day of life revolved around finding food. My best character got beaten down by three wasps after successfully installing four biotics. God damn those bloody flying bastards.
The trick is to find yourself a shotgun, flashlight with 300 batteries and an ant mound. Raiding their eggs should keep you from starving, while the shotgun should make the ants pose no risk while doing so.

For more long-term survival, you'll need to snag an ID card from a dead scientist.
After that, follow the roads between towns to find a lab. They make pretty much the best safehouses.

As long as you don't take too much risk then, you should be able to survive indefinately.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 777