Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: I think I'll (figuratively!) shoot myself in the foot...  (Read 7887 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: I think I'll (figuratively!) shoot myself in the foot...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 03:50:47 am »

If you think we're upset with you for being an arch-conservative heretic, why would you think we'd be upset with you for being gay?
I think he was worried that we would take harshly to the idea of somebody going about their daily 'gay bashing', while being homosexual themselves. It's the kind of thing Joseph McCarthy would do.

I've known people who were gay, but acted homophobic as they were over compensating to try and stay in the closet. You would be surprised how often the homophobic guy turns out to be gay, the guy who makes suicide jokes is depressed, and that cute girl who makes jokes about transsexuals... Well yea.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:29 am »

Ah, but there's the crux of the argument, because this seems to just be a difference in perspectives: is a religion made by God, or the people? A person with faith in God would believe that going gay is okay, then the fact that other people of his same religion disagree with him shouldn't be an issue.
There have been several thousand religions founded and more often than not destroyed over the course of human history (and that's just the ones we know of), so any God would have had to be quite busy indeed. There are also plenty of gay people who retain their faith and end up viewing themselveds as evil and horrible people for being gay. You know how there are gay people, especially teenagers, who kill themselves over their being gay? That's why.
I... don't see how that contradicts my argument?
A person with faith in God would believe that going gay is okay, then the fact that other people of his same religion disagree with him shouldn't be an issue.
Except it is an issue, many gay people with faith don't believe it's okay, and it costs some of them their lives.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 04:00:03 am »

Oh damn I thought you quoted my revised post. I already edited that back to what it should have said, To reiterate, I meant:
If there is a person with faith in God who believes that going gay is okay, then the fact that other people of his same religion disagree with him shouldn't be an issue.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 05:52:25 am »

Well welcome, and, big news, nothing has changed from our perspective.
Don't bash yourself over the head for anything, though, the passage condemning homosexuality are mostly discarded and the old testament was NEVER intended to be taken literally. Neither is the new testament by the way.

It's an annoying trend in America and in Afghanistan where people who have little to none religious education decided that their respective holy book was to be taken literally when both religion has been interpretative since the dawn of time (mostly because of the support is untrustworthy in both cases). So if you can interpret the bible as to not condemn you (and the new testament entitle you to do so), you can keep your god (who is still imaginary from my perspective but whatever float your boat).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 09:39:37 am »

Congrats!  I can't wait till the day when its not considered a big deal to declare yourself gay.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 09:50:00 am »

Well, this is probably one of the least likely places on the internet to see anti-gay sentiments. I've seen exactly one so far, I won't tell from who. Bravo!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 12:26:32 pm »

*Claps*

Its always hard declaring that you're gay, god knows the feeling, the abstract terror in it all.. But I'm glad for you, pretty much everyone I know now knows that I'm gay, and they're okay with it.

Oh, you'll get the occasional Homophobe, but seriously,  they're nothing to worry about.

(Also google chrome wants to change homophobe into homophone....  :o)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 12:36:26 pm »

Congratulations. Sometimes, to be honest with yourself you have to be honest with others first. Its a point of personal growth.

This forum has a lot of alternative type people. I don't think anyone here is going to give you any problems, and if they do? Screw it, its just the internet.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 01:07:46 pm »

I don't believe you'll have to worry about harrassment here, this is one of the most respectable online communities I've had the pleasure to be part of. I would like to take a moment to commend you for your bravery in coming out and reconsidering your feelings for religion. Its no doubt a hard thing to do.
My personality profile.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 01:34:00 pm »

Can't say I think you need to move away from a belief in God, but it depends on the God you feel exists, and would have created you as you are. More importantly, I will say that however much it hurts to question whether you ought or ought not believe, the fact that you've thought about it and come to a conclusion that's yours will be more important than the actual conclusion you come to (whether it agrees with my own conclusions or not). Not going to hold earlier conversations against you; it's hard enough to work up the courage to do this without being forced to confront your past posts, which I am sure is something you're dealing with right now anyway, without the forum's intervention. In short, +1 to support offered.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 01:49:18 pm »

I'm not mad at you, and I don't think the rest of Bay12 is bringing any wrath either. Great job, courage man!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:29 pm »

I have a couch pushed against the closet in "my room."  Nobody will be leaving there anytime soon.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 02:23:00 pm »

I have a couch pushed against the closet in "my room."  Nobody will be leaving there anytime soon.
Are you certain you just didn't?

(Also google chrome wants to change homophobe into homophone....  :o )
See, even Chrome thinks homophobes are wrong.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:24:51 pm by Virex »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 03:36:28 pm »

I figure it's your business, and hopefully knowing this about yourself will make you feel better and, you know, stop bashing yourself =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »

Well, I don't really care.

That being said, I really don't care about things like this. If you're gay, you're gay. So what? It doesn't hurt anyone else.

Also, congrats on being self-confident. that's the more important thing here.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7