Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who says nothing good comes from tantrum spirals?  (Read 3172 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Who says nothing good comes from tantrum spirals?
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

I'm in the middle of a massive tantrum spiral with hundreds of dead dwarves... So while all of his friends and family are murdering one another one cleaver dwarf decided to build himself a hiding place. The only problem is the stock pile where he needs to get the materials is currently ground zero for the majority of the rioting and his chancing of making it there and back our slim to none.

Whats a dwarf to do?

http://screencast.com/t/o80PhnLxT5M

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Re: Who says nothing good comes from tantrum spirals?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:55:42 pm »

I love it when a fell or macabre mood gets to be the final artifact of a crumbling fortress. It's a perfect way to sign it off. And a perfect thing to recover when you reclaim the halls littered with your dead and discover the dwarven bone throne bin standing amid the mayhem, carved from the very last lifeblood of the fortress, a dark marvel of dwarven craftsmanship to last the ages.

Dwarf-bone sarcophagi are the best though, in my opinion.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 06:10:17 pm »

Yo dawg, I heard you like dwarf bones so I made you a dwarf bone bone bin so you can keep your bones in your bones
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:34:04 pm »

Yo dawg, I heard you like dwarf bones so I made you a dwarf bone bone bin so you can keep your bones in your bones

YOU CAN'T STORE BONES IN BINS
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:33:49 pm »

YOU CAN'T STORE BONES IN BINS
You can if you craft them first.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:26:12 pm »

Does the strange mood consume all of the corpse, or could we bury a dwarf in a coffin made of his own bones?!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:29:36 pm »

Does the strange mood consume all of the corpse, or could we bury a dwarf in a coffin made of his own bones?!

Yo dawg i herd u like burying Dwarves yo, so we put a Dwarf's bones inside his own bones, so he could R.I.P while he R.I.P.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Lamey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:44 pm »

What's the description of the bin?  Is decorated (un)fittingly or banally?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:47:45 am »

My only fell mood was all dark irony; a statuette commemorating the foundation of the fort, with an image of a dwarf laboring.  In dwarf bone.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 03:04:48 am »

my dwarves once made a dwarf bone war hammer in the middle of a spiral, and i pretend to believe it was that hammer that allowed the CotG to save the fortress from certain death.

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:05:34 am »

my dwarves once made a dwarf bone war hammer in the middle of a spiral, and i pretend to believe it was that hammer that allowed the CotG to save the fortress from certain death.

Screw adamantine warhammers. That is the coolest weapon ever for a CotG...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 08:19:48 am »

It would be cool to see a fort with only one surviving dorf, who enters a fell mood and chops his own leg off to make an artifact :P

Maybe, just maybe we'll see this in future versions.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »

It would be cool to see a fort with only one surviving dorf, who enters a fell mood and chops his own leg off to make an artifact :P

Maybe, just maybe we'll see this in future versions.
I doubt it. You need at least 20 (?) dwarves for a strange mood, fell or not.

Any way to get fell moods and not macabre moods or tantrum spirals?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 03:46:06 pm »

Any way to get fell moods and not macabre moods or tantrum spirals?

Nope - if the game decides that a dwarf is going to get an "unhappy" mood, it's a straight 50/50 chance of that mood being macabre versus fell, just like how a "happy" mood has equal chances of being fey, secretive, or possessed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.