Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: For Glory and Adamantine: The Story of Steelbeard (epic succession, .25)  (Read 12395 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the Journal of Vabok Zonstigaz: Manager and Intermediate Overseer. 22nd Timber, 252

With the death of Bastsan, our overseer, I have been given temporary rule over the fortress. Honestly, I don't know why we don't just put Conan in charge, everyone thinks he should get the job. But rules are rules, and the rules say the selection of a new overseer must be done at the start of spring. Don't ask me why, I don't make the rules, I just work with them.

As my first act as temporary overseer I've lifted the restrictions on civilian movement so they can clean up the mess from the goblin ambush. Conan was quite upset at that, worrying that there might be other ambush parties lying in wait. I told him that logically if there were more goblins around they would have joined in the assault but that doesn't seem to have calmed his nerves.

I've also decided to have our rhinoceros butchered. The useless beast is just taking up space, and even though it does nothing but eat it appears to be starving. I'm doing it a mercy, really, it obviously can't survive here. I don't know what the former overseer was thinking.

25th Timber

Bastsan has been laid to rest in her ridiculously decadent tomb. Even in its current half smoothed state it is grander than most royal tombs I have seen. I personally think that both it and her former bedroom are a waste of fortress resources and undeserved considering her accomplishments. Really, her crowning achievement was being in the right place at the right time, and then dying because of it. It could have happened to almost anyone.

The miners have stumbled upon a second level of caverns after digging beyond the first. I've ordered the entrance paved over for now so nothing horrible gets into the fortress. As for the miners, I'm going to have them dig some exploratory tunnels to keep them busy and see if there is any more ore to be found. They've found marble so we have everything we need for steel except iron.

27th Timber

A snatcher was spotted a short while ago, but it was driven off before it could do any harm.

Conan was busy so I had to send out a less experienced dwarf. We ended up overpaying considerably but I'm happy with what we got in return. Steel bars, iron armour and booze, all well worth our useless rock crafts. We also got some animals, including a breeding pair of dogs and, more importantly, a cat to deal with our vermin problem.

8th Moonstone

One of our woodcutters has apparently gone into one of those strange moods. I remember when it happened to me, really quite an uplifting experience. I don't know if this will be the same as mine because I'm told that she is acting more like the cheesemaker when he made the bone throne. She has claimed a craftsdwarf workshop and started gathering materials. I will watch her carefully.

She immediately headed for the refuse room and gathered up the bones from the rhino and the giant toad.

19th Moonstone

Well the woodcutter is finished what she was working on and it's... well... Conan tells me it's the most valuable artifact produced in Steelbeard to date so there's that.

That name, Cradlegloss the Fleshy Boots... it, uh.. it evokes some interesting imagery.

9th Opal

A dwarf of little consequence gave birth to a boy today. The second baby born in Steelbeard.

I am getting annoyed at our metalworkers because the production of charcoal is not keeping up with demand, probably because the wood burners have to walk so far to get logs, but I'd rather blame their general laziness.

12th Opal

I have noticed articles of clothing appearing strewn randomly across the floor of Bastsan's tomb.

At first I assumed it was just litter dropped by the engravers or something but then I actually caught one of the perpetrators in the act. She said that she was just told to place the clothes in the tomb and nothing else. I guess these are Bastsan's old clothes and they're being put in here as part of some burial tradition. Inefficient and useless if you ask me. Those clothes could be sold or put to use by another dwarf but instead they are left in a tomb to rot.

14th Obsidian

The Crystalline Beaks have been practising in their barracks for a long time now and I think it is time they had some live combat. As one of the final acts of my all-too-short rule I'm ordering them to wipe out the olm men living in the upper caverns. They should prove n match to our copper-clad warriors.

Of course the outpost liaison who's been stalking Conan all season trying to arrange a meeting decided to follow them, and of course he decided that the perfect time to engage Conan in a meeting is during a battle with a dozen olm men. I swear, the mountainhomes sends the biggest idiots they can find just to mess with us.

As expected the olm men were unceremoniously slaughtered while inflicting no injuries to our militia whatsoever. Perhaps I should have had the militia use training weapons so the battle would have lasted longer and they would have gotten more experience. Oh well, at least we have the tribe's worthless junk to add to our pile, although one of the olm men apparently escaped into the water and is now scaring our haulers.

Intermediate Overseer's Journal: Final Entry, 1st Granite, 253

Well, it is now spring, which means that my term is up and the new overseer will finally be chosen. I've had our bookkeeper, Billybobfred, compile a year end report on the status of the fort. Here is the summary:

Now it is time for me to engage in that finest of dwarven traditions: passing the most important job of the fort on to the next dwarf I pass in the hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well That's the end of my turn. A little boring at the start but it picked up towards the end.

Here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4616
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should've PMed that
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile

Next up is Conan.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile

I got two forts to work on so I'll get to this by late tomorrow (Monday) or early Tuesday.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for checking in.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

back to page 1....

trillioneyes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'd like a turn at this if it's still going by the time it gets to me. This will be my first succession game. It looks awesome and I love the squad name.

Dorf me as Trillion I guess. Any dwarf will do but I prefer female.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're on the turn list.

Conan, you have until midnight PST tonight to post, else you will lose your turn.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, just to let you know, I dwarfed everyone except Ashton1993 (who wants to be a dying militia dwarf).
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you.

Conan, you have 4 hours left to post, or else you will lose your turn.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cannot finish by then so skip me.

I meant 4 hours to post your first update, after which you will have a week to complete your turn. Are you still sure you want to drop?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:09:31 pm by aussieevil »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh, then no. Can you give me 12 hours instead since I have to go to sleep soon... Tomorrow I have the whole day to work on DF. I can get started tomorrow at 9:00 or so in the morning and post something by 10:00.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You have until 10 AM, then.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you. Sorry that I'm taking so long, I have other things in life that I also like to attend to.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12