Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1298938 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1515 on: July 12, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »

Oh God I cannot survive worth a damn.  I keep making crafters and keep getting eaten and never finding nails or anything good.  Seriously, I think the WHOLE map genned without nails anywhere or something, I couldn't find a single one, even in the hardware shops.  ...I don't think I've managed to make a grenade yet, only molotovs.

My last one was so promising, too.  Alloy torso and diamond corneas, he was so set to be a tough and shooty.  But I couldn't find any guns or ammo, ever, OR booze for firebombs, or even a proper weapon at all.  Sadface.

The most recent versions have the nail spawn cranked up. From what I see they regularly appear in hardware stores now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 12, 2011, 12:18:28 pm »

Bug: I cannot backspace on my name once typed, and the arrow keys register as certain letters in the name field. (v1.7)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 12, 2011, 12:56:05 pm »

Are you sure crafting a flamethrower works? I can craft pretty much everything but not the flamethrower (1.3.7 windows). Game crashed when tried to launch missile.
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 12, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »

Well that was the shortest game ever.

Spawn.
Take step.
Get surrounded by giant wasps that just spawned around you inside the starting house.
Die.

szopin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 12, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »

WOOOOOOT! AapoRantalainen just ported Cataclysm to N900! So now you can run from zombies while stuck in traffic on the bus or during lectures. More info here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74863

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: July 12, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »

And so, schizophrenic android Frank N Beenz has found the final resting place of one Dr. Josiah Cook (at least he assumes he was a doctor, given the lab coat and medical gloves). This safehouse is incredible. Spinning blade trap at the entrance that you can dance zombies around in to clear the entrance, and all the doors in the house strategically barricaded in a series of fallback chokepoints.

There's a literal HOARD of cool stuff in here from weapons and ammo, to all manner of books and CBMs. The kitchen is stocked with food, including a good supply of jerky and honeycomb. The only thing it lacks is a travel-ready supply of water in bottles instead of the toilet, but I think Frank will be able to manage that now that he's found a trove of things to help him survive, at least as long as he can find some meds soon. Now if only he could find some spare nails to keep these barricades fast once the meatbags start whumping...

Will he survive for an entire night!?

EDIT: No. No he will not. Fungaloid invasion force was not able to be escaped. Scent masking biomod ran out of juice while leaving the house. Solar panel biomod doesn't recharge a damn thing when it's past dusk.
Haaaaa, that was actually my old house before someone ganked my character while I was asleep. Seriously, add a password system.

Also, barricades can't be broken, hence I jackhammered a hole in the wall. Had you read the map you'd have known that I tried to wipe out all the fungaloids and got as far as fifty blocks away. They grow back FAST.

Spoiler: On Fungaloids... (click to show/hide)

Sorry I've been inactive recently--busy with work and other real-life concerns.  I wish I could develop cataclysm full-time, but right now it's just a side hobby!  I am still working on it when I have the time.  Presently I am writing a whole new Computer system; once that's finished, expect to see interesting and useful terminals in homes, banks, labs, and more.  After that (or before), I'll implement a password system for those of you who play online.  Contributing coder Endymion is working on an overhauled inventory interface, with stacking!

I'll try to keep you guys updated here, and maybe revive my blog since there seems to be some interest building.  As always, I welcome emails to fivedozenwhales at gmail.com and try to respond promptly.
Some? One post on a forum and I could get a thousand people in here if you're in the mood for attention. This game deserves it!

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:10 pm »

Urist McGuyWhoPlaysThisGame has been unhappy lately. His character got pinned in a bathroom by zombies and eaten lately.
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 12, 2011, 04:10:56 pm »

Oh, Whales, while I'm here, I need Low Barricades. They'd act like counters/ledges/railings but hinder movement a bit more. Please god. Also, the ability to build both normal barricades, and low barricades anywhere, so I can make full houses out in the middle of fields.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 12, 2011, 04:35:14 pm »

If anyone wants to play it on ssh in Linux:

1. Open your terminal
2. Type wget http://eronarn.info/multirobin_key
3. Type chmod 400 multirobin_key
4. Type ssh -i multirobin_key cataclysm@eronarn.info
5. Enjoy
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:38:37 pm by xczxc »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 12, 2011, 05:51:25 pm »

Awesome game, but there should be a toggleable Debug Mode to keep you from accidentally triggering those functions when it's off. I just somehow revealed the whole 'world' map to my current character. :-/

gilmouta

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McGuard has been shot in the knee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 12, 2011, 06:11:59 pm »

I've been playing this game for a while and I can say it's a lot of Fun :D
I do have a few questions though:
Where can I find a shovel? I've searched loads of hardware stores and I found none so far (only using the wish thingy).
How do you guys make your safehouses? I've considered digging all around it, but I don't know how I would get inside then.

Keep up the good work Whales!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 12, 2011, 07:45:37 pm »

Leave yourself a zigzagged path. Not straight, otherwise you risk a potential zombie finding said path, though their pathing isn't that good that they will actively use it. You'll want a bear trap in the door, unless barricaded, in which case scatter beartraps liberally behind the door.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 12, 2011, 08:44:28 pm »

right, how do fire spread? I've figured out how to pour petrol onto the ground with the Unload command, now I need to make an item fuse so that I don't blow myself up when I try to light it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 12, 2011, 11:08:06 pm »

Chunk a molotov at it? I haven't figured out how to set things on fire with lighters yet, though that'd hopefully work -- I haven't been suicidal enough to try setting a puddle of gas besides a gas station on fire while standing beside it. Yet. Could try shooting the puddle, I guess.

Wait for a lightning strike :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 12, 2011, 11:22:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)