Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hunting with your military?  (Read 3146 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
Hunting with your military?
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:06:43 am »

From what I have gathered this is a viable strategy. But whenever I use it the military dwarves do kill what i tell them to but no one comes to gather said dead animal what am i doing wrong?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting with your military?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:08:16 am »

I think you have to unforbid the corpse and set your standing orders to pick up outside corpses before your dwarf will do anything with animals killed by your military.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:12:37 am »

It's under the refuse settings.  Gather refuse from outside, or maybe bodies from outside, I think.  I've done this before, using either my military to kill some annoying animal(s) or using my traps as free meat generators :)
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 03:25:50 am »

Gather refuse from outside being on helps. Also have spare butchers and tanners handy. They'll process the bodies as they get to your refuse pile. Also assign a few dwarfs to only haul food and refuse. You'll need them. Especially in the early years.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:29:33 am »

As above with gathering refuse from outside setting. It helps to have refuse stockpile next to butchers and tanners. And have two or more of each working building since animal hunting causes bursts of work that can overwhelm one workshop, to point that other corpses rots.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 03:41:23 am »

As above with gathering refuse from outside setting. It helps to have refuse stockpile next to butchers and tanners. And have two or more of each working building since animal hunting causes bursts of work that can overwhelm one workshop, to point that other corpses rots.

Definitely. I usually have 4 butchers and 2 tanners shops with a refuse pile the same footprint of that block of workshops close to it. It helps with processing of mass butchering and hunter kills.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:46:25 am »

Not advisable to hunt with your military. My axedwarf died yesterday, after having his left lower arm and right hand broken by a capybara.

Or seven.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:52:10 am »

I use hunters as my military, so it's kind of inverted for me.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 08:43:23 am »

Not advisable to hunt with your military. My axedwarf died yesterday, after having his left lower arm and right hand broken by a capybara.

Or seven.
Was he wearing full metal armour?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:58:17 am »

Or seven.
Was he wearing full metal armour?

Steel breastplate, a pair of steel gauntlets, bismuth bronze mail shirt, iron helmet, iron cap and copper chain leggings. Not going to specify the quality.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:18:40 am »

Or seven.

I always uses markdwarves to hunt, seems like bad idea to have melee without support, considering some critters :o

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 09:54:34 am »

Or seven.

Died from a broken arm? Your medical dwarfs are slacking... :)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 10:40:44 am »

Unless you're in calm meadows or whatever using melee hunting is a bad idea, here's why:
Hunters run after the animals and take potshots at them. Animal flees. Animal dies - they take it to the butcher's. They run out of bolts - they go get more.
Military closes in on animal. Animal flees. Military catches up. Elephant gores the hammerdwarf in the head, tearing the brain!
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:58 am »

Horse just kicked my wrestler through the skull. :( Leave hunting to the ambushers!

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 01:01:52 pm »

Giant Capybara are nasty little turds.  Even against armor the bastards will "latch firmly" and later on, shake off entire limbs if the dwarf doesn't pull free. 

Use marksdwarves for hunting, not melee.  I had two copper-armored melee dwarves get limbs ripped off by Giant Capybaras in the first year of a fort; yet a single unarmored Ranger successfully hunted them for the first two years of the fort without injury.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: [1] 2