Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294552 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #11475 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:39 pm »

So I managed to find a cave on the edge of a large city. Got it fortified with pits and fences and I've got enough stuff to last me a really damn long time.

By the way, Karate is incredible.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11476 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:20 pm »

Question: Which download link is the definitive latest version? There's the wiki link and the forum one, not sure which one is more up to date.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: November 19, 2012, 07:40:11 pm »

The one there :
http://whalesdev.com/download.php

That download link mention this version being from september.

On the official boards, in the announcement section Whales last changelog update post was from september, so chances are that one is indeed the latest version.

But there are lot of bugs with this version.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: November 19, 2012, 08:33:24 pm »

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1389.0

Thats the link for darkling wolfs mod, thats pretty much what people are playing atm, whales is on a bit of a break.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: November 19, 2012, 09:20:53 pm »

Thanks for the link, i notice that he merged the code bug fixes someone posted on the board, excellent as it then make the mod supposedly less buggy than the september release.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: November 19, 2012, 09:33:33 pm »

...How does one get supplies without getting flocked by hordes of angry zombies?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: November 19, 2012, 09:35:03 pm »

Night time. Get some nightvision goggles or the appropriate mutations.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »

Or spawn with the Night Vision trait, which gives you a range of 2 instead of 1, turning 3x3 into 5x5.  Navigate mostly by map to get to locations, and flick a flashlight on and off to get glimpses of the area.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: November 20, 2012, 09:14:04 am »

Or don't walk in the streets so openly. Walk by house to house and stay in a building if there are less enough zombies that you can deal with. If there is a lot of zombies around, get out of the city.

Also, get a vehicle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: November 20, 2012, 09:31:40 am »

I stopped trying to kill zombies except in self defense.  Id rather let it chase me around than risk spawning a horde 2 tiles in front of me...  Im also too impatient to wait until night... so I sometimes die from zombies on day 1.  Alot.  Buyt when I do live to make most of my stops I do alright.  Mostly.  For awhile.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: November 20, 2012, 12:11:19 pm »

This. game. is.
Awesome!

I've not seen much but for now it truly seems awesome:
I just started, raided the shelter basement, and decided to help poor Sebastian recover his por..ridge digital receipe book. So i put on my newly acquired coat and backpack and ventured to the unknown. Then i killed a rabbit with a stone, stepped on a landmine(wth?!) and got mauled by a horde of zombies. That's what i call a good start.
Now let's try to survive more than five minutes
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: November 20, 2012, 01:31:08 pm »

Last two good characters I had ended up falling prey to sinkholes...

Both were doing pretty well too, with a decent chance of survival if they could avoid starvation in the long run.

Have to remember not to walk through swamps anymore.

Oddly enough, the second sinkhole I fell into had a hard hat and jackhammer at the bottom... Don't ask me what someone was doing jack hammering in the swamp.

Can't help but think he might have been working for this guy:
http://youtu.be/g3YiPC91QUk?t=22s

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: November 20, 2012, 01:38:11 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/puvouqcor54zzs2/Jessette.template

This is my current build.  Low strength lends itself to less melee, while perception lets you spot traps (like land mines) and shoot better, Dex is generally good, and that int helps with reading.  Light Eater is almost essential, as is Pack Mule.  Nearsighted is basically free points, as is Insomniac, and HP Ignorant makes the game more fun really.  No starting skills, you can learn as you go.

The big thing here is night vision and speed.  The trick is to wait for night, then navigate to buildings via the map and search them slowly.  You can almost always get through a whole night without a single fight.  As you're doing that, do reading during the day and practicing sewing as you can, it really helps to keep your good clothes intact, like trench coats and utility vests.  I usually run light builds too, a vest, skirt, sneakers, holster, etc.  No backpack or multi-coat or anything.  the trick is learning how not to hoard.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: November 20, 2012, 02:08:48 pm »

I've actually been having fun with random characters. They're rarely great, but you also have to think. The average person isn't going to be ideally suited to the zombie/fungus apocalypse. Even with random traits you tend to be more suited than a normal person should be just because the skills available are almost all applicable in some way.

Also, plowing head first into a bear trap with a motorcycle and having it chomp off your front wheel... depressing at the time, but hilarious to look back on.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: November 20, 2012, 02:13:51 pm »

Well, yes.  The "normal people" died and became zombies!  The only survivor you'll play as, is someone who's better than normal.  If you -really- want a "normal guy" setting, then make a custom character with the default values, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 777