Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Don't Ask Don't Tell Delayed by Gates  (Read 7225 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell Delayed by Gates
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:25 pm »

It doesn't make sense to compare the US to a bunch of unicameral parlimentary systems in terms of speed of passing social legislation pertaining to a non militant minority.  If the rest of the anglophone had a system where the most rural 25% of the country can veto any legislation, they wouldn't be any farther along then we are.  If the US had a unicameral parlimentary system then the votes would have been there to allow gays openly serving in the military back in '93 which I believe would have put us at the front of the movement.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »

I'm glad the church I go to sometimes nowadays hardly puts any stock in a fair portion of leviticus. We have members across the LGBT spectrum.

Obviously none of this matters at all for the Unitarians whose "church" (?) I now go to most of the time.

Well, there you go.

My point is, even if you are not a UU or anything, "abomination" applied to homosexuality is of dubious weight when it compares to other abominable things Christians regularly partake in.

I'm no biblical scholar, but asking about shrimp and Leviticus in general, Christians say that Jesus created something like a "revised contract" that supersedes the old one Jews abide by and others that know what they are talking about refer to the New Testament generally bring up in regards to homosexuality...

"We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me." -1 Timothy 1 1:9-11 (TNIV)

Well, so there is that. Not really tolerant either, less tolerant, even.

Oh well.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 01:13:40 am »

Wait, MetalSlimeHunt... are you saying that the fact that 36% of adults think that gay relations should be illegal, even if they're in private, is evidence of progressive attitudes towards homosexuals?

Sounds about right to me.

It sure doesn't. Over a third of the country thinking your sexual orientation is an abomination enough to be made illegal is not indicative of a "progressive" attitude. The US is not progressive at all by Western standards when it comes to homosexual rights. That's just a fact. Our policy and our social attitudes are lagging behind Western Europe, Canada, and Australia, to name a few. Yes, they're better than a lot of other places. That does not make us "progressive".

No, we're not even near the level of "progressive" as the rest of the West. That's not what I was saying at all, and I'm pretty sure MSH wasn't either. I'm jealous of Canada particularly, but also those other places. However, we are more "progressive" in terms of approval of homosexuality than we used to be.

"Over a third of the country thinking your sexual orientation is an abomination" is still god-awful, but I wasn't pointing out that it wasn't. I was pointing out that compared to where we were even a decade ago, it's progress.

edit: Though if it gets WORSE again, which surely it won't, hopefully... then more incentive for me to move to Canada.

We seem to be on the same page, then. I just really, really, really want to drive home the point that we still have to consider it a problem in order for it to continue to get solved.

"We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me." -1 Timothy 1 1:9-11 (TNIV)

Question: What does that passage say in the original language (presumably Greek)? Is that a literal translation, or not? I'm looking up different English translations and they all say wildly different things, from "those practicing homosexuality" to "sodomites" to "those who defile themselves with mankind".

The original word is "arsenokoitai". The meaning of this is ambiguous. Such is the problem when so much of people's worldviews depend on modern (or often rather old) translations of a single word from a completely different cultural and sociopolitical context. It's very hard to tell what was even meant, so over the centuries, meanings get shoehorned in and the original word gets pigeonholed into whatever is convenient. See also "fornication".

The classification of sexual behavior in ancient Greece/Egypt/Rome/Israel was very, very different from what it was today. Much of that context isn't something most people are aware of, and they just fill in the gaps using modern classifications, gender roles, and sexual orientations. In fact, some of the context is not fully understood by anyone, because it's been centuries or millenia. It would be like taking modern social commentary from the US and expecting 14th-century Russians to interpret it. They wouldn't draw appropriate conclusions to apply to their own lives because the very concepts and context expressed would be alien to them. Same situation applies here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:17:09 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 11:19:09 am »

It doesn't make sense to compare the US to a bunch of unicameral parlimentary systems in terms of speed of passing social legislation pertaining to a non militant minority.  If the rest of the anglophone had a system where the most rural 25% of the country can veto any legislation, they wouldn't be any farther along then we are.  If the US had a unicameral parlimentary system then the votes would have been there to allow gays openly serving in the military back in '93 which I believe would have put us at the front of the movement.
We were talking about an opinion poll.  A rural 25% of the country can't veto that.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 01:47:35 pm »

More important, I think, than the structure of federal government in the US, are two other issues:
  • The US is vast and diverse enough that regional differences account for a lot in a way that you won't get in most countries, making it easier for bizarre regional trends to influence progress.
  • The fact that this is even treated at the state level and not the federal level in the first place. This is an issue of civil rights that really, really shouldn't be left up to the states.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 06:52:42 pm »

