Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How to dispose of worn out owned items  (Read 8949 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to dispose of worn out owned items
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:44:45 pm »

Would like some input on this idea.

This would best be implemented in a fortress with no private bedrooms.

Create a bedroom suspended over lava with lots and lots of coffers in it, and a couple beds. 

As you start to notice dwarves dropping worn out clothing, look at the clothing, see who owns it, then assign them to a bedroom, and after they store their stuff, unassign them.  Cycle dwarves through this process, cleaning up dropped items.

Every now and then, drop the whole bedroom into lava, getting rid of all the worn out clothing.  It would be advisable to not use magma safe materials for the walls or floors that you build, you want things to melt away.

Dwarven hotel room?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: How to dispose of worn out owned items
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:52:25 pm »

Or make everything magma safe and make the floors grates and after a dwarf leaves his stuff on the hotel's floor you let fall a bridge full of magma through the room. That way you can reuse it
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:55:30 pm »

Or make everything magma safe and make the floors grates and after a dwarf leaves his stuff on the hotel's floor you let fall a bridge full of magma through the room. That way you can reuse it

Ah that might work better, but if there's no container, will a dwarf reliably move the items?  I know they will sometimes.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:01:23 am »

(ack... really wonky, deleted this one too)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:08:43 am by nomad_delta »

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:01:45 am »

Magma will destroy the wooden beds.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:04:31 am »

edit: something went wonky and caused a double post... deleted one.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:07:37 am by nomad_delta »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:05:11 am »

Magma will destroy the wooden beds.

True, but since you are unassigning the bedrooms anyway, just disassemble the beds and store them.  If you don't give the litterers anywhere else to put their stuff, they will leave it there to be burned.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:06:50 am »

Normally I'm heavily against "cheating" in my DF -- I won't use quantum stockpiles, I won't use atom-smashers, perpetual-motion reactors, etc.

However, since I'm fairly certain that dwarves claiming new clothing when their clothes wear out but failing to ever actually wear the new ones or dispose of the old worn out ones and then leaving them all over the place cluttering up the world is a bug, I don't feel at all bad about using a wonderful utility from the DFHack (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58809.0) package called "dfcleanowned".

Removes the ownership flag from items. By default, owned food on the floor and rotten items are confistacted and dumped.

Options:

-a   confiscate all owned items
-l   confiscated and dump all items scattered on the floor
-x   confiscate/dump items with wear level 'x' and more
-X   confiscate/dump items with wear level 'X' and more
-d   a dry run. combine with other options to see what will happen without it actually happening.

...once they're confiscated and marked for dumping I just have my dwarves toss the old worn out stuff down the garbage chute straight to the magma sea along with the other trash.

--nomad_delta

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:08:27 am »

Yes, but this requires modding.  It's dwarfier to figure out how to do it without modding, I think :P

Especially if you get to use magma.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 12:14:06 am »

It's not modding.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 12:18:56 am »

It's not modding.

You are reaching into the game with a tool and editing items in a way you cannot do ingame.

I've used Dwarf Therapist because I can do pretty much anything in the game that I can do in DT, so I consider DT a extension not a mod.

Changing the way items actually work when I can fix it with magma just seems wrong :P

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 12:34:34 am »

i just use the garbage-men.

err- the caravan.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:03:34 am »

i just use the garbage-men.

err- the caravan.
Owned items don't show up for trade.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 03:06:35 am »

My usual method for getting rid of owned item clutter's what I calls "The roving atom-smasher" Have a little stack of mechanisms, some blocks, and a few statues handy. Go around, find a clutter of owned items ( or a bedroom with furnishings moved out ). Build a raising bridge ( you only need one tile, but it can be as big as you want ). Hook it up to a lever, and depending on if it's one-tiled wide or multi-tiled, either 'raise' the bridge, or go straight to using the statues to 'herd' the owned items out of the way ( dwarves will only move things N/S/E/W as far as I can tell, that should leave some space to wander through ). Then smash once stuff's in place. Deconstruct them all, move to next clutter.

Also in response to bed burning, does nethercap bed burns? I've heard that stuffs made from that wood don't burns.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 03:34:28 am »

here's another way: create an empty unifrom and set it to "replace civilian clothing"
make a meeting hall that can be easily filled with magma or atom-smashed. (or emptied into magma/smasher via retracting floor)
when a dwarf enter dining room, add him to the "empty uniform" squad and send him elsewhere. He'll drop his garbage and run soldiering.
Then, when there are no dwarves in the meeting hall, activate the disposal device.
Pages: [1] 2 3