Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Layouts  (Read 18053 times)

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Lavis, the Mountain Titan
    • View Profile
Fortress Layouts
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:08:02 pm »

Lets see your best fortress layouts! Sadly I'm on a mac and can't figure out how to do a screen shot on the wireless keyboard but once I figure it out i'll post mine.

But for now, lets see yours!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Layouts
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:12:44 pm »

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:16:17 pm »

Too lazy to take screenshots right now, but I'll describe the scene.

There is blood EVERYWHERE! Oh God, how did this happen! Oh, right, elves...

Other than that, it is all above ground (I challenged myself and started with no items). I have a few stockpiles scattered around, with their corresponding workshops beside them. I also have a dormitory made out of wood 11x11 in size west of the stockpiles. Then to the north and east, I have two bridges spanning across the river. This is all built on desert terrain.

Did I mention blood is everywhere?
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »

I think he meant that he can't figure out how to do it with his specific keyboard.

Normally my forts are a lot purtier than this, but I said "Screw it" to aesthetics this time around.

z-0 (AKA: Outside)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
z-1 (Workshops, dining hall, etc.)
z-2 (Hospitals, Jails, Bunks, Storage)
z-3 (Somewhat similar to z-4 and z-6>caverns. Except later on I start using a cross pattern with separate rooms for different stockpile types. Also some are bigger than others. As well, the stairs move to different hallways so I can use trap corridors to slow down troglodytes and the like)
z-5 (The crypts)
The Caverns (According to the vegetation, this should be the second or third layer. But this is where I first breached. I think the volcano has something to do with that)
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:16 pm »

Thanks girlinhat. I was looking for how do do it in windows using the mac keyboard, but your post made me not be lazy and find out how to do it. So here is my fortress!

I love abstract and complex structures for my fortresses. This one has a few little problems but all in all I am quite happy with it. The stairs you see in a ring near the center lead up to individual stockpiles that are close by the workshops where they are needed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »

Gotta admit, that's a pretty boss Diskfort.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:29:09 pm »

That's awesome!
I haven't played in a while (just dropped by the forums for no reason) and I have to say that sadly my forts are always well-organized but kind of bland in design.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:29:20 pm »

Gotta admit, that's a pretty boss Diskfort.

Thank you! ^^

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:32:09 pm »

Makes me think about how I might make a real diskfort.  It would namely be a large donut-shape suspended in the air from a central column (or maybe several outer columns).  The issue I always have, is how to utilize the irregular room shapes.

bbucsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 06:35:10 pm »

Makes me think about how I might make a real diskfort.  It would namely be a large donut-shape suspended in the air from a central column (or maybe several outer columns).  The issue I always have, is how to utilize the irregular room shapes.

For mine I made the inner, alrger rooms the workshops with stockpiles in a layer directly above the workshops. Then the outer rooms are all bedrooms for my dwarves. No nasty dorms for these guys!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:05:03 pm »

I don't have any active forts just at the moment, but I build my workshops in 3x4's, and use Up/Down stairs to stockpiles above and below them.

Technically, I have an active fort, but it's about to die and it's all above ground anyway.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:22:00 am »

Thats one sick ass fort.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Demilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:24:57 am »

You could have some sort of kinetic kill system, dropping metal columns onto invaders below...But that would require caveins to be on. Hmm. Need physics to facilitate kinetic bombardment implemented, to transform dense objects into meteors.

DeadlyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 09:03:29 am »

My efficiency layout: the Modified Windmill-Cube Base. My fortresses used to be 6-7 levels like this plus a level on top for security/trading and a level on bottom for security/mining access/cavern access. Pros: efficiency, adaptability, and how easy it is to setup. Cons: aesthetically boring.

I found a smaller version of the cube design on the forums. Expanded it to be 32x32 to make it easier to build. Added the Modified Windmill Villas to the four corners. With the Modified Windmill Villas being chopped in 4ths they are able to support an additional four bedrooms per floor improving efficiency. All bedrooms can also be expanded to 1x4 to add a statue per room.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 09:41:13 am »

here http://postimage.org/image/xx756n8/

Here is another. This one will hurt your eyes!  http://postimage.org/image/2ttrcrsec/

and another http://postimage.org/image/j3p4c1yc/

and another one, at the moment of defeat http://postimage.org/image/2p93rw0h0/

and another one which I abandoned due boring design (main floor) http://postimage.org/image/2pe5p06sk/

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:00:20 am by dwarfhoplite »
Pages: [1] 2