Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oblivion, the little wisp that could  (Read 4522 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Oblivion, the little wisp that could
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:32:26 pm »

So for those who don't know what Oblivion will-o-wisps are, they are extremely annoying (and generally difficult to take down for the unprepared) spirit-like creatures who can turn invisible, drain health (like lifesteal with spells), and are immune to physical damage.

Well anyways, my mid-level high elf caster happened to draw the attention of a wild one one day, and I literally didn't notice it following me until I met a nearby guard charging towards me. I drew out my enchanted sword and got my most powerful destruction spell ready, but just before I was going to attack, the guard ran past me and started hacking at the air.

At first I was like... O.o guard AI glitch?
But then I saw that wisp appear and I understood.

Rather than help the guard take on the wisp, I found this situation rather amusing, so I just stood at the side watching.
The wisp killed the guard without taking so much as a scratch of damage (being physical immune spirits), so I thought, hey, maybe I could cause a bit of mischief with it :D.
I lured the wisp to the outskirts of Skingrad (a nearby city) and just watched as 3-4 people flailed futilely at it with axes, clubs, and fists. A few nearby guards tried shooting the thing with arrows, but that of course did nothing as well.
Eventually, all that was left was a pile of bodies (which I looted for gold) and the wisp, still levitating about.

I decided to shoot the wisp down with a few fireballs (they aren't immune to magic), but I'm just kinda thinking, what if I decided to let it go in the city itself? Would it be able to take out half the city before someone gets smart enough to shoot it down with spells? Why don't they have any magic casting guards around? I mean in theory, two or three wild wisps could basically take over all the cities in the game if their AI allowed them to.

Just a thought.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Oblivion, the little wisp that could
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:34:34 pm »

It'll just keep murdering until it gets close to A) the academy (where there are magical guards) or B) one of the relatively numerous citizens who cast spells when provoked.

So really it depends on the district.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:44:10 pm »

No clue how it works in oblivion, but I know in morrowind, if you really felt like it, you could build yourself a spell that applied various defensive effects on touch or target -- i.e., your enemies, if you've got reason to do so. If oblivion's got something similar, what's stopping you from following the wisps around keeping them high on antimagic buffs?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:48:37 pm »

Actually, the Arcane district (?) of the Imperial City would be pretty safe, since battlemages are there. I don't know if they actually use offensive spells, though.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:53:11 pm »

Will-o-wisp: FRIENDS! :D
People: Our attacks! They have no effect! we must STICK TOGETHAH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:41:11 pm »

Actually they arent immune to silver or deadric weapons. But i still hate them..

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:42:17 pm »

Technically, they're not immune to physical attacks, just normal weapons(unenchanted, below-Silver material).

They are a pain in the ass, since they also happen to drain Strength. I've never tried luring them into a city before.

Also fun that I've never tried, area frenzy spells into a crowd. Although, I'm not sure if that makes them attack each other, or just you.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:47:34 pm »

Also fun that I've never tried, area frenzy spells into a crowd. Although, I'm not sure if that makes them attack each other, or just you.
They should attack each-other just fine. In fact, Frenzy is the best way to clear any group of enemy. Especially those damn bandits who keep hammering you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:24:16 pm »

My Oblivion Archmage had no trouble with them, since he had 100% magic resist, or reflect, I forget which. The wisps' attacks basically just didn't work at all, so he could kill them with impunity. He was also able to switch equipment or use spells to get to the maximum armor rating, and then fight an ogrim at point-blank range (even allowing it to punch him, since it barely had any effect).

At that point the game started to get a bit boring. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:25:53 pm »

Reminds me of running into a town with the Grey Cowl on, getting guards to attack me, then taking the Cowl off. The guards attacking me then become enemies of anyone nearby, who then attack them, and that might make THEM enemies to other people, and so on and so forth.

tl;dr a simple equipping and then later unequipping of a certain mask can cause a glorious loyalty cascade.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:31:13 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:06:08 am »

Oblivion, the way it's not meant to be played.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:21 am »

I still remember the first time I encountered one of those.  It kicked my ass and I had to run away.  It's one of the few well done oblivion creatures.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 12:06:19 pm »

1) Open the construction set
2) Find the summoned skeleton creature
3) Give it the 'summon skeleton' spell and enough magicka to cast it
4) ???
5) Profit!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:07:27 pm »

If I'm right, aren't all city guards equipped with silver weapons so shit like this won't happen?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:07:50 pm »

1) Open the construction set
2) Find the summoned skeleton creature
3) Give it the 'summon skeleton' spell and enough magicka to cast it
4) First skeleton dies/despawns
5) No more skeleton army
Fixed.