Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nerf Knife?  (Read 5332 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Nerf Knife?
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:12 am »

It seems like no matter what type of knife I use or what it's made out of my legendary dagger toting adventurer just can't penetrate a simple cloth shirt. Is there anyway to get my stab on without stripping my opponents naked or am I doomed to live in a world where cloth beats steel?

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf Knife?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:34:15 am »

Use daggers instead. They use the same skill but are less crappy.

If you absolutely must use knifes, find a civilian with a bronze slicing knife, get them killed and loot it from their corpse. This should be the best knife you can find.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:41:51 am »

Use daggers instead. They use the same skill but are less crappy.

If you absolutely must use knifes, find a civilian with a bronze slicing knife, get them killed and loot it from their corpse. This should be the best knife you can find.
I have a black steel slicing knife, I tried stabbing, slashing, and altogether messing up a peasant wearing simple clothes and all he got was some minor bruising.  I stabbed him IN THE EYE and his rope reed cap stopped it.

Edit: I should also point out that it isn't a problem of crappy knives, I can kill a naked peasant easilly and I've killed four elephants with one they just can't go through clothes.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:44:49 am by Broseph Stalin »

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:04:35 pm »

I don't know what black steel is, so I can't help you there.

But I do know the problem with the overpowered clothing. A little annoying, but since everyone has them it isn't really a real balancing issue. I though you were complaining about knives. They are okay in my book.

Btw, a cap only blocks 50% of the time IIRC, so you just have to be relentless.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:59 pm »

I don't know what black steel is, so I can't help you there.

But I do know the problem with the overpowered clothing. A little annoying, but since everyone has them it isn't really a real balancing issue. I though you were complaining about knives. They are okay in my book.

Btw, a cap only blocks 50% of the time IIRC, so you just have to be relentless.

Black Steel is Genesis and IIRC it's just a step under adamantine. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with stripping my victims naked because as far as I can tell it's physically impossible to do piercing or slashing damage against clothes with a short blade. If it's just an issue with the blade length or size then it's a quick fix.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:45:51 pm »

Thats strange my orc adventurer killed severl villagers with black steel knives.....and boogeymen
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:50:32 pm »

Thats strange my orc adventurer killed severl villagers with black steel knives.....and boogeymen
Oh I can kill them, I can cut off hands and feet and shatter bones and as I already mentioned I routinely kill elephants with them but I've NEVER dealt been able to do cutting or piercing damage through any kind of clothing. What fun are my knifecapades if I can't just stab someone every now and again?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:58:36 pm »

Oh I can kill them, I can cut off hands and feet and shatter bones and as I already mentioned I routinely kill elephants with them but I've NEVER dealt been able to do cutting or piercing damage through any kind of clothing. What fun are my knifecapades if I can't just stab someone every now and again?
oh it's amazing fun, shattering every bone in someone's body, having them still alive then punch you in the head.
it's also !!Fun!!
Yeah but sometimes a fella just wants to puncture both lungs, slice open the stomach, and watch them bleed out while stomping on their hands and feet. I want to be able to sneak into someone's home steal his knife and cut his throat with it but I can't because his shirt is apparently kevlar.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:21:31 pm »

don't use the nerfknife, use the Banhammer instead(couldn't resist :P)

but i do find it odd that they can't, IRL they can if sharp nuff
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:57:58 pm »

Try upping the penetration value on knives?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 09:33:41 pm »

Try using daggers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 10:14:50 pm »

Genesis made the clothing stronger IIRC... knives and daggers are brutally effective in an unmodded game, I know that from playing a dagger ninja adventurer myself.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 12:43:35 pm »

Genesis made the clothing stronger IIRC... knives and daggers are brutally effective in an unmodded game, I know that from playing a dagger ninja adventurer myself.
I think that made it worse, instead of bruising through clothes my attacks are being deflected by them. I still have no problem cutting off hands or feet or even heads if they aren't wearing hats but I still can't get through clothes.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 12:54:38 pm »

Actually I've tested daggers on clothing and I am happy that cutting rarely goes through 3-4 layers of clothing, but stabbing goes right through.

What I didn't think about... The tools. How could I forget :).
Since it's related to my mod, the place for this should be in the modding forum/Genesis thread. But nevertheless, thank you for the feedback! I will tweak the tools.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 02:00:24 pm »

The consensus seems to be it was a genesis problem but the same thing happened in vanilla, might just be that I'm cursed. Fiddled with the weapon stats and now knives are terrifyingly powerful but what would dwarf fortress be without a little bit of ridiculous arbitrary danger?
Pages: [1] 2