Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1298457 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1185 on: July 06, 2011, 04:22:14 pm »

Honestly. If someone wanted this to have real multiplayer I think it would work as a MUD. Not so much as a growing of the main project as making it into a new branch sorta. It would likely need to be completely re-coded but that's the only way I see it working myself.

Yeah, won't happen because a) don't wanna rewrite the entire interface and b) I'm no MUD fan.  I encourage you to, though!  Just... rewrite game.cpp and one or two other things?  Not so terrible.

Basically it's a lot of overwriting data.  Hopefully collisions should never happen, since the map is big enough that the chance of two players being in the same place at the same time is miniscule.  And even if it did happen, it'd just result in some minorly nonsensical disappearance of items.
Could you make it into an MMO, or even multiplayer, with any amount of code? I'd pay to hell and back to play a zombie survival roguelike MMO. I'd imagine intermediate changes to the framework, the most major foreseeable being adding a standard unit of time for a "Turn". Have sessions end/world restart when certain conditions are met or a certain number of people have died. It already has all the standard fare of MMO games (Raiding hives, underground labs, random encounters, clearing out sewer tunnels) but more stuff would have to be kept track of, and item spawning would have to be added to some degree.

Not to mention Putty is a great way of weeding out griefers. It'd be really fun, all sorted. Just require more balance.

Forgive me if my request seems stupid. Maybe I'm just excited.

I've been thinking about the possibility for a long time now.
First off, there's adapting a roguelike to simultaneous action.  I suppose I could limit each player to a couple seconds to take their "turn," but no matter how this is done I feel like it'd be slow and obnoxious.
And then there's technical issues; how do I use inter-process communication to coordinate everything?  How do I guarantee that data files are locked, and how do I handle a player attempting to access a locked data file?  And even once I figure out good answers to these questions, I have to learn how to code it all.
I think direct player/player interaction will have to wait until 2016, when Cataclysm: The FPS is released.
hnnngh.

You could always find someone to help you code, unless you feel Cataclysm is too much your kid to bring in a second parent, as it's usually put. A few seconds isn't really required, but what you could do is give the zombies number, instead of speed. Fighting ten zombies/running from twenty zombies is a lot harder and exciting than trying to flee from a zombie that can just BARELY not-keep-pace with you. Pacing isn't really an issue past seeing what the users feel is balanced, anyway. Locking data files would require a proper login system inside the actual game client itself, and even if something were hacked, data files would only last until the end of a session which, if steamrolled, would only last for a day or two before being deleted and reset anyway.

It'd work itself out, you just have to find a way to properly approach it. And you have a fanbase - of roguelike players, mind you - certainly one of them could help you.

Man, if any bright programmers have a clear thought in their head about how this would work--and the experience to back themselves up--I'd be happy to work on it.  But as it is, it's too monumental a task, especially when I have a lot of other cataclysm things to work on.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 06, 2011, 04:30:10 pm »

-snip-

On the subject of unloading batteries, unloading a flashlight whilst it is equipped (not sure about when it is unequipped) leads to a force-close. Reloading tends to do the intended trick though.

Hmm, never experienced this.  Just tested it and didn't get a crash.  Can you get a backtrace by any chance?

If I can reproduce it, sure.

On the subject of unloading batteries, unloading a flashlight whilst it is equipped (not sure about when it is unequipped) leads to a force-close. Reloading tends to do the intended trick though.

I had this problem using the Windows version, and it was because I had forgotten to run it in administrator mode. Turned it on and was able to unload flashlights without a problem.

I'll give that a try if I can reproduce it.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 06, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »

Man, if any bright programmers have a clear thought in their head about how this would work--and the experience to back themselves up--I'd be happy to work on it.  But as it is, it's too monumental a task, especially when I have a lot of other cataclysm things to work on.
You could either find someone on the Bay 12 forums to help you, which is unlikely, but possible, or find someone who specialized in netcode/client->server->client interactions.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:49 pm »

Where would one go about finding a backpack/cargo pants? I keep running out of room in my inventory.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 06, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »

Where would one go about finding a backpack/cargo pants? I keep running out of room in my inventory.
I found a backpack at a sporting store.  You can try houses as well I guess.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 06, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »

You mean in-game? AHahaha. Good luck, broseph. They're the first items checked on people's "I need to carry things." list. Backpacks, clothing stores, sporting stores, and sometimes in homes. Look for a green [.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 06, 2011, 04:44:15 pm »

Clothing store/hardware store/sporting goods store. Really though, you simply shouldn't carry that much. Maybe 1 book, 1 or 2 GTFO items (molotov/shotgun), your best melee, and pain killers. Oh and cocaine. That is very important. That is all you really need. Any time you need to get food you can go beat down a door and raid the fridge. If you want to start building things, drop all your stuff somewhere and go collect supplies.

