Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294061 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #11235 on: August 25, 2012, 11:19:18 pm »

By default the debug menu is not available. You have to alter a file in data folder.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: August 26, 2012, 01:29:10 am »

Woot! My first decent character has survived for several days WITHOUT cheating! And it seems that he is quite skilled at killing giant worms. It seems fitting that I named him Paul Atreides.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble in body and mind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: August 26, 2012, 07:19:55 am »

Woot! My first decent character has survived for several days WITHOUT cheating! And it seems that he is quite skilled at killing giant worms. It seems fitting that I named him Paul Atreides.

How dare you disgrace Shai-Hulud!
That which does not kill me...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: August 26, 2012, 07:41:33 pm »

So I started this back up after taking a break for a few (6?) months. I noticed EXP has been massively nerfed. Not only do I get very, very little exp compared to before, but it's capped at 800.

Is there any (relatively easy) way to change it back to the old (lots of) exp system? I think it's a completely terrible now because it just leads to (reverse) 'victory dancing' (crawl players will know what I mean) where I'm forced to game the system to make 'proper' use of my exp, because for some reason after waking up in the morning and stabbing 2 - 3 zombies I'm suddenly too stupid to learn anything for the rest of the day.

The old system might have been unbalanced and too easy (not for me I died all the time anyway) but at least it was fun, and I naturally just got better at whatever I was doing instead of having to powergame to get anywhere. The way it is now is just not fun, I have to do stupid crap like stop in the middle of town and randomly build flashlights to use up my exp so it's not 'wasted' on skills I don't want.

Another question, is there any disadvantage to murdering the starting NPC (or getting him to follow you then leaving him in the woods with the bears)? I just lost a very promising char because the NPC decided it would be a good idea to unload on the skeleton I accidentally dragged back to base, even though I was standing between them, blew me away in a single burst fire (didn't even hit the skeleton). derp.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: August 26, 2012, 08:41:45 pm »

Uh. You do realize how easy it is to build up your XP pool, right? A couple hours with liquor and an mp3 player always works for me. For that matter, just alternating between skill books and pleasure books will usually result in a surplus of XP. Just in case you somehow weren't aware, XP gain is tied to morale; the happier your character is, the greater the chance of XP being added to your pool each tick. If you run around in the rain and keep getting hit by stuff then yeah, you won't have much XP.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:28 pm »

The XP overhaul makes you have a semi-balanced existence--rest a while in a hide-out and then kill some zombies, day in, day out. Without the limit I remember just sitting in a cave, reading, sleeping and eating continuously while my xp pool kept climbing.  Effective sure, but kinda boring. The low pool makes you go out and do something dangerous, then makes you go back and recover.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:12 am »

I just started playing this game.  Played about 4 characters, none of whom made it past the first night.  I realized I was doing incredibly stupid things - mainly being very loud.  I was smashing everything, shooting off firearms.  Maybe killed like 3 zombies.  Kept having the eyebots chase me around, then robocops came and messed me up.

Any good tips for newbies?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11242 on: August 27, 2012, 10:18:25 am »

For exp, find an electronics store.  MP3 players are the best source of essentially free EXP you're gonna find.  Electronics stores will virtually always have one, and always have like 15 batteries at the least.  This will keep you happy for a significant time.  The main thing to understand about exp is that your goal is not to booze out and then totally ignore exp.  Your goal is to remain happy constantly.  Morale is now an actual game mechanic that works.

Newbie help: Keep running.  Only go out at night.  Zombies will rarely detect you in the dark, and you can navigate via the map to what you want.  If you turn a flashlight on and immediately off, you get a good snapshot of the area too, and zombies will notice the flash, but you can easily move out of range before they arrive.  To that end, Night Vision is incredibly helpful.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: August 27, 2012, 10:45:21 am »

Agreed, stop making noise.  Dont smash windows unless you are actively trying to outrun a zombie mob.  dont smash doors until you have a crowbar to do it quietly.  get (or build) a bow for silent ranged kills.

You can crank up your music and practice many skills in your safehouse.  even shooting, I dont think you actually need zombies to shoot at -- .22's and BB's are plentiful and come in large packs.

Also, if there is a particular town you want to clear out for better looting or to settle down in, you can often do so with a car, truck, or even a quad.  fill up the tank and drive back and forth until the horde is all roadkill, they will keep coming towards the engine noise.  Otherwise, try to only use vehicles as get-aways or mobile bases, driving them into town on raids only attracts the hordes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: August 27, 2012, 10:56:25 am »

I modded my game to let electric motors spawn in electronic stores.  Took a bit of effort, but I got an electric bike, and it works wonders.  Moves slowly, but you can take it almost anywhere.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:16 am »

I guess people are misunderstanding - I understand how to get exp, and I get that it's a game mechanic to make exp something to manage, and that it's there to stop you from just bunkering up for 3 days and coming out with 890345894584 exp. I don't really have a problem with that so much, even if I think the exp system is not perfect I could live with it but...

It's just that I can't choose where to spend it. For example I a bunch of tea and coffee (to purify toilet water more then anything) and it drained ~200 exp. That's just a huge waste, since I already had all the cooking skill I needed it was exp down the drain because I didn't feel like metagaming and shooting a gun in the air to summon zombies to kill BEFORE I made my morning coffee.

It's bad from a gameplay perspective because it forces the player to do things awkwardly, or in a very gamey order rather then just having fun playing the game, and it's bad from a realism standpoint because seriously? A routine task like boiling water for tea somehow makes me too stupid to pay attention and learn from stabbing zombies or practicing my electronics?

I asked for a way to bring the old system back because it seems like it would be a lot easier to just get 10x more exp then it would be to rework the whole system to let me pick where it goes, and either one would work to make the game more fun for me since the frustrating part is the tedium involved with making sure the exp goes where I want it to go.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: August 27, 2012, 11:59:21 am »

A way to simply switch XP usage on and off would be nice.  You could call it "concentrating".  Say you have to make some coffee, but don't feel like wasting XP "improving" your coffee making skills.  You could "stop concentrating" (switch off XP usage), make your coffee, "start concentrating" again (switch it back on), and then go kill some zombies to raise your combat skills.

Or the other way around, if you really felt like being the best possible post-apocalyptic coffee maker.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: August 27, 2012, 12:02:00 pm »

A way to simply switch XP usage on and off would be nice.  You could call it "concentrating".  Say you have to make some coffee, but don't feel like wasting XP "improving" your coffee making skills.  You could "stop concentrating" (switch off XP usage), make your coffee, "start concentrating" again (switch it back on), and then go kill some zombies to raise your combat skills.

Or the other way around, if you really felt like being the best possible post-apocalyptic coffee maker.

Please do this now. It's been what's needed ever since the XP system was made, I'm tired of losing 500+ exp a day to improving skills that I don't want to improve by 5%, like cooking. Just make a single button toggle for this and the entire aspect of wasting your XP is gone, and the complaints are removed.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: August 27, 2012, 12:04:50 pm »

Actually, Whales will be doing away with the current exp system.  Last I heard, it was going to turn into focus and skill growth.  High morale will allow faster skill growth, but you won't have to do anything to improve those skills.  It will occur naturally over time.  This way you can focus into computers and become better without having to mass-raid 10,000 banks in a row, and you won't end up dumping infinite exp into something like bashing.  It does mean it's possible to bunker up and just gain skills without effort, but you do have to put forth the effort of surviving, so your skill growth ends up "costing" food and water anyways.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: August 27, 2012, 01:22:53 pm »

After dying repeatedly last weekend, I realized theres no score board.  I think that would be cool to add.  Maybe something as simple as your name, and days survived.
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 777