Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294500 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10740 on: July 23, 2012, 11:32:56 am »

That....would be pretty cool.  Turrets, heavy armor, blades and spikes.  Would need some hefty engine power to move it, and it would be practically impossible to see anyplace but straight ahead, but  you could probably drive through an entire city block (as in through buildings) without a scratch and wipe the floor with a horde of hulks.

Ah looking at the thing again seems it had no spikes on the front.  My memory was off.   Looked at a quick youtube vid of it and yea, the entire thing would probably be possible, unless there is a maximum vehicle length anyway.  Wasn't it a modified semi truck with trailer?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:49:48 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: July 23, 2012, 11:53:35 am »

The trick is the slim profile.  It's significantly easier to barrel through a 3-wide wall than a 5-wide.  But at the same time, that'd give you only 1 wide walkway inside.  For a little movement room and some turrets, you'd need at least 5.  Dual-mounted 6L would probably give you enough power to push through any building though, provided you have good Hard Plating on the front of course.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: July 23, 2012, 11:59:05 am »

That's a highly inefficient, and in fact downright dangerous, pit layout. It forces you to take a circuitous route while only providing 2 layers of pits for zombies; none of which can be used to kite a zombie into if they get through, as there is only 1 clear route.
I suggest scattering them more randomly, allowing for both more pit layers and giving you the mobility to kite them into pits as required.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »

I just have a solid ring of pits around my base, I lay planks over them when I want to leave.
*Hugs*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: July 23, 2012, 01:35:04 pm »

I was unaware you could lay planks over pits to pass.  I may have to change it to take advantage.

That pit setup is pretty much the way I have always had it, ever since you could dig pits with shovels.  I never had any trouble with it before and I'm sure it has weaknesses.  Any better designs would be welcome.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: July 23, 2012, 01:38:58 pm »

It's a feature of Wolfy's mod :P
*Hugs*

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: July 23, 2012, 01:44:09 pm »

Code: [Select]
OXXXOXXXO
XOXXXXXOX
OXXXOXXXO
XOXOXOXOX
OXOXOXOXO
XOXOXOXOX
====+====
X's being pits, O's being safe, and the =+= the wall and door. Extend it out sideways if you need more killing room. Absolute minimum a zombie goes through is 3 pits, and you can dodge away from most threats on the diagonal.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: July 23, 2012, 02:09:17 pm »

That seems pretty good, someplace to go if a spitter spits there seems nice.  I'll give it a shot after a trip to the grocery store to get a couple days worth of food so I can work on it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: July 23, 2012, 03:18:41 pm »

I have a new favourite tactic against small amounts of zombies: Bear traps. The free attacks you get when they're stuck are even better than windows. Not at efficient at bottlenecking them, but it works very well when you're on the move.
Love, scriver~

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: July 23, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »

Quick question - I have an older version, how do I update? Do I have to do the whole thing I did to get it working the first time again or do I just have to download the new version and replace files or what?
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:42 pm »

Each update is a complete package, just erase your old files and use and/or compile the new ones. 99% of the time the saves are incompatible without major fiddling, and it's easier just to use the debug menu to get back to where you were at anyway.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: July 23, 2012, 04:34:18 pm »

Thanks. Now I get to try playing a game I don't really understand and attempt to hopefully not die!

...yeah I'm screwed.

By the way, my main concern with the updating was that I'd be forced to go through all the crap with PuTTY again, since I'm lazy and it was effort.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: July 23, 2012, 05:58:24 pm »

PuTTY is either very old version, or (more likely) it's how you connect to the online server.  If you don't mind the server, then you don't mind the PuTTY.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: July 23, 2012, 06:23:50 pm »

So I read somewhere waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in this thread, that jackhammers can't be used to destroy street (ground) tiles. I'm currently holed up in a Lab and want to dig some pits outside, but I can't dig holes in street tiles.

Is there any method of turning them into normal ground tiles? Or does a jackhammer work now? Maybe sledgehammer works?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:29 pm »

I solved that problem by crashing a car through the lab doors/walls. You can dig pits in the resulting rubble.

Cataclysm. In the post-apocalyptic near-future there's no problem that can't be solved by crashing vehicles into it enough times.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 777