Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295237 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10335 on: July 10, 2012, 02:39:21 pm »

NPCs are weird right now, and everyone is extremely violent.  I just don't bother with them.  Or I just run them over and loot their corpses.

Now that vehicles are vanilla, mods aren't such a big deal though.  There's a few bugfix/balance mods floating about, though most of them haven't updated yet.  I've modded my own game to let solar panels be installed easier on vechiles - level 3 mechanics instead of level 6 - and made electric motors and solar panels spawn in electronics stores like they should - the mod maker accidentally made them spawn in missile silos by making them "mi_electronics" instead of "mi_consumer_electronics" and Whales missed fixing that as well.  I generally don't use the big total-revamp mods though, just some small item tweaks or very specific balance changes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10336 on: July 10, 2012, 02:57:08 pm »

Where could I find an assortment of mods, then?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: July 10, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »

The modding sub-forum: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?board=6.0

The big mods are really Darkling Wolf's - though he's put his on hold while he redoes everything - and creidieki's bugfixing mod.  Since vehicles are now vanilla, the one big mod is pretty much no longer a mod.

Although modding many things isn't hard.  I've managed to get my compiler running, so if there's any pressing issues that could be tweaked, I can take a look, and many others are good at modding too.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: July 10, 2012, 03:12:17 pm »

Speaking of vehicles, is there a bike? (not motorbike)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:19 pm »

Speaking of vehicles, is there a bike? (not motorbike)
I don't think so.
Although I do like the idea of a manpower "engine", that is silent but very low power. Could then make the system more versatile for things like bikes, as well as making light cars and such. Or just because of potential Flintstones imagery in your head.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »

There is not, though many people suggested it, the idea got a bit hung when we realized that you'd be riding your bicycle over fences and through broken windows.  Not to mention that it'd have to be handled very carefully, or else you'd get players moving 5x as fast and being able to beat down zombies in superspeed.

I suppose it'd be possible to make a unique vehicle that can't be modified and has a fixed speed.  I'd have to look closer at the vehicle code, but it should be possible to make the "construct new vehicle" option also allow you to "deploy bike".  The bike would be a 1 tile vehicle with very low speed, no fuel consumption, and be very vulnerable to fences and countertops.  Be fun if there were also a folding bike, which were lower volume and weight for when you carried it in your inventory.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10341 on: July 10, 2012, 03:41:26 pm »

The modding sub-forum: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?board=6.0

The big mods are really Darkling Wolf's - though he's put his on hold while he redoes everything - and creidieki's bugfixing mod.  Since vehicles are now vanilla, the one big mod is pretty much no longer a mod.

Although modding many things isn't hard.  I've managed to get my compiler running, so if there's any pressing issues that could be tweaked, I can take a look, and many others are good at modding too.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I guess once I figure out how to play well, I'll figure out how to make a kind of GTA mode or something.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: July 10, 2012, 04:05:47 pm »

Heh... I guess we still need a vehicle mod after all.

You know what I've come to think would be good for this game? A kind of fatigue stat. I mean, right now, you can just stand at a bathroom window and chop down zombie after zombie, or just run for days on end. A fatigue stat would make even common zombies more dangerous as you won't be able to fight or run from them forever, and there would be less need for the gimmicky zombies (which I'm not particularly fond of) to threaten the player.

Hmm... Setting aside the biggest hinder of me not knowing how to code for shit, would it be possible to mod something like that?

There is not, though many people suggested it, the idea got a bit hung when we realized that you'd be riding your bicycle over fences and through broken windows.  Not to mention that it'd have to be handled very carefully, or else you'd get players moving 5x as fast and being able to beat down zombies in superspeed.

I suppose it'd be possible to make a unique vehicle that can't be modified and has a fixed speed.  I'd have to look closer at the vehicle code, but it should be possible to make the "construct new vehicle" option also allow you to "deploy bike".  The bike would be a 1 tile vehicle with very low speed, no fuel consumption, and be very vulnerable to fences and countertops.  Be fun if there were also a folding bike, which were lower volume and weight for when you carried it in your inventory.

There could be bike tires though. Possibly that break a lot easier than car wheels. There could be thin and broad kinds, the first which moves faster on flat ground (like that perk, though I'm not sure it actually does anything) but makes it harder to move off road.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: July 10, 2012, 04:09:31 pm »

I think the 'fatigue' concept will be what the "Tiredness" thing is for, once it works properly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: July 10, 2012, 04:10:26 pm »

Well, you do currently need to eat and sleep like you're Usain Bolt except you NEVER STOP RUNNING. Including in your sleep.
Also that cravings can make you almost as sad as being drunk and high at the same time. the PC really sucks at being a stable person, honestly
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: July 10, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »

You certainly could make different kinds of bike tires, and then different bikes and different gear shifts and brake handles and whatnot.  But would that add enough content to justify the variety?  A bike is a bike, it's simple and it works.  You could get complicated, but do you really want to?

A fatigue system could be added, but same as above.  While possible, does it actually improve gameplay?  Cataclysm is made to have some very straightforward controls and interface, not to overburden the player with all your day-to-day worries.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: July 10, 2012, 04:16:18 pm »

Well, you do currently need to eat and sleep like you're Usain Bolt except you NEVER STOP RUNNING. Including in your sleep.
Also that cravings can make you almost as sad as being drunk and high at the same time. the PC really sucks at being a stable person, honestly

Eating every 5 minutes is probably the only thing I dislike.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: July 10, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »

That's why I always get Light Eater.  But I agree, the game assumes you're hyperventilating and running at all times and burns calories like tissue paper in a bonfire.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: July 10, 2012, 04:21:59 pm »

Is there a mod or rebuild that mitigates this?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: July 10, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »

There is not, but it'd be easy to tweak.  The file game.cpp includes the turn calculations.  It checks every 30 turns (5 minutes) for hunger and thirst type things.  It'd just be a matter of turning that 30 into 45 or such.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 777