Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Don't Ask Don't Tell Delayed by Gates  (Read 7205 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell Delayed by Gates
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2011, 02:16:17 am »

And going by your metaphor, it isn't your carpet. You're talking about the general public.

In any case, on the subject of professionalism in the millitary, I think it would be less harmful to not bother trying to stop the formation of relationships between soliders, romantic in nature or not. Obviously, this presents the potential problem of said soliders caring about those they've become connected to more than their job, but I think the alternative is far worse: Trying to make people live in what is perhaps the most stressful potential environment for an extended period of time without allowing emotional attachment. That's counterproductive in the extreme, as it is practically inviting psychologcial damage to take place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2011, 03:16:12 am »

And going by your metaphor, it isn't your carpet. You're talking about the general public.

In any case, on the subject of professionalism in the millitary, I think it would be less harmful to not bother trying to stop the formation of relationships between soliders, romantic in nature or not. Obviously, this presents the potential problem of said soliders caring about those they've become connected to more than their job, but I think the alternative is far worse: Trying to make people live in what is perhaps the most stressful potential environment for an extended period of time without allowing emotional attachment. That's counterproductive in the extreme, as it is practically inviting psychologcial damage to take place.

You are asking for tragedy when you get get distracted and concerned about relationships when your own survival, your teammate's survival and accomplishment of the mission should be the only concerns you have. Being emotionally attached to people who may very well be killed is a bad idea too. You want psychological damage? Make lots of friends and lovers in the military during a deployment.

There is room and a place for personal freedoms and personal relationships, but it hardly needs to be the military's business and there really needs to be a clear distinction between a soldier's personal matters and his profession. these days you are practically required to drag your spouse to fucking military meetings, briefings, counseling sessions, your quarters are visited and inspected on random, leaders are encouraged to learn about soldier's backgrounds and hobbys and everything else. I think that part of military culture needs to stop. Personally, I don't think the military should pay married soldiers that extra money they get. Paying incentives for marriage is ridiculous, especially all the problems military spouses create for the chain of command and the soldier.

Anyways, thats getting off topic though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 03:56:56 am »

Your own personal phobias and insecurities shouldn't affect how other people act in public. Sorry.

Not phobic, not insecure, I just think it's tacky and inappropriate. Like pissing on a sidewalk or spitting indoors. I'd not afraid of spit or piss, I just don't like it on my carpet, bro.

First off, it's not your carpet.
Secondly, there are good reasons to not piss on a sidewalk or spit on everything.

Third, what makes you think it's inappropriate? I mean, I agree you have to draw the line somewhere, but it seems like you draw it at any and all signs of affection even when they're very obviously warranted, like a soldier seeing a loved one upon return or departure, which you mentioned yourself. I have to wonder why you're so uptight.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 04:02:38 am »

You are asking for tragedy when you get get distracted and concerned about relationships when your own survival, your teammate's survival and accomplishment of the mission should be the only concerns you have. Being emotionally attached to people who may very well be killed is a bad idea too. You want psychological damage? Make lots of friends and lovers in the military during a deployment.
Call me crazy, but I'd have to judge that you are at a higher risk of psycholohical damage from being disconnected from humanity for a couple of years, a time period in which you may or may not be expected to kill people, than from the potential of someone close to you dying. Well-adjusted people can handle death. It's done all the time, and anyone who lives a long enough life will have to face the death of someone they care about sooner or later. Death is normal.

What isn't normal is being disconnected. Anyone will go insane if they are cut off from meaningful human contact for long enough, and that applies to everyone, not just the millitary. We are a species that has an undeniable psychological reliance on social relationships, and if you want to promote mental health among any group of people, then you should be promoting that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:04:55 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2011, 04:14:00 am »

Homosexuality is the same as any other sexual deviant, no matter if its leather shoes, children, animals, bondage, whatever. It is sexual deviancy, and while chasing after homosexuals and foot fetishes in witch hunts to persecute them is a hilarious waste of money of time, its a sign of other things to come. A person who decides that his own particular sexual deviancy as his entire identify and parades it around to let everyone know how much they love it? It doesn't strike me as "Oh, well he fucks goats but he could be a great helicopter pilot" No, I think "this idiot can't keep his personal business to himself, if he can't keep is personal life in check, what the fuck good is he anywhere else?"
If people still think like you, then homosexual still need to fight for their right as normal human being, not weirdo deviants.

