Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Uh...did everything just explode?  (Read 4048 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uh...did everything just explode?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:35 pm »

Rock tends to release clouds of boiling magma during cave ins. This is presumably caused by the huge transfer of kinetic energy generating enough heat to vapourize the rock to some degree. In my experience it's mostly harmless, acting the same as normal cave in dust.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Durandal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:55 pm »

Actually, any ground or rock just shows up as 'boiling' when it caves in and turns to dust... That confused me too, when I first tested my diplomat-launcher! :P

Was waiting when something like that would show up haha. I've lurked here for awhile while playing this wondrous game. But this was my first experience that made me go "Wat" so I figured I might as well post something about it  :P
Small dragons are cute and adorable.  It's the millennium old armor-plated fireballs that terrorize nations.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 03:38:07 am »

It's the rapture! IT'S HAPPENING!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 04:00:30 am »

Urist McCamping was right! The world really is ending on the 25th obsidian!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 04:09:56 am »

Urist McCamping was right! The world really is ending on the 25th obsidian!
Why did the captain of the guard deliver a beating to Urist McCamping for not making those pig iron items?!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 04:37:46 am »

If there were a magma pipe just below the camp, would that cause enough heat to... cause outlawsplosion?

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 05:21:29 pm »

I think the fire and magma could also be a displacement thing. I remember a thread a while back where someone dropped a giant pillar of rock into the magma sea, and the pillar displaced an equal volume of magma up to where it was.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 08:56:21 pm »

Exactly. And that is called a magma piston, used to power magma forges nearer the surface than the magma sea without a pump stack, although I find such a thing extremely inefficient.

Magma being launched into the air in adventure mode occurs occasionally when these weird terrain-deformed worlds cause cave-ins and magma is present underneath. The cave-in itself really does look and act like a very slow explosion.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 10:41:41 pm »

Oh, how I want to see one. I've never personally had to use a magma piston, generally embark with a volcano, for easy access to !!FUN!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 10:48:57 pm »

But now that I think about it... the OP survive. He can fly. Which means that, since the earth collapsed, he could have (or one of us could) get a good look at the deformed world!

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 01:44:06 pm »

Grabbed the map and made a fort and it seem the magma sea is flowing in to HFS
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 01:59:44 pm »

I fast-travel to the area next to the camp and head on in. The game seemingly locks up for around three minutes. Then a BLEEDING status greets me, and the area is filled with smoke. After the game chugs for a few moments, I get announcements telling me how basically I was caught in boiling magma and all the ground !!BURST!! and !!BOILED!!.  ???

I traveled to another area, and...yeah. Same deal.

Maybe you stepped on the wrong tile. Or, you set off a crude, early landmine of some sort.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »

This is a very dwarfy thread title right here.

And yeah, it's the epic bug that once got referred to as 'Armok's stomach', when stuff caves in randomly and massively and sometimes magma happens as well. If you can fly, fly around and enjoy the carnage below.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 01:26:01 am »

Ah, yes, I had this recently.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13790475/HFS.png

professorhelios

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »

Well, there is definitely something fun going on here as it makes my DF instance go kablooey when things go kablooey in game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3