Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mysterious Castle  (Read 6143 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Castle
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 01:59:26 am »

Luckily, I have a school-supplied mac with me. Time to test this out....See ya in a bit.

Edit: Being turned into a kobold seems to make it too easy...Haven't gone too far yet though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:12:35 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

eclectocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 03:14:57 am »

Psst... assuming you're using OpenGL or whatnot for the Mac version, you (probably) don't need to switch for Windows. No need to fiddle with DirectX if you've already got experience with a different rendering scheme!  ;)

I'm using mingw with SDL 1.3 and had so many compilation and linking problems I ended up using a prebuilt SDL on windows which is built for DirectX.

your website says linux but I dont see any linux DL on the indieDB wesbite

got any linux?

Sorry! Not yet, but now that I've tamed scons I should be able to pop one out soon. I'll get around to it.
Luckily, I have a school-supplied mac with me. Time to test this out....See ya in a bit.

Edit: Being turned into a kobold seems to make it too easy...Haven't gone too far yet though.

Yeah, It's just a lazy 'feature'. If you die and reincarnate just treat it as a real 'death' and start a new game. There are lot's of loose ends to attend to, like a real endgame and such.

Thanks for playing!

PS. I'd like to mention that there is no built in help but if you open the README all the controls are detailed at the top. It's a very short section as the game is designed to have simple controls.
Check out my graphical party based roguelike, Mysterious Castle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 04:58:49 am »

So... anyone got tips for keeping yer dudes alive? Last run (Half-ogre,  human, dwarf) did alright, but dropped like flies when it ran into an orc/demon battle (ran from) and an elf party in quick succession. Managed to kill probably 30-40 kobolds, some skeletons, a cube, and a gazer, but the tougher stuff just wrecked me.

How do you deal with demons, period, actually. One of my runs got TPK'd by a single one of those buggers :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 06:06:19 am »

Hm, started a new game on the windows port, move about four steps and open a crate, game crashes. Well, it looked promising up to that point, at least. :p

Ah, just noticed the readme says it's for 32-bit windows, not 64. Alas, foiled yet again by having too much RAM. :<
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

eclectocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 08:20:05 am »

So... anyone got tips for keeping yer dudes alive? Last run (Half-ogre,  human, dwarf) did alright, but dropped like flies when it ran into an orc/demon battle (ran from) and an elf party in quick succession. Managed to kill probably 30-40 kobolds, some skeletons, a cube, and a gazer, but the tougher stuff just wrecked me.

How do you deal with demons, period, actually. One of my runs got TPK'd by a single one of those buggers :-\

Hey! First off, thanks for playing.

Demons are nasty. The first line of defence is to run. If they chase you, try to lead them to another party. Or your spellcaster can cast 'flash' to blind them and give you a chance to escape. If you do have to fight them, then never stand and trade. Always hit them and back away, that way they'll never be able to flurry attack you. If your mage has the 'iceray' or 'blast' spells, that hurts them pretty good. If you've got an archer, have them 'snipe'. Same advice goes for Giants.

Elves hit hard but fold under pressure. They don't have a lot of hit points, so concentrate all attacks on one until it drops and move to the next one.

Also, due to a stupid last minute change, I introduced a bug which uses the level size to determine how much treasure to spread around. So medium size levels (the default) will always have medium 'items'. If you want a better chance against high level monsters, then create a large level and load up on items and books before venturing into caves.

Again, thanks for playing! I hope you have fun. I've got lot's of encouraging responses today, and found the motivation to add 4 new player races (halfelf, gnome, gnoll, troll) and implement sound for Windows.

Hm, started a new game on the windows port, move about four steps and open a crate, game crashes. Well, it looked promising up to that point, at least. :p

Ah, just noticed the readme says it's for 32-bit windows, not 64. Alas, foiled yet again by having too much RAM. :<

If I had 64 bit Windows I'd compile a version for it :( sorry.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 04:33:44 pm »

So this has windows now?

But... i've got lots of things to play! What do I do?

Everybody!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 04:47:07 pm »

Saw this on...roguebasin a while back, but never tried it. Downloading it now :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 07:37:05 am »

Ok, ok, I just downloaded it. I might not have the right type of windows, i've no way to check... except by playing this game of course!
Everybody!

eclectocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 12:45:10 am »

Hey!

Mysterious Castle 1.5 is available for free on OSX and "support indie games" ware on iOS. That means I'll take the proceeds and buy a copy of Windows 7 so I can port Mysterious Castle over and make it free for all desktop systems.

Please watch the trailer and download the latest version at www.mysteriouscastle.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gtLQGnjNg&feature=channel_video_title

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 12:50:38 am »

you are not in the app store on my iphone. I see you in the online appstore, but i dont sync my phone so no download until I can find it on my phone. Any suggestions?

EDIT: nevermind I found it, its just listed way down the list when i search fro "mysterious castle". I hate the app store search and categories just about as much s i hate the Steam categories.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:52:23 am by ductape »
I got nothing

eclectocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 12:52:28 am »

AAAAARGH! I don't know. Thanks for checking. I guess you have to wait a few hours? I'll see what I can do...

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 01:33:19 am »

i bought it
I got nothing

eclectocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 01:39:49 am »

Thanks! I really appreciate it! I'd also like to point out that the game you bought is going to get better and better as I update it. I'm committed to growing and evolving the game for a long time to come. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions at the homepage. Thanks again!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 01:53:23 am »

Well, because the name is long, it gets shortened on the app button. On my screen it reads Myster...astle

Lol Mr. Assle

Not sure I like the controls yet, I will Play more and think more on that.

I couldn't see any way to open a characters inventory to equip things. I'll leave more feedback later, I'm on my iPhone now...
I got nothing

eclectocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 01:55:34 am »

Yeah the controls are a little weird. Swipe from right to left to open inventory. Swipe left to right to open spellbook, swipe down to up to show options/save game. Two finger drag scrolls the screen, two finger tap centers on current character.

Oh shite, I forgot to update www.mysteriouscastle.com/playerguide.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4