Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: material-specific crafts, or, down with llama wool scepters!  (Read 795 times)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This seems like a simple thing to implement:

When you "make (material) crafts" in a workshop, the variety of crafts that pop out should be more appropriate to the type of material used. Let's say:

stone - figurines, amulets, earrings, bowls, charms, tablets, bracelets (strung together from polished stones, I'd imagine)
pottery - figurines, amulets, bowls, dishes
metal - figurines, amulets, earrings, bowls, dishes, charms, scepters, crowns, bracelets, rings
cloth/silk/wool - dolls, bracelets, purses, scarfs... pillows?
leather - dolls, bracelets, purses
bone/shell/tooth - amulets, earrings, charms, scepters, crowns (mainly for awesomeness, here), bracelets
glass - figurines, amulets, earrings, bowls, dishes, charms, scepters, bracelets
wood - figurines, amulets, bowls, charms, scepters, bracelets, tablets
wax - figurines, candles, tablets

Something like that. If this subject catches on any and people suggest what should or should not be allowed in terms of crafts composed of a particular type of material, I'll try to update this list here. For example, what other ambient objects would be made out of leather or wax? I drew a blank there.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: material-specific crafts, or, down with llama wool scepters!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:10:50 am »

Since crafts are pretty useless right now it's not really important to do this. Not that it's a bad idea or anything.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:57:25 am »

Isn't wax mainly useful in conjunction with other stuff, not in itself?

Tablets seem kinda pointless unless something is scribbled onto them and then it starts overlapping with other skills.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:20:45 pm »

Tablets seem kinda pointless unless something is scribbled onto them and then it starts overlapping with other skills.

Hehe. Tablets made it on there because it was the one independent object I found, besides candles and figurines, under the "historical use" section of the "beeswax" entry in Wikipedia. Should they be "plaques", maybe? I'm not sure.

I figure candles could go under "wax crafts" for now until artificial lighting is implemented, then maybe wax crafts can disappear entirely. The point of this suggestion is that it's a bit of text polish for the game that seems like it would be very easy to implement for the time being.

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 06:18:29 pm »

Since crafts are pretty useless right now it's not really important to do this.

How do you figure that? One high skilled craftsman produces enough trade goods for my fortress to buy all of its metal bars, coke, booze, food, and anything else I need from traders.

I call that useful. True, after a few years of sieges you can run the Depot entirely on scavenged waste clothes, but still.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:43:36 pm »

Since crafts are pretty useless right now it's not really important to do this. Not that it's a bad idea or anything.

I'd say crafts are pretty useful for using up materials that's not useful otherwise, such as hooves, tusks, horns and skulls. Or have overstock of, such as rocks. And buying caravans out with them :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:45:43 pm »

I'd say crafts are pretty useful for using up materials that's not useful otherwise, such as hooves, tusks, horns and skulls. Or have overstock of, such as rocks. And buying caravans out with them :D

Honestly I feel like Santa Clause every single time I play Fortress mode.