Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: I think I'll (figuratively!) shoot myself in the foot...  (Read 7913 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
I think I'll (figuratively!) shoot myself in the foot...
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:40:34 am »

I asked ThreeToe if this was ok, he said it was ok, and I've been putting it off forever, thinking I'd find a good time.  I guess now is a good time as any o_O  I'm sorry for the utter jerk I've been since... well probably since my first post in the upper forums.  Dunno if I'm just hard-wired to be like this.  In real life, nearly everyone I know says I'm one of the nicest people they know, yet I became the jerk here.  Sorry about that, it's a mystery to me.  I've been in lurking mode for a while to think about things, and I'm not sure if I can promise I'll be a nice guy like I should, but at least I can be more cautious about what I say.

Now here's where I'll probably incur the wrath of B12 again, hopefully I'll survive o_O  I'm gay.  NOT kidding.  Yes, one of the crazy religious conservative jerks here is one of those cliche'd "anti-gay but actually gay" folks.  No, this isn't a new development, been gay since... 2002?  8th grade, I remember the exact moment when I felt myself become gay, without warning, without any input on my part, absolutely no choice.  Why am I bringing this up?  I've been coming out to many of my friends recently, and I figure you guys might as well be next.  I know something like this doesn't matter to a lot of you, that's ok.  It matters to me, so I'll worry about it for ya.  I want to honestly discuss politics and religion here again, but I can't do it unless I come out of the closet.  Heck, I'm not sure what I'd argue for or against, I'm even questioning if I want to believe in God anymore.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: I think I'll (figuratively!) shoot myself in the foot...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:30 am »

Well I'm ok with it.
Feel good to get that off your chest?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:49:20 am »

More chicks for me I always say.

EDIT: come to think of it, how many gay/les people do we have here? I know one other but IDK if he/she has officially come out of the closet here so I won't say.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:53:48 am by Heliman »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:54:48 am »

I'm pretty certain that Ochita is gay, and Vector is bi. Although that is just going from memory, so I'm might be dead wrong, or giving out information I shouldn't be.
Also, Merchant is les, both of them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:55:51 am »

This is a good step to take. Continue coming out to people untill you've done it to everyone you know. That's including those who you already know will dissaprove, unless you think they'll try to harm you for it. There's nothing worse than to live in fear, or to live hiding somthing. Besides, actually knowing someone who's gay might very well shatter their negative views on the matter.

I'm even questioning if I want to believe in God anymore.
I question why anyone who's gay would want to believe in God at all. Let's not kid ourselves here, we all know that most people who hate gay people do so for religious reasons. Even if everyone in the religion doesn't think like that, that's the truth of the matter. It just seems masochistic to me for gay people to continue being part of these religions, given that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:00:15 am »

Now here's where I'll probably incur the wrath of B12 again, hopefully I'll survive
No offense -in fact coming out of the closet should be a pretty big deal to you- but I think you're overestimating the difference this makes to us, internet people.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 03:04:44 am »

I question why anyone who's gay would want to believe in God at all. Let's not kid ourselves here, we all know that most people who hate gay people do so for religious reasons. Even if everyone in the religion doesn't think like that, that's the truth of the matter. It just seems masochistic to me for gay people to continue being part of these religions, given that.
Now I don't agree with this very much. Belief in God does not equate to being apart of an organization that hates you, especially since a belief in god doesn't need to be shackled to a popular religious organization in order to be considered faith.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 03:09:24 am »

This is teh internettz, we've seen everything and more.
That said, thumbs up for working up to coming out.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 03:13:04 am »

Actually come to think of it I'm not to in tune with the whole gay-rights threads that have been flying around recently, are there ANY people here who would be up in arms about this stuff?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:16:50 am »

Now I don't agree with this very much. Belief in God does not equate to being apart of an organization that hates you, especially since a belief in god doesn't need to be shackled to a popular religious organization in order to be considered faith.
No, it doesn't. But that's my opinion on the matter, and I won't just throw away knowing about centuries of oppression because there are pro-gay churches now. The anti-gay ones have been around for far longer, and they are what the pro-gay ones broke off of, not the other way around. That's for the abrahamic religions, anyway, which are more likely than not the God Euld was reffering to.

Actually come to think of it I'm not to in tune with the whole gay-rights threads that have been flying around recently, are there ANY people here who would be up in arms about this stuff?
Nikov wouldn't, judging by an old quote of his about not being concerned about gay people. If he, our Most Conservative Forumite wouldn't, I have my doubts about anyone else holding such a belief.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 03:36:01 am »

No, it doesn't. But that's my opinion on the matter, and I won't just throw away knowing about centuries of oppression because there are pro-gay churches now. The anti-gay ones have been around for far longer, and they are what the pro-gay ones broke off of, not the other way around. That's for the abrahamic religions, anyway, which are more likely than not the God Euld was reffering to.
Ah, but there's the crux of the argument, because this seems to just be a difference in perspectives: is a religion made by God, or the people? If there is a person with faith in God who believes that going gay is okay, then the fact that other people of his same religion disagree with him shouldn't be an issue. I'm no heavily religious man, but that's my view on the matter.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:39:59 am by Heliman »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 03:40:26 am »

Religion isn't a necessary condition for homophobia, either, and I doubt it's even really at the core of it for a lot of people. I think it has more to do with homosexuality subverting traditional gender roles. If you can't assume "boys like girls, and girls like boys", but have done so for a long time, having to admit the possibility that some people swing the other way... shakes things up.

Religion is often used as a justification or an inspiration for things, but there are almost always social reasons beyond "this religious organization/book told me so".

Personally, I wish we lived in a world where we didn't feel such pressure to affix labels to ourselves, and where "coming out" wasn't even necessary. Oh well.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 03:40:48 am »

Ah, but there's the crux of the argument, because this seems to just be a difference in perspectives: is a religion made by God, or the people? A person with faith in God would believe that going gay is okay, then the fact that other people of his same religion disagree with him shouldn't be an issue.
There have been several thousand religions founded and more often than not destroyed over the course of human history (and that's just the ones we know of), so any God would have had to be quite busy indeed. There are also plenty of gay people who retain their faith and end up viewing themselveds as evil and horrible people for being gay. You know how there are gay people, especially teenagers, who kill themselves over their being gay? That's why.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 03:45:04 am »

If you think we're upset with you for being an arch-conservative heretic, why would you think we'd be upset with you for being gay?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 03:50:30 am »

Ah, but there's the crux of the argument, because this seems to just be a difference in perspectives: is a religion made by God, or the people? A person with faith in God would believe that going gay is okay, then the fact that other people of his same religion disagree with him shouldn't be an issue.
There have been several thousand religions founded and more often than not destroyed over the course of human history (and that's just the ones we know of), so any God would have had to be quite busy indeed. There are also plenty of gay people who retain their faith and end up viewing themselveds as evil and horrible people for being gay. You know how there are gay people, especially teenagers, who kill themselves over their being gay? That's why.
I... don't see how that contradicts my argument?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7