Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Good fighting games?  (Read 2511 times)

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
Good fighting games?
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:28:45 pm »

Recently I played type wild, and i like the way the sprites are made, and I liked a bit the gameplay too,do you happen to know any good fighting game like this one (doesn't need to be the same theme)

Here is type wild for who doesn't knows

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Good fighting games?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »

Toribash?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 03:30:41 pm »

Toribash?
Toribash is great. So are the arcade Mortal Kombat games.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:31:43 pm »

There is always Mugen

Though you have to really carefully select the characters you want in it (I need a good Mugen site... unfortunate many of my old favorites arn't available anymore... Like Mugena and Setsuna by a specific creator)

Heck those pokemon guys may even have already been sprite ripped for Mugen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:33:44 pm »

I pine for my PSX simply because of Bushido Blade. Damn I miss that game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 03:37:17 pm »

Toribash is great, indeed, but i'm looking for arcade ones, i might try some old mortal kombat games!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:39:02 pm »

There is always Mugen

http://www.justnopoint.com/lbends/

THE BEST character creator. I know that there are a few characters based on the Type Wild sprites, but I don't think they're accurate (I have a gardevoir right here that I keep around just to laugh at its parry mechanics).

There's also always emulation. I play KoF every day (98 and 2000). Oh, and this is decently made; certainly imperfect, but everything is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:45:40 pm »

There is a better character creator out there... He just stopped a long time ago.

Every single character he made was like magic,... and he programmed the AI too. A little too well in some cases.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:52:01 pm »

You probably either mean Phantom.of.the.Server or Warusaki3 (I used to play with POTS on GGPO. Shame he left MUGEN, great guy). Both excellent creators in a mechanical sense, certainly, but nothing on The_None in terms of being original.

Edit: Actually, scratch that last remark, I forgot about Rare Akuma. Hah.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:53:37 pm by 3 »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »

If you're not just looking for 2d fighters, Bushido Blade is awesome like Nenjin said.  The Dragonball Z games for PS2 are a lot of fun if you're okay with playing a Dragonball Z game.

Sort of a fighting game: I've been playing Fight Night Round 3 for the PS2 and it's fun, but also pretty easy even on hard mode.  The way training and stat items work you can pretty quickly get a guy who runs circles around other players and still hits like a freight train.  As cool as it is pummel a guy half to death like Ivan Drago it's not much of a challenge.
Shoes...

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 03:54:51 pm »

I'm not exactly the biggest fighting game aficionado around, but fighting games I've had fun with include:
Street Fighter 3
Dead or Alive 4
SoulCalibur 2
Super Smash Bros. series

Edit: I'll also throw in, though they're not 2d 1v1 fighters, Yakuza 2 and Streets of Rage.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:56:41 pm by Flying Carcass »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »

If you're not just looking for 2d fighters, Bushido Blade is awesome like Nenjin said.  The Dragonball Z games for PS2 are a lot of fun if you're okay with playing a Dragonball Z game.

I'll second the PS2 DBZ games. You MUST like DBZ or it's probably not going to be to your taste. But they're the best emulations of DBZ-style combat made so far. Very fast, lots of launching people around and lots of counters/dodges that happen in split seconds. Some of the best vs moments I've had have come from Budokai Tenkaichi. When you're almost dead, your friend tries to annihilate you with a beam attack at close range, and you teleport dodge then feed him a power attack of your own to the face and kill him.....nothing better. Or interrupting their rush and completely catching them off guard, and then thrashing the fuck out of them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:00:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 04:06:47 pm »

About the DBZ on PS2, the games are awesome, Street fighter 3 I should try, Dead or alive 4 or smash bros i don't have console for them, and eventually i should try bushido blade too! Thanks!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 04:14:51 pm »

I always think Lemmingball Z when I think DBZ games, these days. Been a bloody long time since I've played it, though. Apparently it's still being developed, or something. Last time I fired it up was probably something like '07.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 04:16:18 pm »

If you're looking to give SF3 a spin, since it seems you've got a PS2 I'd recommend the Street Fighter anniversary collection which has both Street Fighter 3 and 2.
Pages: [1] 2 3