Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294065 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #11250 on: August 27, 2012, 10:14:27 pm »

So, what's your favorite starting build?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11251 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:33 pm »

Depends on the goal of a character. A minimum of 11 INT was always required if you wanted to be able to read all the books (as that's the lowest INT you can have for a hit of Adderall to push it high enough). Mostly I tend to go for a balanced build; the current build I'm playing is actually a straight 10 across the board. Quick is pretty much required, and I've always liked Packmule; two backpacks + Packmule usually means you'll hit the item limit before you run out of volume unless you're trying to move steel frames or something. Pain Resistance as well, as it tends to give you a bit of an edge in bad situations. I tossed in Night Vision and Disease Resistance because I had a spare 2 points to spend and they both are helpful in their own ways, now that colds and the flu are real issues. If I put anything into skills, it'll be a level of dodge. My normal list of negative traits are: Near-Sighted, Heavy Sleeper, Glass Jaw, Trigger Happy, Wool Allergy, Truth Teller, and Ugly, as they're all relatively minor. Hell, I see Heavy Sleeper as a positive trait; I used to play with Insomniac and it pissed me off so much.

Speaking of my current character... Just found a bunker about fifteen map tiles outside of a city. Got a decent haul of food and water, as well as a pair of M4A1s, a SCAR-L, a SCAR-H, ~100 rounds of NATO and IC ammo for each, a fusion rifle, and a shitload of silencers and extended clips (well, once I manage to find enough milids to open everything). A short walk east is a metal wreck that had 4 CBMs. Looks like New Base Get.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11252 on: August 28, 2012, 12:18:31 am »

Is it possible to farm?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11253 on: August 28, 2012, 03:33:13 am »

Flying Dice => no "HP ignorant" ?
I feel it's the best negative trait : it forces to be aware about what happens, and you still get to know where you are hurt (you don't have 78 HP in a arm and 54 to the other, but simply green and yellow)...
I feel it's how the game should be, all the time ! :D

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11254 on: August 28, 2012, 03:51:31 am »

After dying repeatedly last weekend, I realized theres no score board.  I think that would be cool to add.  Maybe something as simple as your name, and days survived.

That would be cool, but with the amount of creatures killed as well.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11255 on: August 28, 2012, 06:29:07 am »

Well I decided to try and burn out a fungal spire since it annoys me.  I had 7 molotovs, and pretty much had the whole outer section on fire, all fungal beds burnings and the fungal walls were an inferno.  About 2 tiles from the spire itself and it starts to friggin rain... puts out all the fire so there is now a lone fungal spire standing in a bed of rubble.

Anyone else ever do something crazy like try and purge a bee-hive?
Nom nom nom

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11256 on: August 28, 2012, 10:21:50 am »

Flying Dice => no "HP ignorant" ?
I feel it's the best negative trait : it forces to be aware about what happens, and you still get to know where you are hurt (you don't have 78 HP in a arm and 54 to the other, but simply green and yellow)...
I feel it's how the game should be, all the time ! :D
It's one of the secondary ones I would choose, but I already hit 12 points from the ones I normally take.

3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11257 on: August 28, 2012, 03:49:48 pm »

Does anyone know how skill comprehension (higher int + fast learner trait) works? Does it make learning more efficient, or just faster?

Because it seems to imply it makes it more efficient, however I just got to thinking that if it only makes it drain faster then maybe that's part of the problem I have with always running out of exp (since I usually take fast learner).

Basically, let's say an action normally takes 100 exp and gives 100 skill, does fast learner make it take 100 exp and give 150 skill, or take 150 exp and give 150 skill? (or something else..)

If it's the latter, I've been wasting points and making things more frustrating for myself at the same time.

Edit: well I decided to test myself, since I don't know how to read the code to just find out.

I used the debug menu to summon an MP3 player, then just held down '5' till I had a bunch of EXP. Then I spawned a ton of human corpses and a butcher knife, waiting in place to get rid of the morale from the music (to minimize as much as possible morale gain while testing) and went to town.

Custom char with 20 intelligence and fast learner (205% skill comprehension) took 13 corpses to get to level 1 survival. After getting level 1, it reliably took 7 exp and gave a constant 4% to survival skill per corpse.

Custom 4 int char (32% skill comprehension) took 19 corpses to get to level 1 survival. After getting level 1, it took 3 - 7 exp per butcher randomly, and spit out 3% - 4% exp per butcher.

So.... I still don't know how it works exactly. My current theory is that learning skills is percent based, and higher comprehension just means you have a better chance of learning per tick (or however it's calculated). This implies that anything over 100% comprehension is wasted (except in cases where your int is lowered I guess).

Anyway, I don't think fast learner is worth it anymore, since it does not seem to make learning more efficient... just faster. But exp already drains way to fast, and often you don't want it draining, so it's wasted most of the time.

(yes I should have noted exactly how much exp it took to get from 0 - 1 butcher skill but I forgot to write it down)

Edit2: note to self, double check forum BEFORE doing boring tests, because if I'd read the post below this I'd have saved myself some time
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:26:00 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11258 on: August 28, 2012, 04:53:13 pm »

neither, it is more like roll a dice to see if you have learned something from the action, with +50% if you have fast learner.

I think it mostly helps with higher skills, ie. 10-int 10-computer guy, hacking has a 40% change of learning something, 90% with FL
( 10-int 0-computer would be 105% & 155% )

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:59:49 pm by monkey »

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11259 on: August 28, 2012, 05:22:59 pm »

Does anyone know here I can find the current release? I appear to be using an older one  (No ugly trait is present, for one)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11260 on: August 28, 2012, 05:27:44 pm »

http://whalesdev.com/

pick downloads

pick windows (or linux I guess)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11261 on: August 28, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »

Also, how do I enable debug mode again?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11262 on: August 28, 2012, 05:36:06 pm »

It's enabled by default, at least it was for me on windows. Just press capital Z

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11263 on: August 28, 2012, 05:44:27 pm »

Same for me.

3. Run Resize Enable

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #11264 on: August 28, 2012, 06:15:34 pm »

You need to uncomment the option in keymap.txt
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.