Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Friends' reactions to Dwarf Fortress  (Read 8239 times)

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
Re: Friends' reactions to Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 03:25:08 pm »

... and extremely steep learning curse ...

Typo, I'm sure, but so very, very apropos...

I've had a couple of friends try it.  Most just enjoy reading the stories.  None of them really got into it.  Hell, I bounce back and forth between playing (badly) and doing something less fail-enhanced...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 04:03:58 pm »

Most peoples reaction to my playing of it can be summarized as "lolwut", followed by a complete inability to comprehend why it can possibly be entertaining, though i did meet one guy in school who had heard of it. My brother did give it an honest shot (after i showed him the Lazy Newb Pack), and he did get a fort up and running (with extensive guidance), though i think his interest has since waned. Else he just forgot about it, which wouldn't surprise me one bit. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 06:23:58 pm »

The usual response is something along the lines of "moldy alphabet soup".
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 04:22:46 am »

No one understood. One flatmate once saw the announcement "X has cancelled X - Interupted by zombie fox" at the bottom of the screen, then she started shaking my laptop and shouting "Oh no Jim! Zombie fox! Zombie fox!". Another favorite was to shake my laptop and shout "Earthquaaaaake!".

I don't think any friends have taken it seriously for a minute, although my brother will listen and show some mild interest in the actual goings-on in my fort if I explain it to him, since he likes things like dungeon keeper and minecraft. He can't understand for the life of him why I don't use graphical tilesets though.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 04:30:33 am »

My friends really enjoy the stories I tell about it, well except one. He thinks since it has ASCII graphics, it is instantly bad. All of my other friends say its boring, but I always try to get them to play it.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 05:00:29 am »

I got my nephew to play Adventure mode.
And another friend to play Dwarf mode.  Took him 2 days to get better than I, after months, in the old 40d days.

My thoughts were along the lines of, 'YOU ARE A GENIUS'.
He had to use graphical upgrade of some sort, though.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 05:17:30 am »

My roommate watched me play and he said it reminded him of the matrix. There were just random signs flying through the screen to him, but apparently I somehow understood it.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 10:14:41 am »

I've showed several friends the combat by going out into the woods with an adventurer and pummeling a rabbit or a deer to death. They laugh at the combat (in a good way) and like the idea of the game, but never are able to actually play it due to the lack of a manual.

One friend I got interested in it by just showing him around legends mode, and he got pretty into it. I was pretty surprised cause I think legends mode is one of the weakest aspects of the game.

Still pretty cool, but now I should encourage them to play a bit more, maybe get them over the learning curve so they can start making megaforts and stuff. Summer ho!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2011, 01:18:17 am »

I tried to get friends and family to give it a chance, but the Wii-owning farmville-playing, WoW-addicted elves simply have too different priorities. Especially after they took up worshipping Apple and actively look down on everything computery that requires active thought.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2011, 01:21:13 am »

I tried to get friends and family to give it a chance, but the Wii-owning farmville-playing, WoW-addicted elves simply have too different priorities. Especially after they took up worshipping Apple and actively look down on everything computery that requires active thought.
Oh no people who use the Mac! PC Legion Unite!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 01:44:01 am »

I only usually talk about Dwarf Fortress when folks around me start going on about their loot in WoW or suchlike. One other friend plays/has played DF and backs me up... bystanders prefer hearing stories of ridiculous dwarven mayhem to repetitive (loud) exchanges about levelling and guildie-drama.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 06:10:11 am »

"Oh, it's that game where you spend days and days changing your dwarves' socks."

More seriously, I got my brother (huge fan of everything dwarven) hooked in about two hours of showing him around the interface, and another friend has recently expressed interest after hearing about DF's complexity. He's got a Ph.D in computer science and Sumer culture (that's ONE doctorate. Don't ask), though.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 09:13:04 am »

Oh no people who use the Mac! PC Legion Unite!

Maybe that came out wrong. Considering there's a Mac version of DF, there appear to be plenty of Mac users who don't demand that everything has to be easy, polished and fed to them in bite-sized morsels with an associated lifestyle message.

Incidentally, if I understand your use of 'PC Legion' correctly... sorry, not a member. Smaller outfit, with considerably more bile and bitterness. Still, to each their own :)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2011, 11:25:42 am »

More seriously, I got my brother (huge fan of everything dwarven) hooked in about two hours of showing him around the interface, and another friend has recently expressed interest after hearing about DF's complexity. He's got a Ph.D in computer science and Sumer culture (that's ONE doctorate. Don't ask), though.
If you run across him in Second Life, don't let him show you any flashcards.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011, 12:19:33 pm »

I saw the learning cliff as a challenge and overcame it.

One friend gave it a few days but got frustrated. Maybe he'll pick it up in later versions. Another friend hates dwarfs. That's it. Just hates dwarfs.  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4