Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Friends' reactions to Dwarf Fortress  (Read 8234 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Friends' reactions to Dwarf Fortress
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:11:41 pm »

Anyone showed this game to your friends? How did they react?

One of my friends was little interested when i told somehting about it and he downloaded it. Soon he was like fuck this fucking nerd game and  he's been laughing at me ever since.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friends' reactions to Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:17:04 pm »

Two of my friends have tried to play it. They didn't get far, though. They prefer to play other games; I have yet to find any friends that have the attention span or dedication to learn to play well.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:17:16 pm »

One of my friends dismissed it as "weaboo", even though he's a major anime nerd.

Another mentioned it "might be worth playing" after I showed him a graphics addon.

And yet another chronically caves in his dwarves.

Pearls to the swine, I say.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:31:05 pm »

One of my friends dismissed it as "weaboo", even though he's a major anime nerd.
Weeaboo? The game where you beat people to death with their own severed limbs? I think your friend has his otaku vocabulary confused.

I've personally showed it to one friend who immediately latched onto the concept of it. The trick is to tell people about the concept they would find most interesting. In my case, I simply mentioned the complex mechanical contraptions, fluid simulation, thermodynamics, etc. He's a physics major, you see.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:46:27 pm »

Playing adventure mode on brake my colleague asked me if "This is some sort of exhaust emission simulation program?". We work in civil engineering so its professional deformation i guess.  :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »

"That game, with dwarves in a fortress." Whenever I mention it to one friend of mine I known since middle school.   I actually got him to play it for a bit for my birthday.  Made a duck themed fortress, embarking with something like 24 ducks, and making a bunch of rooms shaped like ducks.  He enjoyed himself, but apperantly hasn't picked it up again since.  Probably for the best, since he embarked on an aquifer with little in the way of actual food, and I hadn't gotten around to explaining nest boxes to harvest duck eggs for food.

A few folks in my guild in WoW played it too(which is surprising considering it's a rather small guild) the general consensus was that it was an amusing game, with incredible potential, but seemed too much like work learning the interface.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 04:28:13 pm »

"That dwarf game is going to rot your brains, dude."

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »

It generates a lot of ill will and I love it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:32:35 pm »

"That's ****ing insane" or some variety of such a statement.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »

One of my friends is intrested, but is too busy at the moment and can't get past the UI

another doesn't like the graphics, ASCII or tileset

yet another thinks it's "too complex for him" and doesn't belive DF is capable of doing all those things we know it can

I did, however, get one to play, although it required having him play minecraft first to get past his prejudice regarding graphics
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 05:42:03 pm »

One plays it a lot, and another at least knows how to play (I mean he can read the ascii at basic levels and set up a not-doomed fortress).

One said it looked like vomit. Another tried playing it, couldn't learn the basics in five minutes like Cawl of Doody, and now always talks about how horrible it is when the subject is brought up (he mad). A few keep saying they need to learn to play it but never have the time.

I mean shit guys it isn't that bad. I'm tearing peoples' eyes out with my teeth over here while my group of peasants hobo-rush them with boning knives. I hope you're enjoying facebook.

yet another thinks it's "too complex for him" and doesn't belive DF is capable of doing all those things we know it can

So he says it's beyond him but then doubts it can do all the things you're saying it can? How contradictory.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:26:42 pm »

My friends reaction to the game and hearing some stories of it have lead them to ban me from playing Dwarves in DnD.

:'(
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:01:46 pm »

I spun my friends tales of hacking wolves in half and using their remains to kill the rest of the pack. Tales of death levers that collapse mountains that don't get pulled because one bearded retard decided to go have a drink. When I finally showed them the game, almost all of them immedietly dismissed it as "The fu*k is this?". I did, however get a few of them to start successful fortresses and I even taught my 6 year old cousin to play adventure mode, on a Mac. I should get some kind of award for that one.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:33:59 pm »

I spun my friends tales of hacking wolves in half and using their remains to kill the rest of the pack. Tales of death levers that collapse mountains that don't get pulled because one bearded retard decided to go have a drink. When I finally showed them the game, almost all of them immedietly dismissed it as "The fu*k is this?". I did, however get a few of them to start successful fortresses and I even taught my 6 year old cousin to play adventure mode, on a Mac. I should get some kind of award for that one.

Yeah, "What the fuck am I looking at?" and "How the hell do I..." are what my friends ask me when cave and try to play it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:56:03 pm »

So he says it's beyond him but then doubts it can do all the things you're saying it can? How contradictory.
I guess I forgot to mention that he is crazy, in a rather annoying way sometimes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4