Don't ask don't tell is "don't let anyone know that you're homosexual and you can stay" which put them bellow hetero's.
Now given you other post you seems to have issues because seriously "Whenever I see some soldier kissing his wife at the PX or whatever I want to start throwing ass-chewings/right hooks" don't strike me a a normal behavior.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2011, 04:19:00 am »

Wait, what the hell? Montague called homosexuality "deviant" and compared it to fetishistic behavior?

Montague: Homosexuality is, objectively speaking, is no more strange or fetishistic than heterosexuality. Being into guys instead of girls, hypothetically speaking, would say nothing about me as a person except for which gender I happen to prefer. This is not the same as having a fetish, being into something "deviant", or whatever other comparisons you're making, at least no more than being heterosexual does. The only common factor is that some people are uncomfortable with homosexuality, but the problem there lies with those people, not with homosexuality itself; people also used to be uncomfortable with women owning property, and interracial marriage.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2011, 04:20:54 am »

Wait, what the hell? Montague called homosexuality "deviant" and compared it to fetishistic behavior?

I thought you were taking that remarkably well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2011, 06:17:36 am »

Homosexuality is the same as any other sexual deviant, no matter if its leather shoes, children, animals, bondage, whatever. It is sexual deviancy, and while chasing after homosexuals and foot fetishes in witch hunts to persecute them is a hilarious waste of money of time, its a sign of other things to come. A person who decides that his own particular sexual deviancy as his entire identify and parades it around to let everyone know how much they love it? It doesn't strike me as "Oh, well he fucks goats but he could be a great helicopter pilot" No, I think "this idiot can't keep his personal business to himself, if he can't keep is personal life in check, what the fuck good is he anywhere else?"
If people still think like you, then homosexual still need to fight for their right as normal human being, not weirdo deviants.

Don't ask don't tell is "don't let anyone know that you're homosexual and you can stay" which put them bellow hetero's.
Now given you other post you seems to have issues because seriously "Whenever I see some soldier kissing his wife at the PX or whatever I want to start throwing ass-chewings/right hooks" don't strike me a a normal behavior.

I was exaggerating for effect. I just think it looks unprofessional and its against the regulations anyways.

Also I think its funny how lots of homosexuals seemingly try their hardest to not look remotely normal in their gay pride parades and come across as exactly as weirdo deviants. I'm not sure some of them care to seen as normal, as its not just a sexual preference for them, they revolve their entire identity around it. Nobody creates an identity based on being straight. People create subcultures based on deviancy from the norm, "deviant" isn't an insult its just what it is.  I don't have a problem with homosexuals or foot fetishes or anything else like that. I just ask that they keep that to themselves and approach me like a normal person, without any assertions or pretensions of subcultures or sexuality, especially not in the work place.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 06:29:14 am »

My entire identity isn't defined by my being bisexual. Just my attraction to both sexes, that's what's being defined. If you met me in the street you wouldn't know I was bisexual. Just so you know that your sweeping statements aren't actually accurate.

Also, just so you know, gay pride parades where people act blatantly different are places where people act blatantly different for a reason. Because people, people like you, see them as deviants if they reveal themselves to be part of the LGBT community, and treat them as such. That's bullshit, that's absurd, that's psychologically harmful and that's what makes people flaunt their sexuality in gay pride parades (for the most part). To show people like you that they are different from you, in the most obvious way possible and that they don't see that as a bad thing and know you've no genuine excuses for doing so. Do you honestly think most homosexuals walk around without a shirt, or in underpants, or covered in glitter? They're doing that to say "yes, we are different to you. No, that does not give you the right to belittle us. Look at this and deal with it." You do not have the moral high ground here. You cannot try and force someone who is homosexual to conform and pretend they're not, just because you think it's inappropriate without any real excuse for doing so. What you need to do is understand that homosexuals expressing their homosexuality is not a threat to you, is not going to destroy the military and you need to treat people as people, not as homosexuals or straight men, and you cannot just claim that you will if only they agree to act straight around you, because that's a ridiculous request.

The important thing to remember is the LGBT community is a culture specifically because it's not accepted as mainstream. Specifically because people like you force it to be so. In Melbourne, the designated 'gay neighborhood' in town is actually starting to shrink and dwindle, specifically because people are more accepting and tolerant of LGBT's. If there wasn't such obscene prejudice towards it, prejudice that you yourself are perpetuating, people wouldn't need to build such an identity around being homosexual.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:31:16 am by Jackrabbit »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 06:57:02 am »

He edited out a few of his remarks, but I'm still giving Montague a week for those and what remains.  There has been a rash of anti-LGBT, racist and sexist crap on the board lately, and I'm just going to hand out mutes and bans until there isn't.  People need to be respectful of one another.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]