Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294776 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10560 on: July 16, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »

Yeah, but I consider that borderline cheating, along with Ugly.  NPCs are rather bugged right now, so taking traits that don't apply thanks to incomplete behavior...  Still, I guess a real noob needs all the help they can get!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10561 on: July 16, 2012, 08:38:44 pm »

I justify it to myself because I would take it even if lying to NPCs actually helped me. Which is why I don't take Ugly - that, and I don't want to be ugly.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10562 on: July 16, 2012, 08:46:11 pm »

I take them because NPCs are annoying.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
^Those buggers are more annoying than zombies! At least zombies don't congregate near my cave and heckle me as I drive past on motorcycles. >_<

Seriously, if there was a negative perk which made any NPC you came across turn into a zombie, I would take it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:36 pm »

You can turn NPCs off...  Just make a .txt file named "nonpc" - it doesn't matter what's written in it, it's only the file name that counts.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10564 on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:53 pm »

Awesome.

Also, large motor get! Damn, those things are heavy. Had to drop all my lewt to drag it over to the motorcycle and stuff it in the magic hauling box.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: July 16, 2012, 09:03:13 pm »

Most people park their vehicle in the store and instal it on-site.  Seems like a legit way to spend the night!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: July 16, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »

I see no need; my motorcycle's magical box now has a wheel, a large motor, and a seat in it. At this rate, by the time I get back to camp I will have stored the better part of a motorcycle in the box of the motorcycle. :D
They are very heavy, but so long as you aren't hauling it all the way back home, there's not much need to install onsite.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: July 16, 2012, 09:16:58 pm »

Many players aren't strong enough to actually pick one up though.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: July 16, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »

Huh, really? I'm only strength 9. But yeah, I guess I can see how they may be unable to lift it. Particularly if they got the bad back trait from mutagens.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: July 16, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »

4 for android perk is cheap and I usually reroll if the RNG is going to make me starve. Go to mines and find some CBM Construction. Strength +20. HRAGH!! Teach that 6L who's boss.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: July 16, 2012, 09:26:47 pm »

Eheheh, found another wheel on my travels. My motorcycle's box now contains: 1 Large motor, 1 Large wheel, 1 wheel, 1 seat. A few more items and I shall have a full motorcycle in my box. :D

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10571 on: July 16, 2012, 09:31:29 pm »

So what is a good strategy for designing a character? Stick with 8 stats and buy tons of skills? Upgrade stats and get minimal skills? Bulk up on perks?

Skills you can get from books and NPCs, so I would not buy those at CharGen.  I cant advise you for your play-style, fast and agile would be different from a strong toe-to-toe slugger.  But get high enough stats to meet the prerequisites and be good at what you want to do, and load up on whatever advantages make you shine.

After all, you can never get those advantages or skill minimums later.

Personally, I like a little parkour so I can dodge over counters and through windows and things to get a little extra distance from the mob.  But really, I think that is only good as an early game strategy.  Makes less difference if you start to really arm up with high encumberance outfits and cyber out.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10572 on: July 16, 2012, 09:44:29 pm »

Worth noting, that there's only two real ways to go toe-to-toe with anything.  1: Swords will block attacks like a boss.  2: Martial Arts styles will increase your block and dodge abilities significantly.

Trying to armor-up and face an enemy is nigh-impossible.  Armor will encumber your melee too much!  Windows and terrain abuse aren't really toe-to-toe either, that's more like toe-to-elbow-in-the-throat.  Same with firearms.

Although really your best bet is to never face a fair fight.  Zombies are stupid.  Windows, fire, traps, and other tricks are your friend.  Why would you ever fight fair when they outnumber you by the millions?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:17 pm »

Digging deep pits is an amazing low tech defense for your home which almost never fails. Dig a sort of trench system around your place of residence, leaving no straight path to your place. Pits do enough damage that a few layers will kill most zombies just by falling in, and also incapacitate them for more than enough time to kill them for free melee skills. And since you get a popup warning if you try to walk into one, you don't need to worry about accidentally falling in yourself. I've been defending my house successfully against dozens of zombies using nothing but a broadsword and occasional shovel when a zombie's gut swallows the sword.

My motorcycle is now carrying:
1 solar panel
2 large electric motors
1 seat
2 storage cells
1 large wheel
1 small wheel
Though it seems to have slowed the motorcycle pretty significantly, what with the combined weight of nearly a ton. :P
Default motorcycle, max speed is down to about 43 and acceleration is a lot lower.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17:17 pm »

You forgot something
Yours is really more like this
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 777