Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: For Glory and Adamantine: The Story of Steelbeard (epic succession, .25)  (Read 12406 times)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile

1st Granite

I have noticed that during the whole previous year another person was running the fortress. As the expedition leader, I have found that outrageous. I have already taken back control and is now considering a punishment for Vabok.

Since I was mindlessly training during Vabok's reign, I took a one-man tour around the fortress. Since we arrived, it appears to have improved significantly, but some flaws have been noted.

1) Caverns are not secure. Apparantly, Vabok has assumed that water around our entry point to the cavern will protect us from creatures. I will personally send him down unarmed to greet the first cave alligator we find.
2) Workshops. Some workshops are queued to be constructed but nobody is getting around to constructing them due to nobody having a job related to the shop. I'll let that stand for now, since the migrant wave will surely bring mroe useless workers.
3) Farming. We only have one farmer?!
4) Stockpiles. Vabok, although doing a valiant effort, didn't organize food and finished goods stockpiles very well.

Since working to improve this fortress is tough work, I have claimed the room above Bastan's tomb. Hopefully this will be a year of economic growth rather than military death.

9th Granite

Our farmers have spotted an olm man blowgunner in the first level cavern where the walls are being built. Vabok, sadly, has not seen it yet. I'm pulling out the farmers and sticking to constructing the walls before the blowgunner spots us. Just to be safe, though, I have put the military on alert. None of them are too happy about being stationed down there. Rumors are going around that the olm men coat their weapons with poison.

7th Slate

Migrants! Just in time. We were getting short on workers to construct those walls. I have made preparation for a surface tower and barracks, along with statue garden so that our community doesn't get cave adapted. Most of us are working at a continuous pace, finishing up the work and improving the fortress quality.

My room is nearly complete, just the addition of more doors, more tables/chairs, and a lot more armor stands and weapon racks will leave me with a grand or royal bedroom. Only the finest is going in there; all the stuff inside is made from our legendary mason.

I am thinking that it might be easier to stuff all the nobles in this room once they arrive, since its so big that they'll probably be satisfied by the quality even though the rooms overlap.

-Er, I might have overstated of needing workers to the caravan. 23 migrants?!

I'll draft half of them and see how fast they level.

22nd Slate

Our military is progressing along at a slow, but steady pace. Somehow all of the new recruits but one found metal weapons to use. I'm making a steel spear for the last recruit so he doesn't go into battle with a wooden spear.

Also, two days ago a fish dissector took over a metalsmith's forge that nobody was using. Picked up some copper bars and a piece of cloth, and is now working at a breakneck pace. He hasn't been himself since then, working as if he's in a trance.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile

Can I have a turn?

Neverplayedbefore-----Noob-----Myskillevel-----Average-----Good-----Legendary-----CoulddoBoatmurdredwithoughlosing1dwarf
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turns are already filled

Also Conan, pics plox
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll get pics when its really essential or such. This is small stuff.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile

Turns are already filled

The hell you talking about? Turns aren't filled, there's no such thing. This is a succession fort.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meant that it won't even reach 11

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile

Hah, fair enough. Still, having a lengthy list of successors, at least for me, increases the incentive to not screw up.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile

Turns are already filled

The hell you talking about? Turns aren't filled, there's no such thing. This is a succession fort.

He's right. This is a no-limit succession list. Mobotium has been added.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A letter sent from AussieEvil back to the Mountainhomes

I hope this message finds you well, dear cousin. A lot has been happening in the two or so years since I left to help start Steelbeard, which has become quite a nice village. There has been no sign yet of Limâr's Gift* yet, but we are still searching.

In response to your fall letter: Yes, I am still a miner, and a legendary one at that (at least that's what I have been told by others). I merely have to give the rock a slight tap with my pick to make it fall -- a far cry from when I could barely breach clay! Grandfather would be proud of me today if he still lived. However, the life of a miner's still racked with danger. A few months ago, I had accidentally stumbled across a giant toad. Oh, how I ran, cousin! I ran, leaving it for our small militia. The toad claimed the hand of Conan (he was the one I told you about in my spring letter last year), but eventually the foul thing was vanquished. Its remains are now a quite fetching bone grate.

The last time I talked with our bookkeeper, I learned we had created goods totaling roughly two hundred thousand coins in value. A small number, sure, but I'm not complaining. This means that we do not have to deal with the horrors of nobility yet. I can still remember the rampage of the Mad Mayor from my childhood. It still sends shivers down my spine. I feel it is better to be considered "lawless" then have some idiot socialite throw you in prison for no reason whatsoever. If there is talk about "bringing order" to Steelbeard, send advanced warning.

I await your next letter.

Yours,

AussieEvil Mesirdakost
Digger First Class
Steelbeard.

*"And this metal shall be my gift to the dedicated ones." - Metal 5:3 from Words of the Listener, a religious text for Limârians.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, if we ever get a barony appoint me and leave me in the military. That way we can have a badass baron who can ignore mandates since he owns our goblin prisoners so quickly that enjoyment from killing offsets his anger towards unfinished mandates.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noted.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We're also seeking artists...

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can do pretty pixelart

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

are you on about engravers in the game or actual people who can draw? I'm pretty decent in photoshop... I'll put up a drawing soon
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can do good pencil drawings and decent MS paint art.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12