I find my self desperately searching for a fanny pack...

In other news, I found some mutegen (spelling?). I didn't want to drink it and couldn't find any turtles so I threw it at a rabbit. Rabbit died. I was disappoint.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 06, 2011, 04:49:40 pm »

I have no idea what you all are talking about, I find a backpack every other house, food is the real problem. Starvation isn't a problem, it's that I die often when scrounging around for food.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 06, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »

Oh, while I'm here, what the FUCK went on here?

It goes on for six straight blocks. It's 6x6, just GONE. Were you testing dirty bombs or did some jackass go nuts with a jackhammer? Well, no, it can't be that. Streets are gone too and you can't jackhammer those.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:53:24 pm by Duane »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 06, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »

Oh and cocaine.
Cocaine is too addictive. While the stimulant effects are great, you can get the same with Adderal. For a morale drug, you're much better off with marijuana.
It's much more plentiful and comes in bigger stacks I think.

In other news, I found some mutegen (spelling?). I didn't want to drink it and couldn't find any turtles so I threw it at a rabbit. Rabbit died. I was disappoint.
What else did you expect by throwing glass bottles at small woodland critters? Besides, it's not like that would force it to drink the mutagen.
And yeah, drinking mutagen is bad, as you only have around 1 in 10 chance of getting a positive mutation.

They are good to make them into purifiers later on though.

I have no idea what you all are talking about, I find a backpack every other house, food is the real problem. Starvation isn't a problem, it's that I die often when scrounging around for food.
Just butcher and cook squirrels and rabbits. If thats too little, go hunt ants. It's especially great to get into their hives and grab their eggs.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 06, 2011, 04:56:47 pm »

Wait, does the standalone version use the same map every time? I just wandered into a house that I definitely ransacked as a different character earlier today.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 06, 2011, 04:57:54 pm »

Just butcher and cook squirrels and rabbits. If thats too little, go hunt ants. It's especially great to get into their hives and grab their eggs.
Yes, rush their nests. THAT's going to cut down on his "Deaths while foraging" count.
...Eh, maybe. I mean, maybe if he were previously eating Fungalod.

Wait, does the standalone version use the same map every time? I just wandered into a house that I definitely ransacked as a different character earlier today.
Yeah, it does. Hence MAP -> NOTES for rediscovering old stuff. NOBODY ELSE USES IT DURR HURR HURR.

Hey, guys, how about this. You raid a store bone-dry, you mark it in the map with a note saying "I LOOTED THIS DRY."

I've found four guns and they've all been on CORPSES. YOUR corpses. AT LEAST DIE WITH AMMO, DAMNIT.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:00:04 pm by Duane »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 06, 2011, 05:01:37 pm »

And yeah, drinking mutagen is bad, as you only have around 1 in 10 chance of getting a positive mutation.

I am dissapoint. Just keep it until you find purifier and drink. If you get something good keep it, if not drink the purifier. The benefits outweigh the risks. Though you should cure all your purifyable traits first.

Yes, rush their nests. THAT's going to cut down on his "Deaths while foraging" count.

Honestly. Giant bees are wimps.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 06, 2011, 05:05:06 pm »

I am dissapoint. Just keep it until you find purifier and drink. If you get something good keep it, if not drink the purifier. The benefits outweigh the risks. Though you should cure all your purifyable traits first.

Is it really 1 in 10?  The first time I found some mutagen, two out of three quaffs gave me stat bonuses.  I guess I just got really lucky.

I am disappointed that there's nothing inside bank vaults, but that'll come.  Hopefully with better building maps, those rooms are funky.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 06, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »

YES! I found some soldier or something's corpse and it was totally loaded. I totally just grabbed a Mac 10 off of him and stole his backpack and vest.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 777