Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How to dispose of worn out owned items  (Read 8941 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to dispose of worn out owned items
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 03:35:47 am »

Wait, so you intend to have ONE room be this worn clothing magnet in a potentially 100+ population fort where many dwarves have important full-time jobs? You'll never make a dent in the worn clothing mess. Now an array of 100 such rooms probably would work.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 05:02:15 am »

Wait, so you intend to have ONE room be this worn clothing magnet in a potentially 100+ population fort where many dwarves have important full-time jobs? You'll never make a dent in the worn clothing mess. Now an array of 100 such rooms probably would work.

Unless your fort is absurdly huge one room will do fine if it's fairly central.  I've never had a fort where one dwarf's labors can't be spared for a few days once or twice every few years.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 05:07:22 am »

It's not that hard, at least not for me, since dwarves won't put on clothings outside of uniforms. It's pretty much abusing squad commands and rotating through them until nobody's worn out (or just plain naked ). Then down comes the bridges after they leaves  :D

It's more annoying micromanagement that happens every few years for the ones with assigned uniforms, for me.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 08:32:56 am »

Hmm, I guess it's something I can't quite understand due to my priorities. Building cabinets for everyone's rooms is less hassel to me than instructing dwarves to stop everything they're doing just to move their belongings. I'd rather save my micromanagement for carefully decorating items.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 10:43:09 am »

Hmm, I guess it's something I can't quite understand due to my priorities. Building cabinets for everyone's rooms is less hassel to me than instructing dwarves to stop everything they're doing just to move their belongings. I'd rather save my micromanagement for carefully decorating items.
Enjoy the low FPS?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 11:02:20 am »

I second dfcleanowned.  It is fast and simple.  These other methods get really painful once your dwarf count gets north of 50.  If you're using Dwarf Therapist, which reads and writes from DF memory, then you should have no problem with dfcleanowned (besides having to execute it from a command shell).
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 11:52:06 am »

I second dfcleanowned.  It is fast and simple.  These other methods get really painful once your dwarf count gets north of 50.  If you're using Dwarf Therapist, which reads and writes from DF memory, then you should have no problem with dfcleanowned (besides having to execute it from a command shell).

Admittedly one key difference between Dwarf Therapist and DFCleanOwned is that while they both write directly to DF memory, DT only does so in ways you could have done yourself (although very tediously in some cases) through the DF interface.

DFCleanOwned allows you to *confiscate* (remove ownership of) items arbitrarily, which you cannot do through the regular interface.  Normally I'd consider that "cheating", but the way I look at it I'm just working around a bug.  I can't imagine the current situation with dwarves wearing rotting clothes (and getting unhappy thoughts about them) until they disintegrate all while claiming shiny new clothes that they never wear is how Toady intends for all this to work, so I don't mind working around it with a hack for now.

I mean, has anyone noticed how the "Refuse" stockpile has options to accept worn out clothes, yet no worn out clothes ever get put there?  It will be a very happy day when the bug is fixed and dwarves toss their own worn out clothes in the refuse stockpile without having to resort to hacks.

--nomad_delta

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »

Concur that dfcleanowned is not cheating, as it works around a bug which has no acceptable in-game workaround.

I still have yet to observe my dwarves putting on new clothes, even after they are induced to throw the worn clothes out.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 12:46:36 pm »

Admittedly one key difference between Dwarf Therapist and DFCleanOwned is that while they both write directly to DF memory, DT only does so in ways you could have done yourself (although very tediously in some cases) through the DF interface.
There's a cheat option to DT.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 01:32:21 pm »

I mean, has anyone noticed how the "Refuse" stockpile has options to accept worn out clothes, yet no worn out clothes ever get put there?  It will be a very happy day when the bug is fixed and dwarves toss their own worn out clothes in the refuse stockpile without having to resort to hacks.

--nomad_delta

I've actually seen them put worn clothing in the refuse stockpile, but that was only from military assigned uniform while I was resetting their uniforms. Buncha haulers dragged the one with X or XX right off to the stockpile, was a surprise for me! They don't do it on their own, nor do they change clothings like that, unfortunately.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 02:19:05 pm »

I just dump and atom smash.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 02:55:09 pm »

You can't dump (or do much of anything with) owned items, which I think is rather the point of this thread.

--nomad_delta

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »

You can't dump (or do much of anything with) owned items, which I think is rather the point of this thread.

--nomad_delta

Dwarves dump their own items, when designated for  dumping, but it can take years for a particular item. I was fighting with it when I had backpacks, and they were littering with their unclaimed food. I was surprised on couple of occasions, when they actually dumped their items. But other dwarves can hang around for ages with No Job and not dumping, and they create trash much faster than they dump it. This is why I believe that to be a bug with priorities, like a decimal point moved by two places somewhere in the game code  or something like that.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 04:30:42 pm »

--nomad_delta

Sure you can, I do it all the time. Typically it's dead Dwarves' Stuff, so it's a little easier, for everything else, theirs cabinets.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »

I've never had more than a handful of my dwarves have legitimate full time jobs. Everyone else I just put on masonry and engraving because there's nothing else for them to do, given that about 4 or 5 dwarves can feed an entire fortress. Another few dozen for the military and then I pretty much have to make up jobs for everyone else to do.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3