The fact that this is even treated at the state level and not the federal level in the first place. This is an issue of civil rights that really, really shouldn't be left up to the states.
That said, for a group that it shouldn't be left up to, the states are doing fairly well. You've got legalization of same sex marriage popping up all over the country's liberal and moderate regions. Assuming that the fed doesn't get involved, it won't be long untill the conservative regions join them too.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 12:16:28 am »

The fact that this is even treated at the state level and not the federal level in the first place. This is an issue of civil rights that really, really shouldn't be left up to the states.
That said, for a group that it shouldn't be left up to, the states are doing fairly well. You've got legalization of same sex marriage popping up all over the country's liberal and moderate regions. Assuming that the fed doesn't get involved, it won't be long untill the conservative regions join them too.

Don't you remember a few years ago when Prop 8 got passed by the public in California, of all places?

We also have states that are actively passing legislation to specifically ban gay marriage; that ain't progress. Bear also in mind that polls asking "do you support gay marriage, civil unions for gay couples, or neither?" tend to have much different results than simply "do you support gay marriage or not?" questions. Some of the "supporters" (and a few of the opponents, but not as many) still would rather have "civil unions".

I agree that things are getting better in the long term, but in some regions there's been a lot of reactionary conservative trending in the short-term, and I don't see those places caving easily.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 12:33:36 am »

Don't you remember a few years ago when Prop 8 got passed by the public in California, of all places?
It just barely passed. And was overturned last year.

What can I say, I find the situation very optimistic.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2011, 12:50:38 am »

It just barely passed. And was overturned last year.

What can I say, I find the situation very optimistic.
It also had a massive ad campaign to get it passed from what I hear. A quick google shows $73 million.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2011, 01:25:25 am »

"Barely passed" is still bad enough in a state that is hardly a bastion of backwards social conservative philosophy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 02:02:45 am »

I'm not sure about that. The Governator, for all his memetic value, is a social conservative, and from what I've heard certain parts of Caifornia are very, very conservative indeed. That's to be expected when you have a state as large as California.
No Gods, No Masters.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 02:23:32 am »

The LGBT crowd blames the black religious demographic that came out to vote for Obama for the prop 8 thing.

as far as that goes, I don't think anybody should get married. Not the legal bundle of entanglements the government defines it as, anyways. I'm all for prop 8, or anything else that erodes at the institution of marriage. People should pay their own damn individual taxes. I think they should abolish it, put "marriage" as a ceremonial or religious concept with no legal significance. If two or more people want to involve themselves in the legal and financial entanglements marriage delivers as a package deal right now, they should go to a lawyer and the courts and have it sorted out how they like it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 02:40:21 am »

The LGBT crowd blames the black religious demographic that came out to vote for Obama for the prop 8 thing.

as far as that goes, I don't think anybody should get married. Not the legal bundle of entanglements the government defines it as, anyways. I'm all for prop 8, or anything else that erodes at the institution of marriage. People should pay their own damn individual taxes. I think they should abolish it, put "marriage" as a ceremonial or religious concept with no legal significance. If two or more people want to involve themselves in the legal and financial entanglements marriage delivers as a package deal right now, they should go to a lawyer and the courts and have it sorted out how they like it.

Marriage is about a lot more than paying taxes. Maybe you ought to understand that before supporting bigoted legislation just because it furthers some eventual goal you have for ill-defined reasons. Or maybe you should ask some actual gay couples what they're missing out on.

For that matter, filing taxes jointly makes sense, as a married couple acts essentially as a single entity economically.

I'm not sure about that. The Governator, for all his memetic value, is a social conservative, and from what I've heard certain parts of Caifornia are very, very conservative indeed. That's to be expected when you have a state as large as California.

You may be right, but if I see a state like Louisiana or Mississippi start popularly supporting gay marriage within the next few years, I'll eat my hat. Granted, I'd be happy to do so.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2011, 02:41:50 am »

Well I see where you are coming from being against marriage, I fail to see how allowing two same-sex people to marry "errodes at the institution of marriage". Wouldn't that just allow more people who wish to marry to have equal rights? Hardly erroding anything, in my point of view.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011, 02:49:10 am »

Well I see where you are coming from being against marriage, I fail to see how allowing two same-sex people to marry "errodes at the institution of marriage". Wouldn't that just allow more people who wish to marry to have equal rights? Hardly erroding anything, in my point of view.

Because if same-sex couples can get married too, then you have an even more entrenched policy with even more opportunists benefiting from the legal status who will fight against abolishment. Then again, if same sex couples are allowed to marry, then the reactionaries will probably call for the abolishment of government-endorsed marriage all together, if the the alternative was soiling the word with having gays marry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6