Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eclipse Phase - A Suggestion Narrative  (Read 883 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Eclipse Phase - A Suggestion Narrative
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:13:26 am »

This will be a suggestion-based narrative written by me. Hopefully I can keep this one going without getting bogged down or distracted by life. There are n rules:*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“Hello?”

The word claws its way from my parched lips and echoes back at me. My tongue runs along my teeth like sandpaper against my gums. As I slowly regain my faculties, I begin to take stock of my surroundings. I am lying down, I seem to be on some sort of hard surface… it feels sturdy, some kind of bench or slab, and cold… metal or stone. The chill seeps through the thin cloth I am wearing... some kind of hospital gown I think. Off to one side I hear the steady whirr of machinery, whisper quiet rhythm broken by a soft sigh once or twice a second.

With a twitch of horror, I realize I cannot see.

This realization sends a fearful spasm through limbs which seem strangely unfamiliar. My arms surge against leather restraints which bite into my wrists, legs strain against straps over my thighs and shins. The rhythmic mechanical sound to my left begins to speed up, now interposed with a beep.

Beep...Beep...Beep...

As I calm down, the beeping fades. Some sort of medical monitor then. I wonder where that knowledge came from. I cannot seem to remember where I am, or how I got here. My mouth is still incredibly dry, and my head is pounding. The thought that I am probably badly dehydrated comes from that same strangely knowledgeable area of my mind which decided the sound was a medical monitor. I ponder for a moment... part of me seems to know things, but that part is largely inaccessible. When I try to actively recall a memory or specific piece of data, I get nothing.

This is making my head hurt more.

Suddenly there is a snap from beneath the surface I am lying on, not so much heard as felt in the small of my back. The restraints loosen and I am free. Relieved, I attempt to sit up only to fall back dizzy and reeling. I am in bad shape it would seem. My arm trembles with the effort of moving a few scant inches, and my brow breaks out into a cold sweat. Finally I am able to lift my arm clear of the loose strap, which falls away. I still cannot see, and wonder if the room is simply dark... it doesn’t help that I can’t seem to feel my eyes. The thought occurs that I could reach up to my face to verify that my eyes exist, but I shudder and put that off dreading the outcome.

I free my other arm and then lie still for a moment, winded from the simple effort of reaching across my own body. In the process, I discover that I am apparently female. How can I know what a female is and not remember who I am? That word came from the same strangely detached area of my mind as before... an area which seems to resist or ignore active recall. Using my fingertips, I explore the hard metallic surface I am lying on. To my right there seems to be a table, and I find a cylindrical object on it which seems heavy... fully of liquid. A cup. I try to lift it but it is too heavy, I am sweating again and breathing hard, the monitor is beeping at me. There is a hiss of air from near my neck, and I lose consciousness.

“Hello?”

The word claws its way from my parched lips and echoes back at me. My breath rasps in my dry, cracked throat. My neck hurts beneath my right ear, and I remember the hiss of air just before I fell asleep. My arms seem slightly steadier now, so I reach up and discover a small puncture there with a hard plastic cap over it. It is tender, and I decide to leave it alone. At least my arm isn’t shaking any more.

I carefully raise myself to a sitting position, head swimming with each movement. I remember the cup, and reach out nearly knocking it over. Is it closer than before? I can’t tell. It is slippery with condensation now, and difficult to grasp. I carefully grip it and bring it close to my nose. It smells like water; slightly metallic and antiseptic, but water nonetheless. The cold water is refreshing as my parched mouth and throat eagerly drink it down. Perhaps too eagerly, as I inhale some and cough unexpectedly. The cup slips from my hand as a coughing fit overtakes me, contorting my body and wracking my already sore muscles. I hear the cup land and bounce across the floor. As the coughing subsides, I wipe my mouth and swing my legs over the edge of the slab. My toes brush the cold floor, and I consider my next move.

What do I do?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:22:03 am by forsaken1111 »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse Phase - A Suggestion Narrative
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:31:08 am »

Your initial plan of verifying the existance of your eyes is a good one. Do that.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »

Try to make a mental map of your body using your sense of touch, there might be more clues.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:55:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dreading what I may find, but knowing the necessity of the action, I slowly reach up towards my face. I feel my chin, lips, and nose... all normal. How I know what ‘normal’ is, I’m not really sure but nothing there surprises me. Above my nose I feel a hard substance embedded in my skin, some kind of plastic or metal beneath the flesh. As my tentative fingers explore further, I feel a metal surface over where my eyes should be. The surface is irregular, covered in tiny slits running up and down. I feel seven vertical slits on each side, situated over where my eyes would be. I have no sensation of touch or pressure. As I feel around, it becomes clear that the metal surface emerges smoothly from the skin around my eyes and covers them completely. It melds back with my skin above the eyes but runs beneath the flesh along the crest of my skull, which is hairless and smooth. This is a shock, as I expected hair though I do not know why. This lack of active recall is frustrating; I feel the faintest ghost of a memory which slips away the instant I attempt to grasp it.

My hands hesitantly continue their exploration, and I receive an even greater shock. The back of my head has holes in it! I feel seven individual small holes ringed in metal... jacks, my mind tells me. Some kind of data port... wait, how do I know that? What the hell am I? The back of my neck is smooth, the access jacks are in the base of my skull and I can feel hard tracery around them beneath my skin, like branching metal veins which extend into and over my skull.

Suddenly I stop... something has changed. A faint sound off to my right, like the movement of cloth against skin. It was so quiet I almost missed it. I listen intently, my breath catching in my throat. I don't dare speak. It is now that I realize the sounds from the medical monitor have ceased, and wherever I am seems unnaturally quiet.

What should I do?