Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: For Glory and Adamantine: The Story of Steelbeard (epic succession, .25)  (Read 12402 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is my guy a legendary mason yet? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Anyway, been loving your update style, can't wait for more.
No, merely great. We currently have four legendaries: one from a mood, one from cutting trees (my dwarf), and the two miners.

And thanks for the compliment btw.

Ashton, do you want a dwarf as well?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Overseer's Log: 28th Limestone, 252

Both Conan and the unnamed speardwarf are refusing treatment for their injuries. They seem to be healing fine despite the severity of their wounds. Of course nothing can be done for Conan's hand, but it doesn't seem to be slowing him down. In fact he got right back to work as soon as he was done killing the toad, not even taking a break. A true dwarf if I ever saw one.

In light of recent events I've decided to get our new militia properly equipped. I will assign a few of the less useful dwarves work as metalsmiths and furnace operators. I was going to have the two iron anvils we bought from the humans melted down, but going through the books I found out we had two steel anvils just sitting in a stockpile somewhere. Obviously they will serve us better as weapons. In addition there are a couple tin cages we can melt down and use to make bronze. These stronger metals will be made into weapons but armour will have to be made out of copper.

I've had a door installed in the tunnels to stop any monsters from getting into the fort. It will serve for now, but I doubt it will hold against anything that really wants in.

In lighter news, the haulers are pretty much done taking the waste stone out of my rooms. The engravers are taking their sweet time though.

12th Sandstone

A group of migrants has been sighted coming down the river. No doubt composed of the usual range of useless dwarves who can't afford to live in the mountainhomes. I'm running out of menial tasks for them to do. I suppose I could always draft them now that we have a militia.

The metalworking industry is up and running. The peasants I drafted into it have been a pleasant surprise in regards to the speed and quality of their work. We already have two almost complete suits of copper armour. In fact, they're working too fast. They've already gone through all of our stockpiled copper bars.

There were ten migrants in all. A few had some skills, but for the most part they weren't skills we need. One of them had experience as a swordsdwarf, so I drafted him into the Beaks.

18th Timber

The dwarven caravan has arrived, along with the outpost liaison. I've sent Conan to deal with them. I will have to......

Wait, what was that sound? And that smell... it can only be...

GOBLINS!!!!!

Oh gods there are so many of them. They're all coming for me! They're not supposed to be here this early! I need to get out of here, I need to warn everyone!

“Ambush! Ambush! Everyone get inside! Rally the Crystalline Beaks!”

- Random human lord

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile

This will be interesting to see...

I might begin a side series involving letters sent "back home" from my character.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:59:17 pm by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I don't really know how to handle this one. I could send out the crystalline beaks to try and face them head on and save my dwarf, but I don't think five lightly trained dwarves will be able to beat an entire ambush, especially if I don't organize them first. Two of them are only novices (and one rusty) and the speardwarf is still using a training spear. I'm just glad they were picking up equipment as it was made.

On the other hand, I could rally the troops inside the entrance where cage traps and caravan guards can help even the odds. This would require the sacrifice of my dwarf and likely a few others who are also outside.

Either way it looks like my dwarf is screwed. Your opinions are welcome.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:24:33 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile

Let the caravan guards take the brunt of the attack. Rally the units behind the caravan, the guards should be well enough equipped and trained to help deal with the threat effectively.

Also who's (or what's) Bastan?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My dwarf. She's the one who spotted the ambush.
                        - Random human lord

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel sorry(okay, maybe not so much) for you.

Anyways, do what I suggested.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ashton, do you want a dwarf as well?
Just before an unamed milita dwarf is about to die nickname him ashton and I'll be it's ghost and posess sombody or other  :D maybe multiple people.

EDIT: And looking at that goblin ambush that should be pretty easy to do  :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:51:39 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who said that that's the whole ambush
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

“Conan! Help me gather the Beaks. We need to help the overseer!” yelled Tryrar.

Conan took a long time to reply, and when he did it was in the sobering voice of someone who has considered all the options and found there is no easy way out. “We can't save her, Tyryrar. She is too far away and we are too inexperienced. If we rush out there now we'll only find a warm corpse and a quick death.”

“We at least need to try! We can't just leave one of own out there to die!” Said Tryrar, her fury clearly showing, “I am your commander and I say we shall save her or die trying!”

“Then I am forced to invoke my authority as expedition leader and second in command of this fortress.” Said Conan, “As members of the militia it is our responsibility to defend the fortress, even if the actions we must take to do this are not to our liking. Bastsan will buy us time to ready ourselves and get all the other civilians inside. Organize the Beaks behind the entrance. That is an order.”

“You are a coward and a traitor to the overseer.” Said Tryrar with as much venom as she could muster.

“I can accept those things” said Conan, “What I cannot accept is letting this fortress fall to the goblins because I was not willing to do what was necessary.”

Meanwhile, on the surface...

Run, run, run. Oh gods they're catching up! They're too fast, I can't outrun them! Wait.. What am I doing? I have an axe and I most certainly know how to use it! I'll just pretend they're trees! That's right, little, ugly, murderous trees! Trees, trees, trees, trees, tre- "Aaaugh!" Okay, trees can't fight back, but I- “Ooof!” Oh gods, right in the guts. I feel sick. *CRAACK!!* My leg! Mother of Armok, my leg! The pain! I can't do this much longer, I can't, I can't, I can't, I ca.......

“The enemy is at the entrance!” Screamed Tryrar “Where in Armok's name is Conan?!!”

“He and the speardwarf went to get some equipment.” Yelled back Noah, who was already making his way to the goblins at a brisk pace.

“Of all the bloody- Forget them! Charge! For Steelbeard!!!!”

“Their captain is down! The goblins are retreating!”

A great cheer went up from the dwarven forces. The remaining goblins were chased off the edge of the territory by dwarves eager to get a kill.
                        - Random human lord

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh wow, that was scary
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, well, I did a non-serious attempt at sending the militia out to attack just to see what would happen. They were all slaughtered instantly, so it was less the number and skill of the goblins as much as the complete ineptitude of the militia that made the ambush dangerous. If the caravan wasn't there, we would have been screwed.
                        - Random human lord

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile

I dare say you've earned that grand tomb there.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile

could i be dwarfed as the unnamed speardwarf? by the name of "Komra" custom profession "McHolePoker".

my writing style wouldn't do this thread justice, so i'll just be in it for the ride.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep us on an all year training schedule. No breaks. Make sure there are food and booze piles in our barracks along with beds and designate us to sleep there.

Hopefully we'll be ready for the next attack by the time it comes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12